Gamer Dreams?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Sepp Salerno

Gamer Dreams?

Post by Sepp Salerno » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:40 am

I would be shocked if I am the only person this happens to, but do you find when you’ve been playing a game for hours (we’re talking over four here) you go to bed, and the images, icons, noises, etc of the game sort of gate crash your dreams?
I’m not talking like when you play Pacman or Tetris for hours and when you close your eyes in bed you see the game, I’m talking about it actually invading your dreams.

I only ask because it happens a lot to me, and more so at the moment as I’ve had this whole week off from work and have been playing Fallout NV so much I’m having theses sort of mashed up Fallout fever dreams.

Not as bad as it sounds – but I can’t be the only one of the board.
So who else has had this happen, and if so, what games do it?

Negative Creep

Re: Gamer Dreams?

Post by Negative Creep » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:42 am

After a Dead Space marathon I was in bed when I thought I felt something jump from the ceiling and land next to me!

retrogarden

Post by retrogarden » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:45 am

I had a bit of a nightmare after a marathon session to complete Mass Effect 2 - ended up having "not the best" ending - losing certain members of the crew had nightmares over! :(

Roo

Post by Roo » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:46 am

Visuals of pandas, giraffes and lions meant I couldn't get a proper nights sleep for almost a week. That's what you get for playing Zoo Keeper too much...

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:59 am

I seem to have game related dreams all the time - especially when I play to much Super Street Fighter 4 and find that I am still playing/taling about it in my sleep :?
Then there are the odd Shenmue III dreams I have every now and then that make very little sense what so ever...
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

lavalyte

Post by lavalyte » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:03 am

There's an article in The Games Machine about tetris that mentions there's a syndrome identified as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetris_effect which is basically this.
'I have nothing but the greatest respect for other peoples' crackpot beliefs' - Sam The Eagle.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:07 am

I remember a really vivid dream where I was playing a live version Brutal Sports Football in the early 90s. It wasn't that I had been playing a lot of the game, just that I had been having a very deep conversation about the morals of a game like that with my girlfriend at the time who was a teacher and thought it would encourage the kids to be rough in the playground.

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:10 am

I had an OutRun-inspired dream once where I was hacking around in an F40 (must've been Turbo OutRun :P ) with some bimbo beside me

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:42 am

After a particularly long MW2 session I once went to bed only to wake up thinking the OH was a terrorist, so I sprang into action, jumped on top of her and punched her on the shoulder (I was aiming for the face!). Neither of us knew WTF was going on :lol:

I just rolled over and went to sleep again :lol:
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:01 am

I had a dream where someone stabbed me with a wii mote, does that count?

Sepp Salerno

Post by Sepp Salerno » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:05 pm

lavalyte wrote:There's an article in The Games Machine about tetris that mentions there's a syndrome identified as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetris_effect which is basically this.
Thats not really what I meant sorry dude (read my first post above)

I also had a hideous sonic the hedgehog fever style dream with spikes everywhere and I actually woke up screaming

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:25 pm

I've dreamt about being stuck in the pre-match lobby from Gears of War - probably because it used to take so long to get a game some times.

After an 8 hour session on the Sims, I once had a dream which I viewed entirely in isometric 3d and I had a green diamond thingy floating above my head. Does that count?

Pippy

Post by Pippy » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:03 pm

I'm sure I had a Zoo Keeper dream once, as well. And Meteos. And possibly one of the Panel de Pons. Definitely more likely with puzzle games, I would say.

NintendoLegend

Post by NintendoLegend » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:45 am

Doesn't happen to me a lot, but yes, it has happened to me. I remember growing up (when I had more time, haha), if I played a game really intensely, I mean like 6-8 hours a day for a week+ in a row (almost exclusively RPGs, or games I just became weirdly fixated with -- like my "RBI Baseball Phase"), then I definitely stood a pretty good chance of having vivid, lucid, intense dreams about that game. One phenomenon that happened would be that I would finish a game... then dream about beating it but finding gameplay content beyond the normal ending, into this whole new plotline or canon, often darker or nonsensical, but it was like me as the protagonist in the game, if that makes any sense, so then it had a whole new gravity to it because it was my life on the line and I had to win (again) to get out. This could be really intense, but also surreal, when it was something like Super Mario RPG.
Nintendo Legend -- one retro gamer's quest to play and review every NTSC-region NES game!

My favorite retro-gaming shirt -- "Pipe Dreams"

Pssst: Use promo code “NLegend” at J2Games.com for 20% off! New titles, classic carts, whatever!

AdyShearer

Post by AdyShearer » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:16 am

Although i wasn't sleeping per se, but i dozed off when i was playing Heroes 3 with my uncle and i told him something related to the archers :lol: