Splatterhouse

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Bermondsey Bob

Re: Splatterhouse

Post by Bermondsey Bob » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:13 pm

thevulture wrote::? Is there an option to turn off the metal soundtrack, in game?
No, but it's not constant either. It's only really around for the big fights really. To be honest, you hardly notice it when it is there

Bermondsey Bob

Post by Bermondsey Bob » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:36 am

I finally completed this last night. Great game, crap ending :? I hope they make a sequel though, or a nice bit of DLC, other than more mask's (anyone brought any of those?)

TheNewMonkey

Post by TheNewMonkey » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:30 pm

Has anyone recieved there copy from the zavvi sale yet? was almost 2 weeks ago now and still no sign of it :(
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:46 pm

Bermondsey Bob wrote:I finally completed this last night. Great game, crap ending :? I hope they make a sequel though, or a nice bit of DLC, other than more mask's (anyone brought any of those?)
Which ending did you get? Not the one in my sig with Leonora? My friend says there's a good ending for collecting all Jens photo's I did unlock a PS3 Mask but not bought any of the others.. Pity they don't have 'Jen' as a unlockable characters like the BOR games
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:13 pm

Shinobi wrote:
Bermondsey Bob wrote:I finally completed this last night. Great game, crap ending :? I hope they make a sequel though, or a nice bit of DLC, other than more mask's (anyone brought any of those?)
Which ending did you get? Not the one in my sig with Leonora? My friend says there's a good ending for collecting all Jens photo's I did unlock a PS3 Mask but not bought any of the others.. Pity they don't have 'Jen' as a unlockable characters like the BOR games
I don't think there is a different ending...there's absolutely nothing about it on the GameFAQs site (or anywhere else) and if there is, I'm surprised there isn't a trophy or achievement for it. It's just a rumour that's been started by people who didn't like the ending they got and were hoping for something better. I personally thought it was fine, there's a lot of horror movies with similar style endings that never get a sequel.

I haven't bothered buying any of the other masks, I don't see the point. There is one you unlock for completing the game on the Xbox 360 (not sure if it's the same one as you get for beating the game on the PS3) but it seems to make absolutely no difference at all, asides from looking different to the old one.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:58 pm

ToxieDogg wrote:
Shinobi wrote:
I don't think there is a different ending...there's absolutely nothing about it on the GameFAQs site (or anywhere else) and if there is, I'm surprised there isn't a trophy or achievement for it. It's just a rumour that's been started by people who didn't like the ending they got and were hoping for something better. I personally thought it was fine, there's a lot of horror movies with similar style endings that never get a sequel.

I haven't bothered buying any of the other masks, I don't see the point. There is one you unlock for completing the game on the Xbox 360 (not sure if it's the same one as you get for beating the game on the PS3) but it seems to make absolutely no difference at all, asides from looking different to the old one.
I asked my friend and he said he read on a FAQ on NTSC about the Splatterhouse good ending by collecting 'Jens' photo(He's only on the meat factory).. I looked on Youtube, and some geezer called 'Fragger' has uploaded a two part good ending!! But as you say the second part with the good ending is noticeable by its absent.. The good ending got a few mentions on the comments about how it was strange how no You Tube video of it exists.. I checked Gamefaqs and there's no mention of it, I'd ask tomorrow for the link of the site that says it
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:00 am

360 ver. 6/10 OXM. 4/10 Gamestm.

will2097

Post by will2097 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:54 am

thevulture wrote:360 ver. 6/10 OXM. 4/10 Gamestm.
That's suboptimal. I still know in 6 months this will £5.99 in Blockbuster, and even then I'm going to be disappointed if i buy. But buy it I will.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:03 pm

will2097 wrote:
thevulture wrote:360 ver. 6/10 OXM. 4/10 Gamestm.
That's suboptimal. I still know in 6 months this will £5.99 in Blockbuster, and even then I'm going to be disappointed if i buy. But buy it I will.
I'm lucky.Friend bought it, completed it, just wants to complete all 3 MD games before lending it to myself.

Loftgroover

Post by Loftgroover » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:21 pm

my copy from Zavvi finally arrived so I started playing today....done the first 5 levels so far, only missed one photo piece so far too which is annoying as you dont seem to be able to select chapters.

game itself is ok, so much blood!! :lol: mindless button masher which gets better as you unlock more combos/powers. some of the side scrolling bits are a little annoying with the trial and error deaths but in the main its decent fun!

thought the mask would be annoying but other than the repetition when you pick up the different weapons its not a bad sidekick and I actually like the soundtrack. suits the game well.

unlocked the first 2 splatterhouse games so far and they are just as awful as I remember so wont bother with them again.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:37 pm

I'm rather enjoying this so far. OK its not gonna change the gaming world but its an enjoyable take on the beat-em-up. The graphics are of a high enough quality, some of the music is quite excellent - especially the 2d left-to-right bits, ok the death metal is a bit much but its not constant, featuring only in boss battles. Ive unlocked the first two Splatterhouse games and have confirmed my opinion that I've alwayes liked them. Splatterhouse three was the best of them but i have not unlocked that yet. I'm enjoying collecting Jen's mucky photos also. Typically this game has been over slagged in reviews. To me it is an eight out of ten.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

TheNewMonkey

Post by TheNewMonkey » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:12 am

Loftgroover wrote:my copy from Zavvi finally arrived so I started playing today....done the first 5 levels so far, only missed one photo piece so far too which is annoying as you dont seem to be able to select chapters.

game itself is ok, so much blood!! :lol: mindless button masher which gets better as you unlock more combos/powers. some of the side scrolling bits are a little annoying with the trial and error deaths but in the main its decent fun!

thought the mask would be annoying but other than the repetition when you pick up the different weapons its not a bad sidekick and I actually like the soundtrack. suits the game well.

unlocked the first 2 splatterhouse games so far and they are just as awful as I remember so wont bother with them again.
you can select the chapters but i think you might have to finish the game first, im on my second playthrough now and luckily all the skills/moves can be carried over! nice :D im nearly fully levelled up now so the game feels a bit easier even though i ramped the difficulty up but im sure all that will change soon..

also its a good game you can jump in and out of whenever you feel the need for a bit of mindless violence as it saves every 5 minutes :lol:
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:43 pm

:oops: Sorry for digging this thread up again, Just playing through now (borrowed off a friend, playing PS3 version, with music turned wayyyyy down).

Started off well, good laugh, but now i'm on stage 8, really starting to drag, Gameplay is far too shallow to strech out to this length, story is ok, love the Mask voice, but again, grates after a while as it's same old quips.

Really wish they had'nt put in the Uncharted-esq bits-This is Splatterhouse, not Uncharted:Zombie Island.

Stage 7 was a glitch fest:Froze my PS3, followed by screen turning black (could hear audio, call up menus etc, but nowt else).

Unlocked all 3 original games, so unsure IF i'll stick with main game till the end.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:14 pm

I recently completed this - actually liked the end credits song so much I bought it :)

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:35 pm

On last? stage-Bird trapped in Wickerman...Time limits? Sod that....had a few cracks and nooo.That's me given up.