Oblivion? Worth a cog?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

famicom69

Re: Oblivion? Worth a cog?

Post by famicom69 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:13 pm

How could anyone complain about the caves in Oblivion when the bunkers in Fallout 3 were plain tedious. I loved exploring Cyrodiil, each settlement had a beautiful character of it's own. Worth playing again for the first time you leave the sewers and the Dark Brotherhood quests.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:15 am

actually ignore all the advice previously mentioned and play how you want to play
thats whats so great about oblivion
and if archer or what ever doesnt suit you switch to something that does
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:44 am

I loved Oblivion, but I still think Morrowind was the better overall game at least in terms of atmosphere. The setting and locations were far more interesting and varied and while Oblivion made a number of improvements in various gameplay related areas, Morrowind just felt like a really original Fantasy world as opposed to Oblivions, by the numbers, Tolkien styled affair that was clearly designed to be more familiar and generic to have broader appeal.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:58 pm

I picked Oblivion up as part of the Bio Shock 2 pack for about £9, after being recommended it on here. Similarly, I picked up Fall out 3 for a similar small amount, despite not being a RPG fan.

I've been on a course today and have been discussing these two with a colleague, who loves and has completed both. The problem is, he has no kids! Which means he can invest a lot of time into them - I enjoy them both, but its frustrating snatching 30mins here & there, they both need time. Lots of it. Its great you can play how you wish - but I find it hard to be evil!!

Give it a go - you can pick it up pretty cheat these days & it will give you hours of gameplay,
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:48 pm

FatTrucker wrote:I loved Oblivion, but I still think Morrowind was the better overall game at least in terms of atmosphere. The setting and locations were far more interesting and varied and while Oblivion made a number of improvements in various gameplay related areas, Morrowind just felt like a really original Fantasy world as opposed to Oblivions, by the numbers, Tolkien styled affair that was clearly designed to be more familiar and generic to have broader appeal.
Agree. Morrowind just exuded atmosphere, despite its myriad flaws. Oblivion is great and all (stand out moment - trekking into the hills just after exiting the sewers, and then meeting an imperial ranger racing after some deer) but once you've been into one cave, you've been in them all. I think it probably is the flaws in Morrowind that garners such loyalty, but each location is so much more memorable, perhaps less is more. After all Morrowind was 2 km across in real terms, while Oblivion was 17km!

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:12 pm

I also preferred Morrowind myself, I got so into that game it was pretty funny. I didn't enjoy Fallout 3 but did very much like Oblivion, it's a also gorgeous looking game. I just find games that are so epic very hard to get into these days, but if do manage it then it will certainly be an excellent experience.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:13 pm

il have to disagree about morrowind i found it dull and dreary
with everything looking alike and just going from one place to another was a chore
oblivion is the first tes game that worked for me

btw if you think oblivion is big stay away from daggerfall which has a game world roughly twice the size of great britain ( 161,000 miles or 467,000 km)
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:10 pm

Morrowind was good but it had a little bit TOOOOO much text (from someone who loves text lol!)

Played oblivion and some of it being voiced alleviated the above. Had a good underlying story with lots of cool subquests, some enjoyable open-endedness.

Was so good I have it on both PC and PS3 with the expansions lol!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:58 am

oli_lar wrote:
FatTrucker wrote:I loved Oblivion, but I still think Morrowind was the better overall game at least in terms of atmosphere. The setting and locations were far more interesting and varied and while Oblivion made a number of improvements in various gameplay related areas, Morrowind just felt like a really original Fantasy world as opposed to Oblivions, by the numbers, Tolkien styled affair that was clearly designed to be more familiar and generic to have broader appeal.
Agree. Morrowind just exuded atmosphere, despite its myriad flaws. Oblivion is great and all (stand out moment - trekking into the hills just after exiting the sewers, and then meeting an imperial ranger racing after some deer) but once you've been into one cave, you've been in them all. I think it probably is the flaws in Morrowind that garners such loyalty, but each location is so much more memorable, perhaps less is more. After all Morrowind was 2 km across in real terms, while Oblivion was 17km!
Had some excellent scripted 'random' events too. Like walking through the forest when a guy falls out of the sky landing in a wet (and very dead) heap in front of you. A quick search of his belongings reveals a scroll with an experimental flying spell. :D
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:17 pm

snowkatt wrote:il have to disagree about morrowind i found it dull and dreary
with everything looking alike and just going from one place to another was a chore
oblivion is the first tes game that worked for me

btw if you think oblivion is big stay away from daggerfall which has a game world roughly twice the size of great britain ( 161,000 miles or 467,000 km)
I don't think it was all alike, several different regions. I liked the Bitter coast, though 'dreary', very atmospheric. About it being a chore - once you've got the mark/recall and almsivi intervention and (imperial version of it) spells it is much faster. Obviously there are silt striders and boats too. There is still a bit of trekking to some small landmarks, but the effort makes it more rewarding, imo. It probably helps if you play Morrowind before Oblivion, that way you don't know how much quicker fast travel is!

Daggerfall was entirely randomised in game, so there is only so much differentiation though. In other words the majority of it looks exactly the same.

FatTrucker wrote:
Had some excellent scripted 'random' events too. Like walking through the forest when a guy falls out of the sky landing in a wet (and very dead) heap in front of you. A quick search of his belongings reveals a scroll with an experimental flying spell. :D
Ah yes, I remember those scrolls were worth a fair bit too! There is the Mentor's ring in one of the tombs near by, excellent for an early start in the game. If you can deal with that damn greater bonewalker. I hated those things with their permanent strength reducing spells.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:43 pm

All of these types of games do still rely on our imagination to a certain extent to make the very most of them. That is particularly true for Morrowind which I honestly felt had the better atmosphere. If I had played Oblivion first then I probably wouldn't think this.

I do agree there was a lot of reading, like full books and stuff which I did try to read but eventually it grind me down.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:18 pm

The problem I had with Morrowind was that, on the XBox at least, everything was varying shades of brown. But when I think of epic locations, Vivec City deffo comes to mind. And with increased prettiness and better NPC (read: the existence of :P ) AI came the culling of super fun magic tricks; I miss Leap and Slowfall. :(

MediaCult

Post by MediaCult » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:21 pm

Oblivion is one of the best games I've ever played. It's so utterly beautiful, especially the score by Jeremy Seule, and the whole game is just a wonderful experience.
MobyGames profile: http://www.mobygames.com/user/sheet/userSheetId,131075/
PSN/Microsoft/Wii U/STEAM nickname: MediaCult (feel free to add me).

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:21 pm

My only 'gripes' with the game:1)As far as main quest went, after taking down a few of the key things(Not going spoil anything here), got into a pattern of legging past any creatures etc, doing what had to be done and getting hell outta dodge 2) The Stealth stuff? Very hit n miss-Doing a Shivering Isles main quset sub mission stealthed up to the eyeballs, guards still spotted me.3)Final 1: Was approached to join Dark Brother hood during a sub-quest, yet the person who approached me got killed! leaving the mission area, so had to resort to earlier save.But these are sooo minor.Just thought i`d add some balance to my earlier gushing praise. An utter captivating game, Fantastic gaming world/s to explore and oddles and oddles of depth and freedom.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:55 pm

MediaCult wrote:Oblivion is one of the best games I've ever played. It's so utterly beautiful, especially the score by Jeremy Seule, and the whole game is just a wonderful experience.
would agree with that . . but.... I found it annoying after X hours.... but then that probably understandable!
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.