Splatterhouse

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Paulie

Re: Splatterhouse

Post by Paulie » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:10 pm

Really looking forward to playing this. Been dead busy recently and what with all the snow, plus I'm working this weekend so I just haven't had chance to pick it up yet :cry: hopefully Ill get my mits on it sometime next week.
My trade/sale thread (Includes my feedback)

http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=23510

Bermondsey Bob

Post by Bermondsey Bob » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:09 pm

Hi. I've been a member on here for a while, but hardly ever visit, but I had to stop by and give my thoughts on this.

Basically, I think it's great :D Probably because of the previews that I'd read and the fat that it was taken off the original developers, I had rather low expectations for this. But, I've found recent games to be a little bit too...erm....heavy (I was playing Assassins Creed: Bloodlines just before I brought this and ound the new Castlevania to be a bit of a trudge through really) and I just wanted a game that looked fun to play. This, coupled with the fact that it was hard to find where I am (only Gamestation had any in), I took a chance.

The presentation is really good and I think it looks great. The only time that I think it looks poor is when it's in the 2D sections and it looks more like a PC remake than a full priced console game, but it's not glitchy looks wise and stays fast and fluid throughout. The music is prttey good and the voice acting is good too. It's quite funny in places as well. As has been mentioned already, it reminded me of Madworld on the Wii (no bad thing as I love that game too). The Splatterkills are the easiest reference point there!

I'm just over half way through now and I've found it a little challenging in places. The chainsaw boss was hard, but not too hard and the only section that has had me stuck for any length of time is a section where you need to just accross a collapsing platform bit. That took me a dozen or so attempts before I made it (slightly dodgy controls and collision there)

All in all, it's worth picking up. I have the feeling that this will be one of those collectable games in a few years as I can't see it having a wide audience and I don't think that many copies will be pressed after it's initial run!

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:45 pm

Just finished the Wicker bride level.. So far the only fights I died are on Mirror Jennifer which I don't understand and Leanora(damn that pad).. Mind I die rather a lot on that jumping part with the crumbling floor and the trail and error Guillotines..

Must admit I am enjoying it a lot and can't understand why certain sites are slating it..
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

James A

Post by James A » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:29 am

I might get this at the weekend now as i have some birthday cash to spend.

The only thing im worried about is that ive got the Fist Of The North Star game and whilst it is good it gets very samey very quickly is that something that can be said of this?

Bermondsey Bob

Post by Bermondsey Bob » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:35 pm

James A wrote:I might get this at the weekend now as i have some birthday cash to spend.

The only thing im worried about is that ive got the Fist Of The North Star game and whilst it is good it gets very samey very quickly is that something that can be said of this?
I don't think so. I played a demo of that and was bored before the end of it, infact, I turned it off before it got to the end. Splatterhouse is samey, buthas managed to keep me interested and wanting to see the next section.

I'm on the ghost train section ofthe fair ground level now. I died because I couldn't decide if I wanted to go left or right and fell into some lava. I've pretty much enjoyed every minute of it all so far :D

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:22 pm

Bermondsey Bob wrote:
James A wrote:I might get this at the weekend now as i have some birthday cash to spend.

I don't think so. I played a demo of that and was bored before the end of it, infact, I turned it off before it got to the end. Splatterhouse is samey, buthas managed to keep me interested and wanting to see the next section.

I'm on the ghost train section ofthe fair ground level now. I died because I couldn't decide if I wanted to go left or right and fell into some lava. I've pretty much enjoyed every minute of it all so far :D
The other route just has a cutscene of Jennifer with a deformed Monster hand and a Jennifer Picture Piece.. I believe you have to fight 4 mirror Jennifers, the hardest enemies in the game! She seems unkillable when the time runs out in the mirror room.. Just past the Lava you fight Mirror Rick who can be beaten easy by the dash/triangle charge move, and using the rage bar.. The rage gets refilled on the second part of the fight a load of mirror Ricks who die in one hit.. If you can get past the begin of Chapter 11 let me know 2 impossible jumps and a bad camara?

