Fallout 3: What is it I don't see?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

witchfinder

Re: Fallout 3: What is it I don't see?

Post by witchfinder » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:05 pm

I love it - I've been playing the GOTY edition on PS3 for several months and have over 120 hours play time on it. Still got a couple of the DLC packs to work through but am aiming to be finished with it by the end of next week so I can move on to some other games... I do wonder how many of those 120 hours have been spent looking in boxes though! ;)

If you've been playing for 5 hours and haven't got any guns or got to grips withe the combat system, something is definitely wrong. Head to the nearby school when you leave the vault and you should find some fairly ripe for the picking Raiders that have a variety of weapons.

The only thing that annoys me is the game locking up like crazy in the DLC packs (Point Lookout and Mothership Zeta particularly)
The 100k Challenge - 40 Arcade Classics. 2 MAME Cabs. 1 Average Gamer.
Mastertronic Chronicles - Mastertronic C64 Game Collecting and Reviews
My Youtube Channel (featuring Mastertronic, Funspot, REPLAY and more!)

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:54 pm

While I can appreciate what people see in the game it just does nothing for me and it wasn't through lack of trying. I've bought the game 3 times now and failed each time to get into it. I lack the patience to sit there and do everything as I find it soooo boring. It doesn't really have any gameplay as such, it's just open ended adventuring which I don't think is really my thing. Also the underground tunnel sections were horrible. Maybe you just gotta be in the right mood for it?

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:57 pm

bsg wrote:Thank the lord it's not just me then - I gave it around 4 hours real time play and just thought it was... meh!

It's one of the games I keep promising to go back to again and again, but never do :|
You both lasted longer than me. 2 or 3 hours was my limit.

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:08 pm

C=Style wrote:It doesn't really have any gameplay as such,
So lets have this explained then.

What stumps me is that when I'm playing Fallout 3 I am acutely aware that I'm playing a game. And yet, apparently, I must be wrong because there's no gameplay as such.

This is is something that's been bandied about quite often on this forum over the years . The fact that a game "has no gameplay". Even though it's very definitely a game that's under discussion.

What exactly is "gameplay" then?

What games have it and what games don't?

When a game "has no gameplay" then what is there filling the empty hole in its place?

It's all very confusing. Space Invaders has no gameplay as such when you look at it. There's just not a lot there. And despite all of Fallout 3's many game elements there's also hardly anything there according to our resident forum experts. It's a puzzle alright, A real head scratcher.

Looking forward to it all being explained. Really looking forward to it. Take it away C-Style.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:37 pm

Calm down crunchy, I already said that it's not a game for me. It's just my humble opinion, I don't mean it as fact obviously. Maybe the expression 'playability' is better suited in this case. To me gameplay = a fun and addictive experience. I got none of this with Fallout 3. Simple as that, it's not to my tastes but I can see why some people like it.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:45 pm

Crunchy wrote:
C=Style wrote:It doesn't really have any gameplay as such,
So lets have this explained then.
Someone told me that Final Fantasy VII had no gameplay. It seems that some people cannot see past direct input actions and look at more strategy based games.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:33 am

sscott wrote:I have also put just a few hours in, preferred Oblivion, think I find the setting a little uninspiring but maybe I just haven't given it enough time?
Actually, for me, the setting is exactly why I loved it so much. I’ve never really been a huge fan of the classic fantasy fayre of the typical RPG. The futuristic, post-apocalyptic setting is the best thing in the game for me. Yes it is all a bit desolate, but it’s meant to be.

There are some things that are annoying, like the occasional bug (although it only completely froze once) and the fact that fast travel only works in some places (and not in others, most notably Moresti station), meaning you have to shlep through tunnels or whatever to get to a place you can fast travel. Also, the game dumped me into a pack of dogs once after a fast travel. Oh, and I think Bethesda only hired, like, 3 voice actors for the whole game. And the radio only plays a handfull of songs, which will drive you mental eventually.

Overall though, the gameplay is excellent. It is RPG gameplay though. So if you don’t fancy the idea of doing side quests to level up, travelling back and forth with enemy items and selling them to the shops, you probably won’t like Fallout. You’re missing out on an adventure though!

Scapegoat

Post by Scapegoat » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:20 am

This definitely seems to be a Marmite game, because I'd class this game as my all time most enjoyed game.

And to echo what others have said, 5 hours and no weapons? I didn't think that was possible. At the risk of sounding like a snob, you must be playing really oddly to be in that situation.
HADDOCKEN!

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:54 am

For me, its my favourite single player game of this generation... imho nothing else comes close - or could grip me like Fallout 3 did.

Dave300

Post by Dave300 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:54 am

I thoroughly enjoyed Fallout 3, and completed all five expansions. I think you need to be an RPG-lover at heart to enjoy it - as the emphasis is on story development, levelling up, and inventory management, as opposed to being a fun shooter. horses for courses and all that...

thelatestmodel

Post by thelatestmodel » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:19 am

Fallout 3 is without question one of my top 5 games ever.

For me, it's all about the atmosphere and game world. I love post-apocalyptic settings, and this has to be one of the finest examples ever created. Even just standing on a rocky outcrop looking across the wasteland sends a chill down my spine. Exploring derelict buildings and abandoned subway tunnels is endlessly thrilling.

I love the 1950s aesthetics and styling, and there's just the right amount of humour to keep things from being too bleak. There are back stories and literature for just about everything, it's as deep as you want it to be.

In terms of actual gameplay, sure, it's nothing more than a clone of Oblivion (or Morrowind, or any other first-person RPG you care to mention), but the overall experience you get from the setting is just spectacular, nothing comes close. It's a work of art.

will2097

Post by will2097 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:07 am

I loath this game too.

The whole growing up part is contrived and boring. It reminded me of the drawn out and boring Half Life intro. The whole freedom thing is illusion. I wanted to run a Holy Crusade against the Church of the Atom, and it wouldn't let me murder everyone, because obviously there was a critical character in there somewhere. I did murder some people, but when I went outside I got shot apart. The murdering wasn't particularly fun either. I eventually, after about 3 hours, got bored of looking for water leaks. It reminded me of Far Cry 2, in so much that was crap too. Although in Fallout I didn't have Virtua Malaria to contend with so that's something.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:30 am

will2097 wrote: Virtua Malaria
Was that developed by Sega of Africa?
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:09 am

I'm not an RPG fan, but I'm trying to get into this. It clearly DOES have gamplay within it and it DOES have a lot of freedom to play as you wish.

To say "I murdered some people and got shot" - well, isn't that what happens in COD and lots of other games?!?

And if you play without VATS, then I'd suggest you read the manual - I tried it without VATS and didn't get on at all, it was frustrating.

Is it brilliant? Well, I'm still starting out, about 5hours in - and in the context of this game, 5hours is nothing. I can see why some hate it - I'm still on the fence, but I WANT to like it . . its a new game type for me (well, I played RPG 20 years ago, but that doesn't count!)
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

famicom69

Post by famicom69 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:56 am

C=Style wrote:Also the underground tunnel sections were horrible.
This. Loved the wasteland setting. Loved VATS. Loved the characters. Hated everything else. So tedious.