Is our hobby the near-exclusive preserve of morons?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

StarEye

Re: Is our hobby the near-exclusive preserve of morons?

Post by StarEye » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:43 am

eh... boys will be boys.

pantal00ns

Post by pantal00ns » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:40 am

Shinobi wrote:
Negative Creep wrote:Try finding a youtube clip that isn't full of moronic comments and text speak!
I agree I don't think I ever read any You Tube comment where somebody hasn't started a argument.. Also funny how everybody on You tube is 20 stone of pure muscle and have black belts in ten different martial arts :roll:
Just Ten, what a bunch of "wee Faggots", I can break 10 concrete slabs with my censored... etc.... etc...

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:49 am

oli_lar wrote:
Agreed, probably because the majority of the human race are morons!.
Totally this. I used to try to cover the fact that I was a bit of a geek but now I am all over it. Most people are so damn stupid I would rather be singled out as a geek. My wife calls me it to take the p!ss but I just laugh!
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:35 am

thevulture wrote:..... when at school...
Nail on the head there. The vast majority of posters like this are still in school and emotionally immature. Some have left school, but unfortunately have still yet to mature. At this stage in their lives the only way they can boost their self-esteem is to act in this way.
They will eventually grow up, and probably squirm with embarrassment at the semi-literate twoddle that used to pass as their opinion.
As it happens, the Wii is actually awesome. Anyone who says otherwise is a gay.

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:18 am

I wouldn't say this forum community was made up of deep thinkers tbh.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:24 am

People put stupid comments on youtube for any clips, not just games.

There are a lot of odd people out there unfortunately!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Cauterize

Post by Cauterize » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:39 am

I think this is also a contribution from the much younger generations.

Think back fifteen years ago (I was 9 then), we had nothing like YouTube where we could leave our comments and share our views in which the rest of the world could read. But im pretty sure if we did, it might have read very similar to what you see on YouTube today. A few clicks and anyone can leave their mark today.

After all, being a stereotypical 9 year old, are you really going to be leaving grammatically correct sentences with no abuse to others?

Basically, the kids are taking over! :roll:

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:19 am

YouTube is one of the few truly global public messaging sites. Possibly even the only one, when you exclude things like facebook where you must subscribe to certain users. It has a reputation for being stuffed with morons because a) it is, and b) far more people than would normally visit the average forum can see the morons.

This hobby isn't any more a preserve of morons than any other, but YouTube is. And youth definitely is a factor. You should see what some Yu-Gi-Oh! players consider civilized conversation (I don't play Yu-Gi-Oh! but as a Magic: the Gathering player, I see a lot of leakage).
It's called a MEGADRIVE

NintendoLegend

Post by NintendoLegend » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:40 am

Not only does every hobby have their representative morons, but all YouTube has done is given them a platform to express themselves more openly, freely, and to a wider audience, without the risk of face-to-face confrontation. They've always been there, I believe. :(
Nintendo Legend -- one retro gamer's quest to play and review every NTSC-region NES game!

My favorite retro-gaming shirt -- "Pipe Dreams"

Pssst: Use promo code “NLegend” at J2Games.com for 20% off! New titles, classic carts, whatever!

Edwards80

Post by Edwards80 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:57 am

Nothing's changed.

We had a "bring your games" to school day when I was a nipper. I took my gamegear and most other folks had board games/gameboys. I distinctly remember the sentence "haha you Bell-end, you got a gamegear" - I'm pretty sure you could find those exact words on youtube today with gamegear swapped with any other console :D

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:23 am

Shinobi wrote:
Negative Creep wrote:Try finding a youtube clip that isn't full of moronic comments and text speak!
I agree I don't think I ever read any You Tube comment where somebody hasn't started a argument.
Quite so. I watched a documentary on Youtube about Jack Johnson (the African American boxer from the early 1900's, not the "soft rock" superstar!) and the comments was just one big pathetic racist debate with certain words being bounced too and fro.
Shinobi wrote:Also funny how everybody on You tube is 20 stone of pure muscle and have black belts in ten different martial arts :roll:
To see proof watch videos about special forces, and there are waves of comments from seemingly thousands of trained kilers coming out with crap like "da SAS pwn da Navy Seals. I know coz I was in da SAS"
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

killbot

Post by killbot » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:36 am

Edwards80 wrote:Nothing's changed.

We had a "bring your games" to school day when I was a nipper. I took my gamegear and most other folks had board games/gameboys. I distinctly remember the sentence "haha you Bell-end, you got a gamegear" - I'm pretty sure you could find those exact words on youtube today with gamegear swapped with any other console :D
The difference is that 'bell-end' as an insult is quite funny. There's not a lot that's funny about 'faggot' or 'retard'.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:50 am

Sega do what Nintendont
Gamecube is for babies
Dreamcast 'we're sorry to hear about Sony's shortages'

Gaming rivalry is nothing new, just that the growth of the internet has made it easier to hear the stupid comments of others

Kilb

Post by Kilb » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:21 pm

When I were nipper all we had were stick and hoop

We gasped when someone took a BigTrack into school!

And it doesn't matter which hobby you pursue, there will always be those with limited intelligence

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:47 pm

Crunchy wrote:I wouldn't say this forum community was made up of deep thinkers tbh.
I wouldn't say a forum about old games really needs much deep thought tbh.

Yes, you can treat it as an academic subject, but mostly we (or I) am just rambling. I don't want to have to think too hard here.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.