NES Favorite Games by Genre

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

NintendoLegend

NES Favorite Games by Genre

Post by NintendoLegend » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:35 am

The more I talk to fellow NES enthusiasts, the more I realize how much genre really matters, and how much I underestimated its significance.

I have the pleasure of having a group of Facebook fans that willingly engages in discussion whenever I post a conversational question in my status update. Through these dialogues and others, concerning favorite games and best games, I really have come to think that genre preference is a huge factor in gameplay experience and enjoyment. Someone who does not like RPGs will never put Final Fantasy on their top-ten list, and someone who never "got" puzzle games will never give Tetris its due credit. Even for myself, my personal issue is shoot-'em-ups -- I never got into the Life Force and Gradius type of side-scrolling shooters, so I will never say any of those are my favorites, despite the fact that so many are passionate fans of those games.

So, fellow NES fans, I'm wondering:

1) What are your favorite video game genres, especially as concerns the NES?

2) What genres do you dislike, or even avoid altogether?

3) Can you give a list of NES favorites by genre? Like, favorite Sports, RPG/Overhead Adventure, Racing, Puzzle/Board, Platformer, Shoot 'em Up, Beat 'em Up, and Other games?

For those gamers that are more of a fan of other systems besides the Nintendo Entertainment System, feel free to contribute your thoughts on the significance of genre in our gaming choices and perspectives.
Nintendo Legend -- one retro gamer's quest to play and review every NTSC-region NES game!

My favorite retro-gaming shirt -- "Pipe Dreams"

Pssst: Use promo code “NLegend” at J2Games.com for 20% off! New titles, classic carts, whatever!

RetroKingSimon

Re: NES Favorite Games by Genre

Post by RetroKingSimon » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:02 am

Sorry, can't help you, I was a Sega fanboy :P

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:04 am

Platformers are my favourite on the NES, but I love RPGs and Zelda "Overhead Adventure" types too :)

I'm not a fan of sports games (regardless of which system they're on). But saying that, I'm more likely to play them on the NES than any other console. Funny that.

killbot

Post by killbot » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:06 am

My favourite genre is probably platformers. SMB 1-3, Kirby, Castlevania, Mega Man... the machine has quality platformers coming out of every orfice.

The genre I tend to avoid is racing games - particularly 3D ones. 8-bit examples of the genre don't tend to play well - I have Ferrari Grand Prix Challenge and it's stupifyingly boring.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

thesubcon3

Post by thesubcon3 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:08 am

While I am a fan of all genres besides for Strategy on the NES, I would have to say that

1) Platformers are my favorite 8-Bit genre. I'm also a Shmup fan as well. RPGs are great but I like them on the SNES even more.

2) Strategy and 1st Person Dungeon Crawler RPGs on the NES are just painful for me to play nowadays.

3) 3 Favorites from each genre and subgenre
Platformers - Super Mario Bros 3, Super Mario Bros, Kirby's Adventure
Shooting Platformers - Battle Kid Fortress of Peril, Mega Man 2, Contra
Shmups - Life Force, Star Soldier, Recca: Summer Carnival '92
RPGs - Final Fantasy, Dragon Warrior II, Sweet Home
Action RPG - Legend of Zelda, Crystalis, Startropics

club

Post by club » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:19 pm

For me, NES was all about the platformers. Besides Mario, I loved Mega Man 2, Ninja Jajamaru-kun, Bionic Commando, Ninja Gaiden, Batman, Star Wars, Mappy, Donkey Kong Classics, Castlevania, Goonies 2, Snake Rattle N Roll...

Other stuff by genre that I can still enjoy today include:
Sports - Hyper Sports, Hyper Olympics, Punch-Out!!, Family Stadium, Tecmo World Wrestling
Racing - Micro Machines, Excitebike, RC Pro-AM, Cobra Triangle
RPG - Dragon Quest 4, Zelda
Shooters - Gradius, Xevious, Dragon Spirit, Star Soldier, Gun Smoke, 1943
Beat 'em up - Kunio-kun, Double Dragon 2, Mighty Final Fight
Puzzle - Tetris, Dr. Mario
Strategy - Wall St. Kid, Famicom Wars

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:35 am

BERNARD BURNS wrote:Video game genres are used to categorize video games based on their gameplay interaction rather than visual or narrative differences.

no way !
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

thesubcon3

Post by thesubcon3 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:15 pm

BERNARD BURNS wrote:Video game genres are used to categorize video games based on their gameplay interaction rather than visual or narrative differences.
I'm glad he clarified that for us... I was so confused :shock: