Alien Resurrection (PS1)

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Megamixer

Alien Resurrection (PS1)

Post by Megamixer » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:52 am

Anybody else really like this game? I'm currently playing through it for the first time and I was expecting something pretty dull if I'm honest but I've been pleasantly surprised. Loving the tense and creepy atmosphere with the aliens suddenly appearing from around corners, behind you or from above. Feels pretty challenging too. Plus, it's a billion times better than the horrible film of the same name; a rare example of a game being better than the movie it was based on.

I realise that most probably prefer Alien Trilogy but does anybody else really like Resurrection too?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Britnostalgic

Re: Alien Resurrection (PS1)

Post by Britnostalgic » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:21 am

If it's the one I'm thinking of, then yes it is good! The PS was a fantastic console, still remember the day I bought it... fond memories.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:32 am

Here's a gameplay vid to jog your memory :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTL1w7JdKv8
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:03 pm

I'll give Resurrection a go after the recommendation, although it won't take much to be better than the film! Alien Trilogy has dated somewhat badly and the Aliens look more comical than scary

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:11 pm

Don't remember playing that one...was it made by Activision? The engine look very similar to the PSX version of Quake 2.

Sherringford Hovis

Post by Sherringford Hovis » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:29 pm

Developed by the now defunct Argonaut Games.

Trust me, I know.
I think therefore I'm right!

The Mask Seller

Post by The Mask Seller » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:42 pm

I got this when I re-bought a PSone back in the summer. I had it when it first came out and and loved it, very, very hard and horribly scary, the sound design was awesome and more than made up for the graphical limitations. There's a lot of instant deaths which can be frustrating so you have to memorise where the aliens pop out if you're going to progress. Never played it with the Playstation mouse, dunno if that'd make it any easier. I'd recommend it to anyone, think it's underrated and really shows what the PSone could do when pushed.
"Only the guilty have anything to fear. And the innocent, if we're having a slow day."

necronom

Post by necronom » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:49 pm

I think I liked it, though it's difficult for me not to like a game with Aliens in it.

I think that's the one that I played with a mouse, though I do remember the controls being a bit strange.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:56 pm

necronom wrote:I think I liked it, though it's difficult for me not to like a game with Aliens in it.

I think that's the one that I played with a mouse, though I do remember the controls being a bit strange.
Yeah it is mouse-compatible but I find the pad controls to be competent.

Man, reaching a save point in this game is such a relief :shock: . The aliens take quite a chunk of your life away when they attack so it's important to kill them as quickly as possible. The first few were tough when I only had the pistol but I've currently got a pulse rifle with over 500 rounds so that'll do nicely :)

Also love the fact that a face-hugger can get you and if you don't have the required item to get rid of it, a timer bar hits zero and a hatchling bursts free of your gut with a hospital-style 'flatline' sound in the background.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:23 pm

This games ok.I also bought it on release and was really blown away by the gfx and drawn into the atmosphere, however playing these days is a bit rough. It's very slow plodding affair with bad aiming controls imo. and with very few checkpoints/saves (but that could be a plus point depending how you look at it). So yeah it's tough, great atmosphere though but just like Doom 3 for me, it wasn't an enjoyable videogame experience. After a few hours it got very boring. But I sure could appreciate what it was trying to do and it succeeded in many ways.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:24 pm

That looks about 50, 000, 000, 000% better than Trilogy. Y'know, in Trilogy the player charicter could run faster than the bullet rounds so you could fire, charge past your bullets and walk into their path....
The Mask Seller wrote:I got this when I re-bought a PSone back in the summer. I had it when it first came out and and loved it, very, very hard and horribly scary, the sound design was awesome and more than made up for the graphical limitations. There's a lot of instant deaths which can be frustrating so you have to memorise where the aliens pop out if you're going to progress....
That would be a perfect description of the orignal Alien vs Predator on PC.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:30 pm

Bit of triva:Game was originally a 3RD Person affair and got a good way through development (got good few pages of previews from magazines at the time), Before developers realised it just was`nt scary/atmospheric enough, so scrapped it and started from scratch.Loved the game at the time, really pushed the PS1 hardware, but find it horrendous to play with a pad, Mouse is essential. Had high hopes for the DC conversion, but that was sadly canned early on. Still a far superior Aliens game to Alien Trilogy though.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:31 pm

wasnt the release of this game really delayed for some reason? I remember a really cool trailer, but never played the game.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:41 pm

thevulture wrote:Bit of triva:Game was originally a 3RD Person affair and got a good way through development (got good few pages of previews from magazines at the time), Before developers realised it just was`nt scary/atmospheric enough, so scrapped it and started from scratch.Loved the game at the time, really pushed the PS1 hardware, but find it horrendous to play with a pad, Mouse is essential. Had high hopes for the DC conversion, but that was sadly canned early on. Still a far superior Aliens game to Alien Trilogy though.
I know what you mean with the pad controls. I find the general pad control scheme to be very good and the aiming okay until it comes to frantically blasting at aliens when they're in your face. I just assumed that I was panicking and that was the reason for my aiming going haywire. Might have to pick up a PS mouse at some point and give it a go with that.

All this talk makes me really want to carry on with the game right now :)

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:45 pm

I had a PS mouse at the time-Heavily into Xcom at the time and controls felt vastly improved.returned to game few years later, No mouse and i was very dissapointed.Felt i was controlling via couple of shovel handles, aiming? more like thrashing in general direction of.That combined with difficulty level meant i spent less time on it, 2nd time around.