Net Yaroze

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Utini

Net Yaroze

Post by Utini » Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:18 pm

I'd quite like to get into a bit of old PS programming, and Net Yaroze looks like an ideal candidate. Any idea how much these dev kits go for nowadays?
Hey, Sweden!
They're not Swedish Mac, they're Norwegian!

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:25 pm

Thankfully PAL Yaroze is probably the most common of the three regions. Having said that, a fully complete kit (unit, cables, memory card, controller, software, manuals etc) will probably still set you back £150-200.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

sandinista

Post by sandinista » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:28 pm

Around the 200 pound mark on Ebay . Sometimes more , sometimes less . Like with all retro stuff , depends on condition , boxed or otherwise , and whether it`s complete .

sandinista

Utini

Post by Utini » Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:23 pm

It's (semi) surprising that Sony don't still sell them - afterall, although the PS is old, it's still current...
Hey, Sweden!

Antiriad2097

Re:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:45 am

Utini wrote:It's (semi) surprising that Sony don't still sell them - afterall, although the PS is old, it's still current...
No its not. They stopped making them a couple of months ago.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Dudley

Re:

Post by Dudley » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:43 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Utini wrote:It's (semi) surprising that Sony don't still sell them - afterall, although the PS is old, it's still current...
And stopped making the old shaped one, which the yaroze is, about 4 years ago.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:17 am

The Net Yaroze system was a pretty good low level developement tool for the PSX but there are a lot of alternatives which cost next to nothing.

(Here comes the plug!!)

On my website (on the PSX Games page) theres a PSX CD full of Net Yaroze made games to give you an idea of what the machine was capable of. Theres also numerous other PSX homebrew games that were developed without using the net yaroze system (I recommend PSX Manic Miner!). They're all in CD image format so if you have a chipped PSX or PS2 use CDRWin to burn them off and take a look.

Theres also some links on the LINKS page to some sites that have homebrew developement tools for the PSX but if you type in psx homebrew into google theres lots of sites for help as well as a few decent forums with experienced people to help out.

An alternative developement platform for sony machines is the Linux platform for the PS2 which has an excellent web support community.

EDIT: Scratch that, My website appears to have vanished from the face of the earth (well the face of NTLWorld actually). Need to upload it to new webspace.
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

Utini

Re:

Post by Utini » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:36 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
They may have ceased manufacture, but I'm willing to bet that there're warehouses full of them back east.
Hey, Sweden!