New Sega Dreamcast Owner!!!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:47 am

Anyone who doesn't like Shenmue is a terrorist.

Or worse, an Amstrad owner.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

fredghostmaster

Post by fredghostmaster » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:10 am

Shenmue II is the best game on the DC closely followed by Shenmue.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:47 pm

As advertised elsewhere I had to give up on Shenmue 2 because I'm not a virtua fighter god and that's what that game turned into late on.

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:48 pm

Toy commander is good for a laugh

ribster

Re:

Post by ribster » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:06 pm

Except Banjo Kazooie isn't a DC game, its for N64.
Resident Evil: Code Veronica was a DC exclusive. Don't wste your money on Shenmue. Samba de Amigo offers more fun and is exclusive to DC.
Oh no the shame... I meant Bangi-O... Kin d of sounds similar and it was late when I was checking the boards... But right back at yer... R.E code veronica was released on the playstation too and isn't exclusive...

As for shemue... well... it's the definitive game for the DC but alas this is only in my opinion and its clear from numerous threads that it ain't for everyone... However if depth and character development are up your street then this still hasn't been beaten on any console...

I have to agree about Samaba De Amigo though.... There's one that I missed.. Especially good with the maracas controllers.. Very rare...

Also MDK2.... although a little too challenging....

StarEye

Re:

Post by StarEye » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:35 pm

Duddyroar wrote:
StarEye wrote:
Duddyroar wrote: Berserk: Milliennium Falcon (also released in the West as Sword of the

Get yourself a boot disc to experience all the amazing import titles.
If your idea of "amazing" is Sword of the Berserk... :shock:
I personally thought it was a brilliant game.

If you happen to have an interest in the manga and anime (like me) then game compliments the existing 'Berserk' universe nicely. It's quite simple a title in terms of gameplay but is no less worthy than say, EA's Lord of the Rings titles, which have roughly the same degree of variety and similar visuals.

The graphics are good considering the age of the game and the music is excellent. Most of all I love the feeling of carnage when you get to work with the Dragon Slayer sword...cutting through hoards of baddies, watching them spin in the air in an arc of claret...gruesome, but lots of fun. I also liked the fact that the swinging the sword in confined spaces resulted in it clanging off the walls, meaning you had to think about where to position yourself before entering a combo.

Did you not like it, then? Shame.
The main problem I had with the game was the extremely laggy gameplay. It took a whole second from I moved the analogue stick to he started moving, and the controls were just horribly bad. But I guess that could be just me. And comparing it to EAs LOTR doesn't exactly make it any better. ;)

Demonblaze

Post by Demonblaze » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:53 am

I was looking at a copy of beserk in gamestation so I'll pick that up. I plan on looking for a copy of shenmue this weekend on my trip to ayr (I've ALWAYS found bargains in that gamestation), as for shenmue 2 I thought about getting the x-box version. I've been pretty impressed with the machine and how alot of the games have a distinct coin-op feel to them. I think if more companies had tried to make original arcady-feeling games instead of porting tomb raider and the like the machine may have survived alot longer.

Dudley

Re:

Post by Dudley » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:55 am

ribster, have a quick research of the "quote" command. Your post was very difficult to read until I realised which bits weren't you.

Duddyroar

Post by Duddyroar » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:01 am

StarEye - Did the PAL version have a 60hz option? I played the Japanese version and there's no lag there, it might be a PAL thing. I thought the controls were quite responsive. I suppose there's some lag with swinging the sword, but then again it is a BIG sword...

I know the LotR games aren't the best thing to compare it against but they're fun for a short while, which is how I view Berserk. It's as shallow as a puddle but good fun while it lasts.

Duddyroar

Post by Duddyroar » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:05 am

On the subject of Shenmue 2, I sold my DC version for £30 about a year ago and this week managed to pick it up for £3.99...on the Xbox!

tan_man

the best dreamcast game!!

Post by tan_man » Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:46 pm

one of the best, if not the best game for the dreamcast has got to be headhunter. i dont know if it didnt do that well but its one of the best games there was and still is. the sequal to headhunter was even better, which is quite rare, as some game sequals are quite simply, shi*e
tan man says relax!!

StarEye

Post by StarEye » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:08 pm

I thought Headhunter was good, but the controls and camera could be a bit messy sometimes. It was fun when it worked, but it was just annoying when it didn't. Also, the motorcycle part was a bit too hard to be any fun.

Demonblaze

Post by Demonblaze » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:57 am

Yeah I was wondering if the dreamcast version was any good. My mate Mike bought it for the PS2 and I was pretty impressed except for the twitchy controls and camera. I only ever saw the sequel for the PS2, did it come out for the dreamcast too?

Duddyroar

Post by Duddyroar » Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:51 am

Nah, Sega had given up on the DC by the time Headhunter 2 was released.

GarryG

Re: New Sega Dreamcast Owner!!!

Post by GarryG » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:05 am

Demonblaze wrote:Just sold my copies of discworld 1 & 2 (psx versions) and used the money to buy a sega dreamcast with 2 official pads, 2 rumble packs, 1 vmu and 4 games. The games I got were (in order that I enjoy them) zombie revenge, soulfighter, evolution and metropolis street racer. Just wondering if you could list some games I should check out. I'm already planning to get shenmue (and the x-box version of the sequel) but I'm hopeing to find some decent games; shooters, adventure, horror, rpg etc. Many thanks.
Well it really all depends on what you like! A lot of people just don’t realise how much stuff there is for the DC!

IMHO some of the best of breed would have to be:

3D Fighters:
SouleCaluber (Arguably the best fighting game for the DC)
DOA 2 (Good, the newer JAP version has more extras)
Project Justice: Rival Schools 2 (Good, funny, hard!!)

2D Fighter:
Vampire Chronicles (Awesome, if you can find it!)
Marvel vs Capcom (Don’t know why, I just think this one is most playable.)

Survival Horror:
RE: Code veronica (not the absence of an X)
Illblead (Hey, I know it’s not technically the best game but I like it!)
HalfLife (No it’s not a home brew port. Yes it is a fully developed commercial game)

Shoot-em-ups:
Ikuragua (IMO Best vertical shooter)
Border down (IMO Best horizontal shooter)
(Both are studiedly hard!!!)
REZ (What can I say, if you haven’t got it get it!)

Cars:
Crazy Taxt (I thought Crazy Taxi 2 was a bit flat!)

RPG:
Shemenu 1&2 (Technically very accomplished. If you like it it’s good. If you don’t it’s $h!+ )
Time Stalkers (Yes, I get to like what I want, right!!?)

1st/3rd person shooters:
Unreal Tournament (Bang, Bang you’re dead…)

Beet-em-ups:
Dynamite Cops (Good, scene led pseudo 3D beet-em-up)

Flying:
Propeller Arena (IMO the best DC aeroplanes game)

Just a few of my favourite DC games, there are many, many, many more!