Fallout 3: What is it I don't see?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

MediaCult

Fallout 3: What is it I don't see?

Post by MediaCult » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:15 pm

Fallout 3 sucks.... I've been trying to get into it for 5 hours now, no luck. No weapons, clumsy melee combat, clumsy and ugly inventory overview. WTF is the hype all about? Missions are totally linear, you die because of a shitty battle system you feel you have no control over whatsoever. I don't get this game :?

It's so censored annoying, the combat and everything, feels like you have no control over anything. I'm pissed!!!! Because I feel like I'm missing a great game experience... But I can't help but hate it! WTF! And I consider myself VERY tolerant with mistakes in games etc. But this..!? No fun at all. Just wandering around avoiding combat... And again: That inventory and whole menu screen overview is so ugly and messy! Bullshit! And the whole atmosphere of the game....
MobyGames profile: http://www.mobygames.com/user/sheet/userSheetId,131075/
PSN/Microsoft/Wii U/STEAM nickname: MediaCult (feel free to add me).

RetroAerosmith

Re: Fallout 3: What is it I don't see?

Post by RetroAerosmith » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:22 pm

Ive tried to like it too...maybe i havent given it as much time as you either. I remember the first hour was all birthday and growing up stuff, then wandering into some brown land got attacked by some "punks" with guns and died, tried again got attacked again by some dog and died, went the opposite way and ended up in a town where i stopped a bomb from ticking and had to meet someone in a bar or something...now everytime i try to play it i just get bored.

bsg

Post by bsg » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:24 pm

Thank the lord it's not just me then - I gave it around 4 hours real time play and just thought it was... meh!

It's one of the games I keep promising to go back to again and again, but never do :|
http://www.youtube.com/user/bsg7 < my Youtube games review / collection channel

Kilb

Post by Kilb » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:30 pm

Have you tried combat via the VATS? It is so much better that way

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:31 pm

Hmm, I dunno.

I found the weapons to be pretty interesting overall. I guess you do start out with pathetic guns and batons and things, but they do get better. The combat itself is interesting. Sure, you can do it realtime, but I prefer using VATS. It allows you to take your breath and place your shots and then watch the gruesome results. I also like how you can see a direct impact of your upgrading in VATS - precise hits become much easier the higher your stats go.

The inventory is a bit fiddly, but it does the job. I like how the whole UI fits into the world. All the screens are on your pipboy, rather than having an inventory screen in the menus, taking you out of the world and breaking the immersion.

Fallout 3 is a game of exploration and growth. Yes, to start with you will be cowering around running away from fights, but as you collect weapons and upgrade your skills you'll be kicking super mutant arse. The DC area is a great place to explore. I dunno what to say, I just loved it.

MediaCult

Post by MediaCult » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:37 pm

So you'd say I should play more and it will possibly grow on me?
MobyGames profile: http://www.mobygames.com/user/sheet/userSheetId,131075/
PSN/Microsoft/Wii U/STEAM nickname: MediaCult (feel free to add me).

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:38 pm

Fallout 3 is one of the most over-rated games this gen imo, I played it for hours and couldn't see what the hype was about.

It wanted to create a crappy, horrible, intorable wasteland. In that sense it succeeded, every time I turned it on I wished I was doing something else

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:23 pm

theantmeister wrote:Fallout 3 is a game of exploration and growth.
Which is why it's anathema to some players. Some gamers just aren't equipped mentally for the open world rpg experience.

I always find it amusing when people complain about the difficulty at the start . You can alter the difficulty at any time during the game.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:32 pm

MediaCult wrote:So you'd say I should play more and it will possibly grow on me?
Possibly. Or you could stop wasting your time and play something you like. Fallout is rather dull.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:43 pm

If you have no weapons after 5 hours of play I question what the hell you've been doing..
Logged out 15/07/2014.

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:11 pm

I have also put just a few hours in, preferred Oblivion, think I find the setting a little uninspiring but maybe I just haven't given it enough time?

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:22 pm

For me, it`s a flawed gem-The subway levels can and indeed do, do yer head in, espically an early on main mission quest where you have to retrive a radio dish, but there is an awful lot to love.No weapons after 5 hrs????? You have left the vault i take it?. Sweet Alien Pistol very nearby outside-Just follow the explosion.Or if you vist Megatown or any of the traders etc weapons can be had.Plus your dad gives you a B.B gun and you gain weapons escaping from the vault.Not trying to convince you, you must play this game (i found the DLC very hit n miss), But just stick with it a bit longer-Never know some of the magic may well rub off onto you.If not? Least you`ve given it a fair shot.

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:41 pm

Ive been wondering about this title myself. I always come out with something different from the shop.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:50 pm

Hows THIS for a 'Kill 2 birds with 1 stone post': I have a VGC copy of:Fallout 3, GOTY edition (on 360).Up for grabs, For FREE.1st person to Ask for it, it`s yours. So thats topical answer+Random Niceness.Who says this forum is negative? :D

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:03 pm

Snowkatt 1st there.Fallout 3 is yours. :D