Kinetic and Move…Fail?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Sepp Salerno

Kinetic and Move…Fail?

Post by Sepp Salerno » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:46 pm

Both of these things seem to be aimed at casual gamers, and also both want to capitalize on xmas. The thing is though, for me anyway, the advertising is so off the mark it’s going to backfire spectacularly.

Firstly there’s kinetic, which is being advertised on every ad break for every prime time family show going. Now we all know what it’s selling, because we’ve all read about it, had it hyped at us here and there, we’ve all been part of the build-up and most gamers don’t seem all that fussed - but as for the masses that they’re aiming for with their marketing, I just don’t think they’ll get it (not the product itself, but the advertising).

Firstly the majority of the advert looks like it’s selling mobile phones or something, or exercise videos. You only get to see the product for about 3 seconds at the tail end of the advert, and then there’s the slogan ‘You are the controller’

We get what they’re saying. My mum won’t. My mum, and most people will see that advert and think either ‘They look so much fun those Nintendo wiis do, we should buy one this christmas’ or ‘We should get our Wii out this Christmas’

Then the Sony one. It just looks like a Wii advert. Nothing else. People will think it is a Wii advert. Most people wont notice any difference.

Don't get me wrong, they'll sell, and by the bucket load......they just wont sell as much as they're supposed to.
Am I alone in this thought?

killbot

Re: Kinetic and Move…Fail?

Post by killbot » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:45 pm

I had a go on Move last night. My first thought was about how well it tracks your movement. My second thought was about how laggy the cursor is on Start The Party - way worse than even a stock Wii controller without MotionPlus. My third thought was about how the controller simply refused to calibrate properly when we tried to play Sports Champions, despite us following all the instructions.

All in all? I was impressed, but only in the rare moments when the system wasn't cocking up. It's laggy as hell though - what it makes up for in terms of motion-tracking over MotionPlus it loses by responding to your movements so slowly.

Kinect? Haven't played it, don't want to. Wii and Move have genuine potential to change the way games are played, but Kinect is simply a gimmick - and even the biggest Xbox fanboy I know agrees with me on that one.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Cate

Post by Cate » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:49 pm

Well, as far as I've seen Kinect's a big fat fail. This seems to be the average review - http://www.joystiq.com/2010/11/04/kinect-review

I'll stick with my Wii fit for any wiggling around like an idiot in front of the telly malarkey. :lol:

DCharlie

Post by DCharlie » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:59 am

both are off to relatively poor starts interms of gaming content so far, but that's fine.

it will only take one or two good ideas - most likely Child of Eden on -both- platforms. :lol:

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:47 am

oh they wil sell but after the first big explosion the novelty wears off
and other then that dance game and kinectimals nobody wil actually buy any games for it
or it wil just spurr on more wii sales

150 for a controller or 179 for a whole console ?
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:09 am

Seeing as both really intended to capture the casual market and sales on both so far are good they have`nt 'failed' but in terms of bringing anything new to the gaming table or convincing someone like myself to buy 1 or other or both, then so far EPIC fail`s the pair of them.Niether has anything like a true Killer-App.

bsg

Post by bsg » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:07 am

What worries me is if they DO become really popular, will game manufacturers start releasing titles that purely depend on motion control? I am in quite poor health and in no way could I use ANY motion control system, which could end with me missing some titles... ( I know there isn't much chance, but you never know...)
http://www.youtube.com/user/bsg7 < my Youtube games review / collection channel

will2097

Post by will2097 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:53 am

thevulture wrote:Seeing as both really intended to capture the casual market and sales on both so far are good they have`nt 'failed' but in terms of bringing anything new to the gaming table or convincing someone like myself to buy 1 or other or both, then so far EPIC fail`s the pair of them.Niether has anything like a true Killer-App.
Indeed there is no compelling reason to buy one. I just hope they don't figure this out and then ruin Killzone 3/Uncharted 3 or, and-oh-please-god-no, GT5.

batman877

Post by batman877 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:53 pm

Sepp Salerno wrote:Both of these things seem to be aimed at casual gamers, and also both want to capitalize on xmas. The thing is though, for me anyway, the advertising is so off the mark it’s going to backfire spectacularly.

