Not Feeling the Dreamcast Love

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

JD!

Not Feeling the Dreamcast Love

Post by JD! » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:00 am

As you guys probably know by now, I'm a Sega fanboy, but of late I'm losing faith in what I once felt was a brilliant console - the Dreamcast. Over the last year I've bought several games because I'd heard so many good things about them; Jet Set Radio, Metropolis Street Racer, MDK2, Chu Chu Rocket; and all of them have ended up on eBay. Let me break this down;

Jet Set Radio - I feel this game is a case of MUCH more style over substance. I find the game play boring and uninteresting and actually somewhat frustrating. Trying to land your skater on a poll to grind coming out of a jump is like landing a 747 on a toothpick. Even the style doesn't do it for me, I really don't like that hip-hop scene.

Metropolis Street Race - I know this game is about "how you drive fast, not how fast you drive" but I feel this "real world" technique has taken all the fun out of the game.

MDK2 - It's fun, but it's just TOO damn hard, which pretty much negates all the fun, really.

Chu Chu Rocket - Hated it. No idea why people love this. Can't see the appeal at all.

Now, I know there are some good games on Dreamcast; Sonic Adventure, Soul Caliber, Res Evil Code: Veronica, House of the Dead 2, Crazy Taxi and a few others, but it's getting to the stage where I'm quite stand off-ish about buying any new games for the system because I've been disappointed so many times.

RG goes on about how the system is home to some of the best games ever, so please, tell me what I'm missing.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re: Not Feeling the Dreamcast Love

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:11 am

I have lots of Dreamcast games on my youtube channel. Check em out there before you buy them.

name is retrogamerdaz

JD!

Post by JD! » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:17 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I have lots of Dreamcast games on my youtube channel. Check em out there before you buy them.

name is retrogamerdaz
Actually, I have been, Daz. It's a great channel, thanks for taking the time to make those vids.

Riddler

Post by Riddler » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:25 am

I look at the dreamcast as a home arcade machine. What i mean is that the games you see at the aracde e.g Daytona, Sega Rally, 18 wheel american trucker, Soul Calibur and House of the dead.... this system has those "Arcade" style graphics and its an absolute joy to have one in the home.

That the view i take on the dreamcast when playing it, just like when i watch a film like Spiderman or X-men. I don't take it too seriously but watch it like it's a comic.

I hope you know what i mean by all this :?

Edwards80

Post by Edwards80 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:31 am

JD! wrote:
Chu Chu Rocket - Hated it. No idea why people love this. Can't see the appeal at all.
Have you played it 4 player with a few mates and some beer? I found the single player puzzles etc. ok but this game is still a favourite in multiplayer. It's awesome :)

A remake of this as DLC is long overdue for the current consoles.

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:33 am

JD! wrote: Chu Chu Rocket - Hated it. No idea why people love this. Can't see the appeal at all.
It's the multiplayer.

It's no good playing Chu Chu on your own.

This is the game Sega should have put on XBLA before any other.

Britnostalgic

Post by Britnostalgic » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:08 am

Well I'm shocked that you feel this way about the DC... I think Shenmue 1 and 2 were so immersive, and got the balance just right. I loved playing House of the dead, OutRiggers, Power stone, Dead or Alive 2, Wacky Racers, Rez, HeadHunter, Bangai-O, Marvel Vs Capcom, Alien front online, Ikaruga, Blue Stinger, Unreal Tournament, UFC, V-Rally 2, Samba De Amigo, Ready 2 Rumble, Virtua Tennis, Quake III Areana online with friends, Fatal Fury: Mark of the Wolves, Chu-Chu-Rocket, and F-355 Challenge - probably one of the best racers I've ever played. I even had Colin Mcrae Rally 2 and Gran turismo via Bleemcast, and it smoothed all the graphics out and made everything look lush.

I reckon I've missed out on at least another 20 or 30 good games on the DC... only recently played Soul Calibur.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:34 am

MDK2`s difficulty is VERY offputting so can see where your coming from there.Brit. has pretty much listed the cream of DC goodness, i`d add:Starlancer, Hidden+Dangerous, Hydro Thunder, Rayman 2, Trickstyle, Shadow Man,Toy commander and Mr Driller.But end of the day, it all comes down to personal tastes.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:15 am

Ill Bleed one of the best Survival horror games ever
Space Channel 5
Confidential Mission
D2
Power Stone
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Fishsta

Post by Fishsta » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:49 am

I miss my Dreamcast.

I'd definitely want to play ESPN International Track And Field, Sydney 2000, Confidential Mission, OutTrigger, Virtua Fighter 3tb, Virtua Tennis 1 & 2, House of the Dead 2, Dead or Alive 2 and Silent Scope again.

It was an AWESOME console.
ImageImage

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:52 am

was ?
stil is you mean

and i like to add the following games as well
soul calibur
king of fighter 99
virtua tennis 2
capcom vs snk
capcom vs snk 2
sega rally
resident evil 2 and 3
sega smash pack v1

and im sure i missed quite a lot
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

Fishsta

Post by Fishsta » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:59 am

snowkatt wrote:was ?
stil is you mean
Well, yeah, but I meant just when it was a viable platform in the gaming market. Along with the Saturn, it just didn't deserve to fail quite so spectacularly as it did.
and im sure i missed quite a lot
Don't worry, so did I.
ImageImage

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:14 pm

You aren't missing anything as the DC is the most overrated console in gaming history. It is full of very average titles with a smattering of awesome arcade games thrown in. There is little or nothing you cannot get for another console that is on the DC.

It is a good console, nothing more. If you like the limited style of arcade gaming then it is for you. There is very little to hold you beyond that.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:37 pm

nakamura wrote:You aren't missing anything as the DC is the most overrated console in gaming history. It is full of very average titles with a smattering of awesome arcade games thrown in. There is little or nothing you cannot get for another console that is on the DC.

It is a good console, nothing more. If you like the limited style of arcade gaming then it is for you. There is very little to hold you beyond that.

i believe your now talking about the neo geo not the dreamcast ;)
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

Garry

Post by Garry » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:41 pm

Shenmue 1 + 2 of course, but i got as many good hours out of Skies of Arcadia and Grandia 2
Plus get Carrier, which is brilliant