The BEST 2D Platform games of ALL TIME - LIST

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Ninetyeightytwo

Re: The BEST 2D Platform games of ALL TIME - LIST

Post by Ninetyeightytwo » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:36 pm

TheSpeedOfSex wrote:Any list put here is more of a favorites list than a best of all time list.
Yes yes yes yes yes YES YES YES YES.

This sentiment should preface EVERY LIST THAT IS EVER MADE BY ANYONE EVER. Then there would be no more arguments and all would be well.

Even shopping lists. Just to be safe. You know?

P.S - with so much of communication being non-verbal, I appreciate how the above might come across as sarcastic. Believe me when I say that this is not the case.

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:10 pm

This list was just a personal thing I wanted to do, thanks for some of the suggestions made that I forgot to add such as Murumasa on wii and yoshi's island on SNES

SOme people are repeating ones I have already listed so that seems a bit strange.. Didnt want to turn the thread into everyone listing games, just to suggest more for me to add so I could get a really amazing list of 2d platformers..

Again this is just my personal opinion on the list and I did it to amuse myself as I am weird like that.

Keep the suggestions and comments on original list coming though!

Thanks

llj

Post by llj » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:07 pm

Reading these lists of games, it occurred to me that while I love this genre, I have never been that good at platformers. I buy a lot of them and play a lot of them, but more than half of them I just can't beat without cheating in some way.

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:14 pm

There's loads I like that weren't included but there's some great games in the list too :)

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:22 pm

TheSpeedOfSex wrote:Any list put here is more of a favorites list than a best of all time list.
So my favorites are...

Prince of Persia
Metal Slug series
Double Dragon series
Super Mario World
Donkey Kong Country
Megaman series
Battletoads
TMNT

Little Fighter 2

Sengoku 3

Vendetta (arcade)

Some noteworthy 3d ones are:
Dynamite Cop
Tekken Force

Ummmmm - 2d Platform games. Not so sure about the the majority of your selection there!
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

llj

Post by llj » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:23 pm

Yeah---platformers involve some jumping at least.

Side scrolling beatemups aren't platforming.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:24 pm

Ninetyeightytwo wrote:Other noteworthy 2D Megadrive Platformers (of note) include any game starring Asterix, James Pond (particularly his third outing) and Sparkster (except for his second outing).
Never did understand why everybody thought Robocod was better - Operation Starfish was such an AMAZING game - was probably cos most people had only played JP2 so....

His first outing was a bit meh but hey, can't forget the awesome button masher that was Aquatic Games either.

In regards to Sparkster - he had 2 "second outings" after Rocket Knight Adventures - are you referring to the SNES Sparkster, or the Megadrive Sparkster: Rocket Knight Adventures 2 (the better of the 2 titles in my opinion) he also had a nice recent comeback in Rocket Knight on all the current download services which I thought was a good blast but not quite as good as the old ones!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

TheSpeedOfSex

Post by TheSpeedOfSex » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:27 pm

llj wrote:Yeah---platformers involve some jumping at least.

Side scrolling beatemups aren't platforming.
I thought about what you said for a sec but the aforementioned all have jumps. The only difference is what comes out of them. But you're right. Scratch the beat em ups.

ArcadeMYK

Post by ArcadeMYK » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:08 pm

ummm have people forgotten Earthworm Jim 1 and 2? definately two of the best, not to mention most funny Side scrolling 2D platformers in existence.

I like the mention of Dangerous Dave in the original list, for some reason that was the first game I thought of while reading the subject.. i only played it a handful of times on a 286 in primary school (1994 or 1995) but it left a huge mark on me of how fun platformers can be.

One other I'd like to point out is the McDonalds Treasure Land Adventure, not saying that its any good as a game, but for the the sheer side-splittingly funny action the Ronald sprite does when you crouch and press the "Shoot magic" button "What ahve I got in my pockets???? MAGIC KIDS!" hmmm. To this day I still cant help but laugh every time I make him do that move
From Game&Watch to PS2 and Arcade in between, its been so much fun every single step of the way.

VideoGame Addict since 1989

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:42 am

Woody's World - Amiga

I love that game :D

sack

Post by sack » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:10 am

Mayhem in Monsterland (C64) - I'm not sure what they were trying to say with the concept of giving bags of magic powder to a talking dinosaur in order to make everyone happy, but it was a fun game nonetheless
A9 00 8D 20 D0 8D 21 D0 60

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:17 am

No mention of Sonic 3 whatsoever (not even when it's combined with S&K) makes me sad. :( Other than that, nice lists, ChipTune. Chuckie Egg is the first platformer I ever played, and it's still good fun.

Oh, and I'll throw in a homebrew recommendation or two for PC:

If Silent Hill was turned into a platformer, odds are it would strongly resemble Au Sable. Short but fun!

Do you like cats? Do you like angels? How about bouncy angels collecting cats? You will like Cat Planet

Bunny Must Die! - Nails metroidvania platformer with added bunny girls!

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:13 am

RetroMartin wrote:I must be one of few that disagree with Mario Bros - while it is a cracking game...its rather clunky and dated and Sonic was far better ¬_¬
BURN HIM ALIVE! :wink:

Lets not overlook Warioland: The Shake Dimension on the Wii. Stunning game which mixes exploration and puzzles in with the platforming.

stvd

Post by stvd » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:02 am

I think the SNES Mario games ('World' and '3') are as good as it gets.
I dislike the jumping/spinning/speed of Sonic.

I have trawled through tons of games (roms) to find something similar
but haven't found anything.

Anybody have any ideas? Megadrive/SNES or whatever...............

ps I've tried quite a few of those mentioned already......... :(

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:48 am

Try Zeux's World, a very respectable Mario clone with its own unique elements (inventory system, etc.). Really tough in places!

It's freeware for the PC, made using the excellent VERGE game engine.

EDIT: Looking at Zaratustra's site, it seems you'd now have to stump for the update, Zeta's World. Which means paying, but it is ace!