Metal Slug fans, question(s) for you

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Jeremiah Jones

Metal Slug fans, question(s) for you

Post by Jeremiah Jones » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:23 pm

Out of all the Metal Slug games and their various ports...
...which one is your favorite?
...which one is your least favorite?
...can you rank the order in which you like them, even if it's just the Neo Geo set?

speedlolita

Re: Metal Slug fans, question(s) for you

Post by speedlolita » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:28 pm

Logged out 15/07/2014.

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:29 pm

Favourite would have to be Metal Slug 3, with X being a close second.

Worst would be Metal Slug 6.

In order: 3, X, 2, 1, 4, 5, 6. (havent got round to playing 7)
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:00 pm

X for me closely followed by the original game. Metal Slug 3 is okay but has several bits I don't like such as the zombies and the horrendous final stage. From there on, it's a downward spiral as far as I'm concerned; really didn't like 4, 5 and 6.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:05 pm

3 and 4
i dont really care much or like the others
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

Tepid Snake

Post by Tepid Snake » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:07 pm

Megamixer wrote:Metal Slug 3 is okay but has several bits I don't like such as... the horrendous final stage
Absolutely agreed. It's much better than everything that followed it, but that last stage and some other parts (the molluscs section) drag on way too long, and while I guess the dev team were trying to make it over-the-top by including anything, I much prefer the earlier games.

My favourite is a tie between 1 and 2.

Least favourite is probably 7/XX (I've only played the XBLA version).

In order:
2/1, X, 3, 5, 4, 6, 7/XX

(For the recrod, 3D isn't as bad as many say, although it feels very, very cheap and the cut-scenes are endless. Which is bizarre for a Metal Slug game.)
Updated 11/05/11 - P.O.W. - Prisoners of War
Image RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews & Community

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:28 pm

1,2,3 the rest suck. :?
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

killbot

Post by killbot » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:07 pm

Love the first two - the third one is ruined by the final stage which goes on and on and on and on and on...

The last time I played it I had something like 17 credits left going into the final stage and still couldn't finish it.

I haven't played the others, but I have the Anthology for the Wii so I'll doubtless play them at some stage.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:12 pm

Favourite >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Least favourite:

Metal Slug 3, X, 1, 5, 4, 2 (not really played much of 6 to say either way)

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:08 pm

Megamixer wrote:X for me closely followed by the original game. Metal Slug 3 is okay but has several bits I don't like such as the zombies and the horrendous final stage. From there on, it's a downward spiral as far as I'm concerned; really didn't like 4, 5 and 6.
This. X and 1 are far and away the best. Both can be 1cc'ed and are immaculate in presentation and soundtrack/graphics. I owned 1, 2, 2x and 3 and 4 when I had my mvs. The later ones (including 4) are mostly cut and paste efforts

TheSpeedOfSex

Post by TheSpeedOfSex » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:54 pm

X was definitely the fav among arcade goers. They even have it on GGPO.
I can finish 2, X and 3 on one credit. I didn't play much 4, 5, 6. Arcades were dying at the time.
I have finished 7 on the DS.

So in order X,3,2,1,4,7,6,5.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:40 am

The original will always be my favourite. Difficulty wise it just feels more balanced than the rest of the series and is still the one I keep coming back to after all these years. Ditto with 2/X which is my second favourite. I prefer 2's colour palette to X's but I prefer X in the fact that it doesn't suffer from all that slowdown that 2 has.

3 is a mixed bag, I personally liked the zombie level but hated the long winded final level. Loved the music in the game though.

I hated 4. Felt so cheap and unfair in places (can't stand the second boss) that I don't really play it that much any more. The one redeeming feature for me is the soundtrack which I really like.

5 was a missed opportunity. So much of that game was cut out that what we got feels like an incomplete beta rather than MS5.

As for 6 and XX, I haven't put enough time into either to form an opinion on it, 6 does seem to get really hard really quickly though or maybe thats just me.

Anyone else here tried Metal Slug (3D)? I've played a few levels of it and it didn't seem as terribly bad as I expected. Its still not great by any stretch but seemed like a fun diversion for a few hours.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Tepid Snake

Post by Tepid Snake » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:41 am

ShadowMan wrote: I hated 4. Felt so cheap and unfair in places (can't stand the second boss)
Damn right, it's such a cheap boss. There is a strategy- with the Metal Slug, get to the bottom floor, leave the bottom section of the tower alone and duck when it fires while shooting at the other sections- but it's tough to pull off consistently. The submarine boss on Stage 5 is also pretty cheap.
ShadowMan wrote: Anyone else here tried Metal Slug (3D)? I've played a few levels of it and it didn't seem as terribly bad as I expected. Its still not great by any stretch but seemed like a fun diversion for a few hours.
I haven't got very far but it's OK (I like the fact that you can hold on to weapons, and the soundtrack is excellent) but it has problems, such as the Metal Slug itself being difficult to control without getting blown up quickly. Also, as I said, it feels very cheap and has endless cutscenes. Still not as bad as most people think.
Updated 11/05/11 - P.O.W. - Prisoners of War
Image RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews & Community

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:34 am

Tepid Snake wrote:
ShadowMan wrote: I hated 4. Felt so cheap and unfair in places (can't stand the second boss)
Damn right, it's such a cheap boss. There is a strategy- with the Metal Slug, get to the bottom floor, leave the bottom section of the tower alone and duck when it fires while shooting at the other sections- but it's tough to pull off consistently. The submarine boss on Stage 5 is also pretty cheap.
Cool, thanks for the info. I knew there had to be a logical way of beating the thing but usually I just resort to spamming grenades until he dies! In contrast I swear the final boss is actually one of the easier bosses to beat in the game?
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:41 am

I personally love 3 & 1 :D