Splatterhouse

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

TheNewMonkey

Splatterhouse

Post by TheNewMonkey » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:22 am

Released tomorrow, is anyone getting it?
Im gunna rent the 360 version tomorrow then maybe pick it up in a few weeks when its about a tenner.

apparantly it got the original splatterhouse 1,2 & 3 on the disc aswell :D

Review
http://www.destructoid.com/review-splat ... 8395.phtml
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

felgekarp

Re: Splatterhouse

Post by felgekarp » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:54 pm

I believe I shall be picking this up at some point, like yourself I might wait unti lit drops in price a bit.
Splink!

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:09 pm

If it's in the same style as the earlier games then it's definitely something i'm gonna want to pick up. Pure arcade action at its best.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:19 pm

Got it today, it's really good. :)

It's not going to be to everyone's taste, but if you like free roaming beat 'em ups with lots of extreme violence, then you should like this. All 3 of the earlier games are included as unlockables as well (have to beat the main game first though), and the storyline is really well scripted IMO.

Can't actually think of any other games where your arm gets torn off, you are then able to pick up your dismmbered arm and use it as a weapon, and even get an achievement for it :lol:
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:28 pm

ToxieDogg wrote:Can't actually think of any other games where your arm gets torn off, you are then able to pick up your dismmbered arm and use it as a weapon, and even get an achievement for it :lol:
Excellent :D I love a game with a sense of humour. Might get this after christmas.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

AdyShearer

Post by AdyShearer » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:36 pm

I think there was a game where you could do that.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:48 pm

AdyShearer wrote:I think there was a game where you could do that.
Closest I can think of is one of Quan Chi's fatalities in Mortal Kombat 4, where he'd tear off one of the other guy's legs and beat them to death with it at the end of the fight.

Splatterhouse 2010 does cater for a certain demographic (loads of violence, heavy metal playing throughout) but it is extremely playable and very entertaining, the finishers feel satisyfying to pull off too (after grabbing the enemies, you have to move both anlogue sticks in certain directions...much better than just pressing buttons 8) ) so I'm not too bothered. Decent game + all 3 original games as unlockable extras = win for me.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:49 pm

AdyShearer wrote:I think there was a game where you could do that.
biofreaks ?
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

Loftgroover

Post by Loftgroover » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:35 pm

despite my head telling me NOOOOOOOOOOOO I am probably going to buy this tomorrow :lol:
have a few trades plus 12 quid on my gamestation elite card so will grab this and NBA Jam tomorrow.
bought so many games lately my shelves are full and I am having to stick things in cupboards....but this is the last game out this year I am buying so can now start ploughing thru the backlog!!

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:33 pm

Just a quick heads up...you don't actually have to complete the whole main game to get the original Splatterhouse games...as I've now discovered, you get the original Splatterhouse unlocked after stage 2, Splatterhouse 2 after stage 4, and Splatterhouse 3 after stage 8 (there's either 11 or 12 stages altogether in the main game). I've gotten the first 2 unlocked, and glad to report that the original game is the arcade version 8) ....Splatterhouse 2 is obviously a Mega Drive port (as will be Splatterhouse 3 - they only ever came out on the Mega Drive) but runs at full 60hz at least. :)

I've so far seen a nice amount of homages to the original games within the main game too, certain sections of levels are in 2D and possibly the most famous boss from the first game turns up for a fully fledged 3D encounter in this one. :)

Whilst it's far from being 'game of the year' material, I do think it's the best possible update of Splatterhouse that anybody could have come up with. :D It probably will be cheaper in a few weeks time, so it'll be well worth considering then if you're not as crazy as me and don't fancy dropping 30 notes on it.

James A

Post by James A » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:52 am

ToxieDogg wrote:Just a quick heads up...you don't actually have to complete the whole main game to get the original Splatterhouse games...as I've now discovered, you get the original Splatterhouse unlocked after stage 2, Splatterhouse 2 after stage 4, and Splatterhouse 3 after stage 8 (there's either 11 or 12 stages altogether in the main game). I've gotten the first 2 unlocked, and glad to report that the original game is the arcade version 8) ....Splatterhouse 2 is obviously a Mega Drive port (as will be Splatterhouse 3 - they only ever came out on the Mega Drive) but runs at full 60hz at least. :)

I've so far seen a nice amount of homages to the original games within the main game too, certain sections of levels are in 2D and possibly the most famous boss from the first game turns up for a fully fledged 3D encounter in this one. :)

Whilst it's far from being 'game of the year' material, I do think it's the best possible update of Splatterhouse that anybody could have come up with. :D It probably will be cheaper in a few weeks time, so it'll be well worth considering then if you're not as crazy as me and don't fancy dropping 30 notes on it.
Im really tempted by this but ive got so many games on the go at the moment ive had to promise myself that i won't buy any more till the new year.

flying_delorean81

Post by flying_delorean81 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:22 am

I wasn't too excited about this game but now I WANT IT! It sounds really good, will prob wait for a price drop as I've also bought way too many games lately!
My Instagram: @caveofpixels
My Facebook: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My Tumblr: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My DeviantART page: caveofpixels.deviantart.com

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:41 am

flying_delorean81 wrote:I wasn't too excited about this game but now I WANT IT! It sounds really good, will prob wait for a price drop as I've also bought way too many games lately!
It isn't. The best thing about it is unlocking 3 retro classics that are no longer classics.

deadpan666

Post by deadpan666 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:02 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
flying_delorean81 wrote: It isn't. The best thing about it is unlocking 3 retro classics that are no longer classics.
:shock: No longer classics??? Pffffft! I almost sprayed my coffee over the monitor reading that! But hey, opinions is opinions.... :)

I love the Splatterhouse games, and still fire them up for a blast...and my nephew loves them too, so it can't just be the old rose-tinted glasses!

I think Toxie is a proper Splatterhouse fan, and he seems to like it, so I'll probably give this a purchase when I can afford it....
Cinema Of Stuff Presents - The Undying Monster! http://tinyurl.com/nekrjdx

Let's go, Mr. Driver!

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:08 am

deadpan666 wrote::shock: No longer classics??? Pffffft! I almost sprayed my coffee over the monitor reading that! But hey, opinions is opinions.... :)

I love the Splatterhouse games, and still fire them up for a blast...and my nephew loves them too, so it can't just be the old rose-tinted glasses!

I think Toxie is a proper Splatterhouse fan, and he seems to like it, so I'll probably give this a purchase when I can afford it....
It's a case of horses for courses. Splatterhouse has been one of my fave arcade games for years (I've even got the LCD game!) and I also played Splatterhouse 2 to death back on the MD (Splatterhouse 3 was never released here I don't think :( though I've had it on emulators for a while). It's partly the storyline that's grabbed me as much as the games, just like the idea of the Terror Mask, and all that. The dialogue from the mask is pretty funny in this one I think, at one point when I died it called me a 'f**king noob!' :lol:

It's certainly not a comparable reboot to something like Castlevania: Lords Of Shadow (one of my fave games of the year), that'd be silly talk. But it is very true to it's roots and a whole lot of fun. :) In many ways, it reminds me of MadWorld on the Wii, only in full colour and an easier to control camera. Might be worth bearing that in mind before you hand over money if you didn't like MadWorld much.