Not Feeling the Dreamcast Love

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

famicom69

Re: Not Feeling the Dreamcast Love

Post by famicom69 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:59 pm

I missed out on the Dreamcast, but back then it must have been amazing to have arcade quality titles in your front room. My only gripe with the machine is it's unreliability. Mine only works when it wants to :evil:

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:01 pm

Dreamcast Rules!!!
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:25 pm

Despite buying one when they were new and having most of the "essential" titles it's never grabbed in the same way the SNES and PS1 have. Never liked the pads as they made my hands ache after a very short time as well as the disc drive being seriously loud. The cases are also completely useless and fall apart if you look at them the wrong way

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:43 pm

I can understand this as I think the Dreamcast has been heralded as the king of consoles by some fervent fanboys. However, whilst it does have a good selection of games I think it never matches up with the PSone in terms of breadth & depth. The Dreamcast had a short shelf life in PAL regions & the US so never really got fully into it's stride. Plus all the titles which would've pushed the Dreamcast towards the end of a natural console cycle never occurred because the plug was pulled.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:21 pm

Negative Creep wrote:Despite buying one when they were new and having most of the "essential" titles it's never grabbed in the same way the SNES and PS1 have. Never liked the pads as they made my hands ache after a very short time as well as the disc drive being seriously loud. The cases are also completely useless and fall apart if you look at them the wrong way
So far I've mostly avoided using the analogue stick for the same reason.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:43 pm

Nemesis wrote:I can understand this as I think the Dreamcast has been heralded as the king of consoles by some fervent fanboys. However, whilst it does have a good selection of games I think it never matches up with the PSone in terms of breadth & depth. The Dreamcast had a short shelf life in PAL regions & the US so never really got fully into it's stride. Plus all the titles which would've pushed the Dreamcast towards the end of a natural console cycle never occurred because the plug was pulled.

that is more or less the story for al sega machines other then the megadrive
they were all not pushed to their limit and they were all killed too soon
neither the saturn nor the dreamcast deserved their ignoble demise
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:00 pm

Wonder would had history changed for dreamcast if EA supported it.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:07 pm

Fred83 wrote:Wonder would had history changed for dreamcast if EA supported it.
Ea supported the 3d0 as wel didnt they ? ;)
i wonder more if the dreamcast had dvd support if it would have made any difference
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:21 pm

Sega took a gamble with going via online route rather than DVD, Brave, Foolish even.But for those of us who had a DC at the time, even with it`s crippling flaws (33.3K modem, expensive phone bill etc) Dreamarena was superb, i used to use DC a lot for email, net browsing etc.Ability to download gamesaves to VMU etc also godsend.DC was never really going to get quality 3rd party support.All eyes on PS2 and it`s promised huge user base.So, sadly we all to often saw higher res, smoother PS1 games etc.Dc been refered to as 'Milky way' of consoles, i.e console between Playstations.Sad but true.Amazing little machine, rich textures, vibrant colours, easy to develop for etc.Lot more should have been done with the hardware.

sscott

Post by sscott » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:28 pm

Sigh. Dreamcast initially sold very well but punters were prepared to wait for the PS2 which really didn't 'mature' for a couple of years from it's release. Like most systems, you had to be there at the time, I bought it on launch day (UK) with my first ever pay cheque which made it memorable in itself. Fuckin' love the machine and have 151 PAL games for it. Are all of them classics? Course not - but the ratio of good to bad is higher than most systems I think.

Fishsta

Post by Fishsta » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:05 pm

thevulture wrote:Sega took a gamble with going via online route rather than DVD, Brave, Foolish even.
Didn't the Dreamcast use a "GD-ROM" as a unique format (a 1Gb disc rather than 800Mb, I think) to try to prevent piracy?

Also, as a 128-bit console, which is where we're at now with the PS3, it was perhaps TOO ahead of its time.
ImageImage

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:10 pm

Fishsta wrote:Didn't the Dreamcast use a "GD-ROM" as a unique format (a 1Gb disc rather than 800Mb, I think) to try to prevent piracy?
Yup,was notoriously sensitive to scratches,and the protection was eventually cracked,so i guess that lead it drop support from developers aswell.

sscott

Post by sscott » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:13 pm

Fred83 wrote:
Fishsta wrote:Didn't the Dreamcast use a "GD-ROM" as a unique format (a 1Gb disc rather than 800Mb, I think) to try to prevent piracy?
Yup,was notoriously sensitive to scratches,and the protection was eventually cracked,so i guess that lead it drop support from developers aswell.
Piracy was rife on the DC

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:18 pm

sscott wrote: - but the ratio of good to bad is higher than most systems I think.
Again with the very low output of DC pal games, this is not a valid arguement. I have 217 PS2 games and almost all of them are good with only a maximum of 10 average ones.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:24 pm

My advice is to persevere with the Dreamcast. On the topic of JSR and MSR I also felt the exact same way as you described but at some point they clicked with me and it was probably around the third time I re-bought them. They took a LOT to get into but when I did I saw JSR for what it was, an incredibly playable, addictive and stylish game, MSR was incredibly deep, you could spend all afternoon just on one track trying to set lap records and it was fun once you fully absorbed the true scale of the game.

MDK 2 and Chu Chu were never DC classics and very much marmite games, I personally found MDK2 technically wonderful back in the day but very hard and frustrating, Chu Chu just never appealed. So I'd say stick with it, there's just so many classic games on the DC it's an amazing bit of kit!