Am I alone in this thought?
You're spot on mate. I feel embarrassed for Sony and Microsoft when I see these adverts.

The only game I been tempted by so far is the new 'Time Crisis'... but I'm not forking out on all the equipment just to play that. There are plenty of arcade shooters on the Wii anyway... Ghost Squad is excellent.

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:01 pm

The similarity in adverts is exactly what they want. Move and kinnect are intended to generate their own sales and to damage nintendo's. I doubt if people will buy a wii by mistake. I'm not interested in either, but I'm sure they will succeed in killing of the wii and instigating a new round of consoles.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:05 pm

I had a quick go at the Move table tennis game at R3PLAY, apart from having to configure it before starting, which I can see why that has to be done, it seemed alright to me, I was doing power shots and putting spin on the ball, it's not made me want to rush out and buy one but it seemed alright.
Splink!

killbot

Post by killbot » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:10 pm

Fightersmegamix wrote:The similarity in adverts is exactly what they want. Move and kinnect are intended to generate their own sales and to damage nintendo's. I doubt if people will buy a wii by mistake. I'm not interested in either, but I'm sure they will succeed in killing of the wii and instigating a new round of consoles.
The key issue both systems have is cost. £150 for a Kinect plus £200 for an Xbox to play it on is going to be a bit much for casual gamers and families who can buy a Wii for half the cost. Then there's the issue of software - however accurate Move and Kinect are, if they don't have games of the calibre of Mario Galaxy 2 or with the wide-ranging appeal of Just Dance then they aren't going to outsell the Wii.

I think you're a bit hasty in ringing the Wii's death knell anyway - let's be honest here, with a user base of 76 million machines already in homes, the Wii could stop selling tomorrow and it would still be around for a while.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

thesubcon3

Post by thesubcon3 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:12 pm

No "true" gamer who already has a Wii is going to get either one, unless they are a Time Crisis fanatic. For me, it will take either contraption having a must have. If one doesn't come out, then I'll hold onto my cashish and get the $280 Strat for Rock Band 3.

Nautical Rudie

Post by Nautical Rudie » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:22 pm

For my money the biggest problem, espcally for the Move, is that the Wii was so evolutionary for a lot of non or casual gamers that they look like they are just ripping it off to make a quick buck. Obviously that is what they are doing and people ive talked to dont like that cos it makes them feel like cash cows. I bought a Wii because, ok I love Nintendo, but it was trying to do something different. Ive been disappointed by the Wii overall but I think that a lot of people like it for the intuitive idea and will gravitate towards it rather than its imitators. Long story short I agree with the OP, the Move and Kinect won't sell what Sony and Microsoft are hoping they will.
3DS Friend Code: 0130-1873-6926. Give me a shout if you add me!

Scapegoat

Post by Scapegoat » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:00 pm

killbot wrote:
Fightersmegamix wrote: The key issue both systems have is cost. £150 for a Kinect plus £200 for an Xbox to play it on is going to be a bit much for casual gamers and families who can buy a Wii for half the cost. Then there's the issue of software - however accurate Move and Kinect are, if they don't have games of the calibre of Mario Galaxy 2 or with the wide-ranging appeal of Just Dance then they aren't going to outsell the Wii.
At least with the Kinect the total cost is up front, to get the full controller setup for the Move like they show in the adverts is approx an attentional £200, so someone going in to Game expecting to spend less than £300 for a PS3 + Move ends up with a bill for £450 before you even start on the software...

both are expensive, but of the two I'd expect the only the Kinect to generate the extra console sales, if only for the straight forward pricing.
HADDOCKEN!