Amstrad version of SORCERY

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

GetDexter

Amstrad version of SORCERY

Post by GetDexter » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:07 pm

I have broached this subject before but strongly feel it deserves a post all of it's own.

Virgin's 'Gang Of Five' team converted this original Spectrum game to the Amstrad, but what a bloody conversion. Boot up your emulaters and run the Spectrum version of Sorcery and then the Amstrad version and your breath will, literally :wink: (see one of my previous posts to appreciate my use of the wink after the word 'literally' :wink: ) blow you away.

The graphics had a complete makeover, as did the music. The control system and gameplay was refined and, correct me if I am wrong (although I am not) but this was the first game that really truly showed the potential of the Amstrad.

An amazing game that I completed several times simply because it was so, so good.

Also, does anyone have any information on 'The Gang Of Five' - who they comprised of, and other games that they wrote?

Cheers!
As requested by the Tw@t himself - his account was Hijacked and has had a change of password.

Sorry Dexter!

Scooby1970

Post by Scooby1970 » Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:59 am

This was, and indeed IS a great CPC game. I spent many hours of my youth playing this, and later Sorcery+ until the very end. This was a game that when my C64 and Speccy friends played, they really were impressed and wanted their games (in general) to be this good.

Of course, there are many games on the CPC in this league, but this was the first truly great, impressive awe-inspiring title (of many :wink: )

:) Mark
http://twitter.com/markyboyo
PS3, 360, PS2, PS1, PSP, Wii, DC, Saturn, Megadrive, GBA, DS & more!

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:39 am

I haven't played either version, but when I get the chance I will give the CPC version a go. I'm still looking for that elusive good Amstrad game :wink:

william

Post by william » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:39 am

and other games that they wrote?
didn't they also write 'strangeloop' for the cpc

roberthazelby

Post by roberthazelby » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:36 pm

I keep giving Daz a kick every few months about running a feature on this in RG. In fact, I've been kicking him about this since he was ed of the retro section in GamesTM.

I was a Speccy owner back in the day, but remember reading the review of this in 'Your Computer' magazine. The screenshots made my jaw drop.

Please, Daz!
Xbox Live: roberthazelby | The Retro Ranch | The Retro Ranch Blog