Black-ops?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

JetSetWilly

Re: Is anyone buying Black-ops?

Post by JetSetWilly » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:48 pm

I've seen the usual jittery players, but nothing serious. Played a bit of Wager earlier. Bloody hell, is it hard! I started 1st, ended up last :lol: Still good fun though. Played a bit of Free-For-All as well, and ended up 3rd. Not bad for someone who hates FFA.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

bsg

Post by bsg » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:05 pm

I wasn't going to buy it, not until it had dropped in price a bit and the servers weren't jammed to the hilt... but whilst clearing my games room up a bit earlier, realised I was WAY anal when it comes to retro purchasing... if I saw something, I would buy it... no matter that I already had 3 of the same item!! So I had a quick shuffle of some stuff, took them down to my local Chips and traded them in, came away with Black Ops and 26 of your Earth Pound credits in the pocket :)

The bummer is (haha, I used anal and bummer in one post :lol: ), I am still awaiting Sky to send my my router of (probably not) interweb goodliness - DAMN they are slow!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/bsg7 < my Youtube games review / collection channel

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:13 pm

Space_turnip wrote:
RetroMartin wrote:Went to the midnight launch at Bristol's Cabot Circus GAME, got my free poster, almost won the raffle for a version upgrade (almost) then got the game and was home by 00:56. Played it till 02:25 then went to bed.
!
Was there many people in Bristol? My mate was running that store for a good few months, he was much relieved to get back to the tinyness of the yate store in time...until 400 people turned up last night :|

It was triple the busy-ness of the galleries GAME for the MW2 midnight launch last year...but still nothing i'd call outstanding attendance, prob 2 or 300 people....

PSN username - MartinPhantom

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:18 pm

The game arrived today and from what I've played I really liked the single player levels so far. Not a fan of the multiplayer modes at all though, I suck when it comes to online FPS games so I doubt I'll spend anytime online with the game!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:30 pm

I've played mine yesterday, haven't done the single player yet, think I'll start that the weekend. Online multiplayer is better than MW2, the guns seem to be far more balanced now, especialy without that 'Stopping Power' perk that eveyone used in MW2.

I love the Combat Training mode which allows you to play against bots. This way you can learn how to play an online type match offline, without being constantly killed and having some 10 year old kid scream at me at how much I suck!

Don't think the graphics have improved much, they were more sharper in MW2. Mind you I'm playing on the 360, bet it looks slick on a high end PC!

slightly delayed

Post by slightly delayed » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:08 pm

just brought goldeneye but I'm tempted by this, though info on the wii version seems a little scarce so going to hold off a bit
Last edited by slightly delayed on Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:16 pm

MattyC64c wrote:
Don't think the graphics have improved much, they were more sharper in MW2. Mind you I'm playing on the 360, bet it looks slick on a high end PC!
Still using the same, Sub HD game Engine for both PS3+360 versions.360 is just that bit sharper than PS3 ver.Plus better frame rate in cutscenes.Not that it matters...

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:30 pm

Wife got me a copy today from Tesco's - came with 2100 Live points. I''ve enjoyed the game so far, had a quick hop online to play multiplayer and it seems to be same old, not really my thing. Graphics I think do look good and the COD games always have a reasonably engaging story too.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:42 pm

sscott wrote:Wife got me a copy today from Tesco's - came with 2100 Live points. I''ve enjoyed the game so far, had a quick hop online to play multiplayer and it seems to be same old, not really my thing. Graphics I think do look good and the COD games always have a reasonably engaging story too.
Agree on the story in COD games, except for MW2 that was just too Gung-Ho/Red Dawn. I.Ward went tad to Hollywood OTT for myself.MW story far better done.

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:57 am

Im going to get it as I love COD games but im not getting it yet because my "to play" pile is getting bigger all the time so it wouldnt get played straight away so for me personally it makes more sense to wait for a price drop.

lanky316

Post by lanky316 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:31 am

Havantgottaclue wrote:The PC version would give the best of both worlds - high definition graphics plus aiming accuracy with the mouse.

Despite the fact that I played FPSs on the 360 for a long time due to lack of funds to upgrade my PC, now that I have something half decent to play them on, there's no contest. In Borderlands for example, I wouldn't mind betting that I've managed as many critical hits in my first six or seven hours on the PC version as I achieved in 40-50 on the 360 because aiming is (a) achievable with pinpoint accuracy and (b) easier to do when you're trying to back away from something than on a joypad as the controls for moving and aiming feel much more independent with keyboard and mouse. It's particularly good on Borderlands because of the different builds you can do - on the 360 I took a defensive tack and created a health-regenerating character, while on the PC version I'm going for critical hit damage bonuses because I back my aim and can therefore go much more on the offensive.

I know it's not as popular an option these days, but let's not forget the poor old PC, the home of the FPS.
I think it's actually down to playing on the PC before FPS' seemed to dominate the market that makes it harder to get into games like MW2 and why I'll almost certainly not be going near Black-ops. Now console gaming is my main source I don't enjoy them as much and wonder if it's partly down to the controls. I also don't feel that they've actually gone any further since the era of Counterstrike, Medal of Honor or Battlefield 1942 so they struggle to pull me in these days.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:58 am

The controls is a good point.Never really felt like i`m holding a gun in any of the console COD games, more a gunsight on a shopping trolley.Much prefered Killzone 2`s 'feel' but folks whined it was different to COD Wahhhhh! So rather than learn and adjust, they demanded it be patched to suit.

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:04 am

thevulture wrote:Never really felt like i`m holding a gun in any of the console COD games
Well that's two of us. It always felt like I was holding a controller.

Probably because I actually was.

But hey, nothing can take away that beautiful Time Crisis experience on the Playstation with a G-Con 45. At least we had that.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:09 am

Crunchy wrote:
thevulture wrote:Never really felt like i`m holding a gun in any of the console COD games
Well that's two of us. It always felt like I was holding a controller.

Probably because I actually was.

But hey, nothing can take away that beautiful Time Crisis experience on the Playstation with a G-Con 45. At least we had that.
By not holding a gun, i mean there is no real feeling of wieght or recoil to the controls, but sure you knew that. Killzone 2 at least put some effort into giving a sense of that to both the weaponary and actions of the player.As for PC FPS, yep, precision is there, but clicking a mouse button to fire, nowhere near as good as pulling a trigger.How likes of Kinnect can hope to pull of a fps remains to be seen.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:12 pm

All the guns have huge weight and recoil differences, most of the guns handle differently and these differences can be increased with all the various attachments.

It's all about finding a gun and set-up that suits your play style, or picking the right gun for the right map.