I played the Demo of fist and I think Splatterhouse was what Fist of the Northstar should have been
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:13 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
flying_delorean81 wrote:I wasn't too excited about this game but now I WANT IT! It sounds really good, will prob wait for a price drop as I've also bought way too many games lately!
It isn't. The best thing about it is unlocking 3 retro classics that are no longer classics.
Dug out original Mean Machines (IMPORT) review of MD Splatter House 3. Scraped in at 77% Reviewers felt lot of the 16 meg cart.went to waste (sound FX not improved, Space used for impressive attract sequences, Digitised mid level screens)) and was worse than Splatterhouse 2.

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:15 pm

The 3rd game was a strange one - it felt more like Final Fight than Splatterhouse in some ways. As for the 360 version, it something I'll def try out in the future when I get a 360.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:18 pm

Completed Splatterhouse on the 360 a little earlier :)

Definitely had a lot of fun playing through it, and am just trying to mop up a few achievements now (getting a few missing picture pieces mainly, I think beating the game on the hardest difficulty is beyond me...it's definitely more of a challenge from what I've played.
Shinobi wrote:I believe you have to fight 4 mirror Jennifers, the hardest enemies in the game! She seems unkillable when the time runs out in the mirror room.. Just past the Lava you fight Mirror Rick who can be beaten easy by the dash/triangle charge move, and using the rage bar.. The rage gets refilled on the second part of the fight a load of mirror Ricks who die in one hit.?
The mirror Jennifers (or are they Leonoras? I'm not sure. :? ) are a right pain in the arse. On that section, you have to pick the right mirror in each room to break before the time runs out, else they swarm in from all directions and attack you....best way I've found to deal with them as normal Rick is the heavy dash attack, just keep shoulder charging them, and it's a lot easier if you've upgraded that move to make it more powerful. Otherwise, you don't have much of a chance unless you quickly go into 'mask' mode where you press 'LB' and the spikes come out of your back etc.

I'm finding the Survival Mode arena set in the fairground extremely difficult because of the mirror Jennifer baddies. :evil:
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:22 am

c0nfu53d wrote:The 3rd game was a strange one - it felt more like Final Fight than Splatterhouse in some ways. As for the 360 version, it something I'll def try out in the future when I get a 360.
Kinda got the impression from review it`d turned into a weaker Final Fight/SOR2 clone.Also like yourself, probably will pick up current game when it`s dead cheap on either PS3/360.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:52 pm

For those on the edge Splatterhouse is £18 on Zavvi Mega Monday

http://www.zavvi.com/games/platforms/ps ... 67285.html

TheNewMonkey

Post by TheNewMonkey » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:05 pm

Rayne wrote:For those on the edge Splatterhouse is £18 on Zavvi Mega Monday

http://www.zavvi.com/games/platforms/ps ... 67285.html
That was quick! Bought

Zavvi are spot on, they seems to drop everything to £18 just after release :D
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

Loftgroover

Post by Loftgroover » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:10 am

glad my local didnt have any copies in last week....grabbed!!

Bermondsey Bob

Post by Bermondsey Bob » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:38 am

The other route just has a cutscene of Jennifer with a deformed Monster hand and a Jennifer Picture Piece.. I believe you have to fight 4 mirror Jennifers, the hardest enemies in the game! She seems unkillable when the time runs out in the mirror room.. Just past the Lava you fight Mirror Rick who can be beaten easy by the dash/triangle charge move, and using the rage bar.. The rage gets refilled on the second part of the fight a load of mirror Ricks who die in one hit.. If you can get past the begin of Chapter 11 let me know 2 impossible jumps and a bad camara?

I played the Demo of fist and I think Splatterhouse was what Fist of the Northstar should have been[/quote]

I went up that route, grabbed the picture and then doubled back. i never saw the room after the piccy on the floor. I'll have a look when I replay in a month or so!

I'm now on chapter 11 and I'm finding it hard going. I've only really died on the first section with the two snake things (I kept falling off) and the part where you need to run into the screen. But, I'm stuck on the part with the colapsing floor! I can't get close enough to that octopus thingy to attack her. I did make her fall off once, but it took too long for her protection field to wear off and by the time it did, I'd run out of platforms to stand on. I can see this bit taking me a while :(

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:20 pm

:? Is there an option to turn off the metal soundtrack, in game?