Next Gen or not Poll

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Which Next Gen will you buy - or are you sticking with Retro

Poll ended at Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:51 am

Sony Playstation 3
17%
Nintendo Wii or Revolution if you prefer
49%
Microsoft Xbox 360
6%
one of the handhelds psp,ds,gp2x
3%
something retro
14%
none - skint
3%
undecided as of yet
9%

Total votes: 35

Lindopski

Next Gen or not Poll

Post by Lindopski » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:51 am

Are you going to fork out on a new console this xmas or are you just going to buy more retro goods, or neither?
Retro when it wasnt cool

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:23 am

Well, you won't get many PS3 votes when you can't buy the thing until March.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:10 am

Hard to say as there's been no games reviews on the new systems yet. I'm liking the price of the Rev, but I won't be buying one until I know its got some decent games to play.

I'm sorely tempted to buy a PS2 now. Does that count?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:18 am

Wii, Wii, Wiiiiii!!!!!

Kai

Post by Kai » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:37 am

I'll buy PS3 next year after the first price reduction - maybe in late summer or winter (I can wait :wink: ). But I'll also stick to all things retro of course! :lol:

Scooby1970

Post by Scooby1970 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:41 am

Won't be getting a PS3, happy with my PS2. Won't be getting the Xbox 360 again, shouldn't have believed the hype - same games, slightly better graphics - is just not good enough.

The Wii on the other hand looks like it may offer something new and exciting to go along with all the current and retro-games I love.

Only time will tell!

:) Mark
http://twitter.com/markyboyo
PS3, 360, PS2, PS1, PSP, Wii, DC, Saturn, Megadrive, GBA, DS & more!

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:43 am

I bought a 360 today!!! Yay me!

Having said that I've spent 1 hour on Just Cause, 1 on Lego Star Wars, 2 on texas Hold Em, and 3 on geomertry Wars.....

I've just downloaded the Demos of Frogger and Scramble.

Next gen machine, or Retro Heaven?

Ergon Ronay

Post by Ergon Ronay » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:09 pm

It has to be the Wii for me...okay the Gamecube was perhaps a commercial bomb compared to some of the other consoles but playing some of the games, especially by Capcom, silicon Knights and Nintendo themselves had a certain quality.

I can remember playing Resident Evil and seeing the 'Cube where you had to put the MO disk into, also the Posters of the saved games in lockers during Metal Gear Solid plus a Mario toy on a workstation...nice little touches that you just dont seem to get with other same generation consoles. Plus everything seemed to be much more polished and considered when it came to the 'Cube.

Chances are things like this appeared in other consoles but for me these little things showed care and diligence for the platform and Nintendo.
Some people have more fingers in more pies, than a leper in a cookery contest!

muse hunter

Post by muse hunter » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:35 pm

probably both a wii and 360 (need to work extra hours this christmas me thinks). I would like a wii for thos enintendo games, i can't miss out on the next gen zelda, mario, mariokart, and animal crossing. Also the ability to download the classic mario games from the online service is a god send. The 360 will be there for those epic games and wetsern made games, also i love lionhead, and i need a slice of next gen DOA, Fable, and GTA

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:05 pm

I already have a DS and am vaguely tempted to grab a Lite at some point (although the D-pad on the one I tested recently seemed awfully spongy). I think a PSP would only enter this house if I got one extremely cheap, and it'd be an OutRun2/emulation hand-held.

As for the consoles, PS3 does nothing for me at all, nor does the 360. The Wii... well, it has a lot going for it, but I think I'll wait and sii.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

michaelf

Post by michaelf » Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:19 pm

My choice is a Wii. It's something different, can play my GC games and isn't just 'more of the same but with better graphics'. I've already got a DSLite which my other half is hogging playing Brain Training & Nintendogs so I bought I white PSP.

Why? All the arcade compilation UMD's; already got the Midway & Capcom remixed collections and there seems to be a fair few 'retro style' games out / coming out ie Ultimate Ghouls n Ghosts. The PSP reminds me how I felt when I got my Amiga; great action games, loads of potential and I still don't need to memorise 147 keypresses to play games.

And I've not even got around to doing the homebrew emulation side of things ...

Each to their own ...

pompeysimon

Post by pompeysimon » Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:44 pm

Have 360 and ds already, so has to be a Wii. Might look at a Psp again as per the last post for the retro bits and bobs but again only if cheap enough! did see one locally for 60quid with a broken analogue button but thought hmmm maybe if it was a little cheaper cause as i remember i never really used it the first time round!
If it smells of fish, then eat it!!

Utini

Post by Utini » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:20 pm

You need to add an option to the poll - None: Skipping a Generation :)
Hey, Sweden!
They're not Swedish Mac, they're Norwegian!

GetDexter

Post by GetDexter » Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:44 pm

The poll is misleading as we can only vote once and I think it is a fair assumption for us mature retro-gamers that we will end up buying at least two, maybe three of the new consoles.

As for myself, I plan to buy the PS3 and Nintendo's Revolution.
As requested by the Tw@t himself - his account was Hijacked and has had a change of password.

Sorry Dexter!

MattC

Post by MattC » Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:00 pm

I'll be sticking with my recently upgraded PC I think. It should be able to handle pretty much anything which comes along in the next couple of years.

Although if the wii is cheap enough I may get one of those.