Kinetic and Move…Fail?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

ToxieDogg

Re: Kinetic and Move…Fail?

Post by ToxieDogg » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:35 pm

snowkatt wrote:oh they wil sell but after the first big explosion the novelty wears off
and other then that dance game and kinectimals nobody wil actually buy any games for it
or it wil just spurr on more wii sales

150 for a controller or 179 for a whole console ?
Not even that, you can get a Wii in Toys R US with Wii Sports, Wii Sports Resort and Super Smash Bros Brawl for £129.99, and even the new red 'Mario Anniversary' one only costs £149.99 in Asda with New Super Mario Bros, Wii Sports, pre downloaded Donkey Kong and a Wiimote with inbuilt Motion Plus.

My biggest concerns with Kinect (as I've mentioned elsewhere) are that it can't currently detect movements in your wrist or fingers as far as I'm aware so it's not very good with games that require more precision like table tennis (there is a table tennis game on Kinect Sports, but apparently it's very basic because of these limitations)...in that sense, I can't see how it'll work properly with a FPS game either. and also, how exactly do you move your character around the game world? Sure, you can stand on the spot and move all your limbs about, but that'll only ever be good for minigames. So far, the comprimise is having your avatar standing on a moving platform and every game being 'on rails'.....urghhh. :(

Playstation Move I think is decent (better than I thought it'd be), but the cost of a complete set up is currently a real problem with it, and I still don't think it really does anything a Wiimote can't do (less, in fact as the main controllers don't have built in pointer functionality, and can't be turned on their sides and used as conentional controllers).

I don't think the Wii has anything to worry about, TBH.
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:43 pm

so microsoft and sony created the best advertisement and reasons for any casual stragglers to get a wii ?
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

Sepp Salerno

Post by Sepp Salerno » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:13 pm

I'm telling you now, most of the public will see those adverts, and think they're advertising the Wii.

It sounds stupid, because NO ONE on here would make that mistake, nor would our friends, but the public will (unless told differently by xmas lists) everyone in my office would make the mistake, most of my family would, most of the people in my karate class would, and most of the people at my local would. It's for these reasons I know that these two advertising campaigns will raise wii sales this xmas.

Microsoft and sony needed to find their own voice and style, and a sales pitch although aimed at families, and part timers, steers well clear of the usual Wii style ad-campaigns.
What are they thinking? All they're missing is Ant and Dec.

PS - I think Kinetic might fare a bit better tho.

KW

Post by KW » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:54 pm

Having played both Move and Kinect I actually like both, the technology in each is very impressive and Kinectimals is impossibly cute to hate and is a great ambassador for it. I don't think in the long term it will sway many new console owners.

mainvein

Post by mainvein » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:53 pm

i've got a move controller and i think that its really good, couple of the game demos i have a really sharp and reponsive, loke the fact that games properly map 3d objects on to the end of the controller so it actually looks like you are holding the object. That is something that cant be done on the wii and definitely not on kinect yet. I think that Kinect is sooo over priced, with no real way of creating new ways to play games other than the standard minigame stuff being done the the original eyetoy but in HD. Im absolutely positive that in a couple of months there will be some kind of remote device to use with kinect too so fps type games can be make to use it

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:00 pm

KW wrote:Having played both Move and Kinect I actually like both, the technology in each is very impressive and Kinectimals is impossibly cute to hate and is a great ambassador for it. I don't think in the long term it will sway many new console owners.
It's definitely Kinectimals that's going to sell it to the women. Kinect is coming to my house and there's nothing I can do about it. The wife pre-ordered it for her 360 about five minutes after she'd tried Kinectimals out.
She's trading the Wii in to put the money against Kinect. I wasn't even consulted.

The Wii is no loss to me tbh, but I'm a bit miffed about the main telly in the lounge being given over to Kinect. It's my footy telly.

will2097

Post by will2097 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:24 am

Crunchy wrote:
KW wrote:Having played both Move and Kinect I actually like both, the technology in each is very impressive and Kinectimals is impossibly cute to hate and is a great ambassador for it. I don't think in the long term it will sway many new console owners.
It's definitely Kinectimals that's going to sell it to the women. Kinect is coming to my house and there's nothing I can do about it. The wife pre-ordered it for her 360 about five minutes after she'd tried Kinectimals out.
She's trading the Wii in to put the money against Kinect. I wasn't even consulted.

The Wii is no loss to me tbh, but I'm a bit miffed about the main telly in the lounge being given over to Kinect. It's my footy telly.
I take it she's a gamer woman (like mine) and not an ungamer woman. Because an ungamer woman would be in trouble if that happened. "Stay away from things you don't understand dear" (Cars, computers, consoles, man things)

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:01 am

I picked up one of these yesterday with 6 games. Unfortunately got to wait until christmas to try it :-)

retrogarden

Post by retrogarden » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:16 am

Cate wrote:Well, as far as I've seen Kinect's a big fat fail. This seems to be the average review - http://www.joystiq.com/2010/11/04/kinect-review

I'll stick with my Wii fit for any wiggling around like an idiot in front of the telly malarkey. :lol:
As a spectacle wearer, it seems that the reflection from lights etc gets picked up by the camera, screwing up the game.

I'll stick with Wii Fit.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:23 pm

:? Woah, Hold on.Kinnect gets 'spun out' if user is wearing glasses? :lol: That`s just an Epic case of technology just not being do-able at an affordable price.Is MS making people aware of this in any shape or form?.

joefish

Post by joefish » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:45 pm

The biggest problem reviewers seem to be having with Kinect is if their lounge isn't a huge open-plan 8m square with a perfectly clear laminated wood floor like the one in the adverts. It seems that if you only have a few metres between the telly and the sofa it can't get you completely in the field of view all at once, and you haven't a hope of ever getting multi-player working. And since you have to watch the screen all the time, and the game can tell you to move in directions even where the camera should be able to tell there's a big obstacle in your room, you can't tell what of all the crap on your floor you're about to tread on or trip over. It all looks far more risky than just waving a remote around.

As for the PS3 mapping objects onto the end of the wand, it's only doing that because they're still stuck in the Eye-Toy mini-game design mentality where you're presented with a mirror-image of yourself in an 'augmented reality' environment. And that just (a) limits you to silly mini-games and (b) really exposes the lag in the system. If the movements are mapped onto a gun or a sword or a wand in a first-person viewpoint in a completely virtual environment, at least there's scope for more to happen in the game.

Dizrythmia

Post by Dizrythmia » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:55 pm

One of the biggest problems, in Australia at least, is that the games are a good $20-$30 more than normal. I was speaking to a store owner who has no desire to stock them but has to as it's what customers expect.

StealthAssassin

Post by StealthAssassin » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:12 am

Just caught the ad for Kinect on TV. Funny stuff really - casual hipsters and kids jumping around like idiots. Attempting to drive a car with thin air has got to be one of the stupidest things ever. I have never been a fan of this casual gamer, alternate controller nonsense therefore I hope this thing flops hard. If you want to play videogames, learn the buttons on a gamepad, it ain't that hard.

Sir Hilary Bray

Post by Sir Hilary Bray » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:46 am

I'd love to get Kinect, purely because it's the sort of game I can play with my son.

Might try and pick it up cheap after Christmas.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:03 pm

Hearing the cost of materials used in each Kinnect unit is....£35!.It sells for £130.Ok, yep, has to make a profit, got the R+D cost`s to get back, but bloody hell, can see why MS are putting so much into promoting it. :wink: