Your top 5 Rare games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Darran@Retro Gamer

Your top 5 Rare games

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:50 am

Seeing it's Rare's 25th anniversary we were wondering what everyone's top 5 Rare games are. Please note, this doesn't include the Ultimate games (even though they are obviously amazing.

My personal top 5 are

1 Viva Pinata
Amazingly inventive and proof to me that the Rare of old was still alive and well.

2 GoldenEye 007
Quite simply one of the finest first-person shooters I've ever played.

3 Donkey Kong Country 2
Builds beautifully on the already great original

4 Snake Rattle N Roll
Really clever platform puzzle game that's still great fun to play

5 Blast Corps
Ridiculously inventive and in dire need of a sequel.

theantmeister

Re: Your top 5 Rare games

Post by theantmeister » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:16 am

I might be in the minority here, but I really don't rate Rare games that highly. I've never played a Rare game till the end, in fact, I've only really spent a few minutes or so playing them in shops or on friends' consoles.

So here's a list of Rare games I've played, in order of play length:

1. Perfect Dark - 3 hours - I sat down to try this on my friends N64 and ended up playing it for a good few hours. Very very good. And I don't generally like Rare games. The (artificial) sense of space on the office level is an incredibly trick.

2. Banjo-Kazooie: Grunty's Revenge - 2 hours - Tried this on the GBA, it was ok, but a fairly typical Rare collect-em-up. The writing is very funny, which is a good thing, because there is a lot of text to wade through.

3. Donkey Kong Country - 1 hour - I've never got past the minecart stage. Looks great, but isn't a patch on Super Mario World. I like the remixed Donkey Kong music on the title screen though.

4. Battletoads - 30 minutes - I just don't get what people see in this game (and the SNES sequel). The controls are too "floaty", the combat doesn't have any impact, jumping is just horrible and the game is completely ruined by an insane difficulty level. Not to mention naming characters after skin conditions is childish and gross!

Erm....

5. Timesplitters 2 - Oh wait...that doesn't count does it :wink:

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:16 am

Can I vote for Blast Corps 5 times? Out of all the games Rare released this is the one that keeps me coming back again and again. I'm a huge fan of the different vehicles you get to use (especially the awesome J Bomb), the difficulty level is just right with it being challenging without being outright impossible and there is enough extra's and excellent secret levels to keep me playing.

My other favourite Rare games:

Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts. Out of all of the Banjo games I'd probably pick this one as my favourite. While I was initially gutted at the fact the focus was toward vehicle gameplay and not huge expansive levels that attitude all changed once I put some serious time into the game. Some of the challenges on the game are simply amazing leaving it entirely up to you how you wish to tackle them and there in is what makes the game so fun.

Goldeneye. Not so much now but I loved playing the game back in the day. The 2 things that kept me hooked for so long was the fantastic multiplayer (proximity mines :mrgreen: ) and the objective based single player missions (made even better thanks to higher difficulties introducing different objectives)

Donkey Kong Country. Always preferred the first game over the 2nd one for some reason. Fun levels, nice visuals and an excellent soundtrack.

Diddy Kong Racing. I loved the sheer number of objectives in the single player game. Normal races, Silver coin races, Boss matches (and rematches) and a funky soudtrack. Bloody hard though, can't work out how I managed to beat Wizpig all those years ago!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:22 am

Too much to choose sort out so you have a look the list they did:
Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Rare_games

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:25 am

1. Banjo-Kazooie.
The sequel has more in it but the original has much tighter level design and plays better for it.

2. Viva Pinata.
Criminally overlooked by many because of the cutie-poo styling and yet the game is surprisingly hardcore if you don't use a guide. If this had been done with anything except fluffy animals (say, attracting mercenary mechs into a base instead of fluffy critters into a garden) it would have sold a lot more. A new sub-genre could have been born: the attract-em-up.

3. Jet Force Gemini.
I was always impressed by its hidden "bigness". Played it recently and it' has aged better than Goldeneye. A modern update with improved framerate wouldn't go amiss.

4. Conker: Live & Reloaded.
Excellent Live multiplayer bolted on to an already great game. Win win.

5. Kameo.
You know what? It's not crap. Everybody says it's crap. It isn't crap. It's actually very good. Especially the Score Attack mode.

So, no Goldeneye then. :wink:
Played it a couiple of weeks ago and it's poor by today's standards. The N64 controller makes it uber poor. Once it was a fave, now I just wonder why. The games I listed above still stand up for me in today's market. Goldeneye doesn't. Suck it up fanboys.

stvd

Post by stvd » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:35 am

If they're having a 25th anniversary then it must include "Ultimate" releases, no?

Without Ultimate's ZX Spectrum releases I couldn't pick a top 5.
As polished and well made as they are, none of their games have really 'clicked' with me.

I did like Conker on the Xbox though. :)

QuantumCrayons

Post by QuantumCrayons » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:38 am

Crunchy wrote:The games I listed above still stand up for me in today's market. Goldeneye doesn't. Suck it up fanboys.
In all fairness, you did list a remake of a great original N64 game, so it's not surprising that it'd stand up better ;)

For me... Hm.

1. Banjo Kazooie: A fantastic game. I first played this near launch at a friends, and I was blown away by the sheer scale of the levels; in 2010, when I finally sat down, got my own copy and played it, it still amazes me. 10+ hours is a spectacular time for any platformer to take from me, so the longevity shows. Also, the controller sits well with the game, unlike some titles I played.
2. GoldenEye 007: Again, same as before. When I first played it, it just seemed amazing. Now, enjoying it today may be a case of rose tinted glasses, but hey! The one thing I really like about it is that the levels aren't overly long. A modern FPS can take 30 minutes to an hour to beat a stage; now, sure, that's good for most people, but I prefer to be able to play games (that aren't RPGs) in smaller sittings and GoldenEye allows that to me.

Now, because I can't choose, I'm going to say that Perfect Dark, Donkey Kong Country and Battletoads would be 3, 4 and 5. I haven't played enough of any of them to make a balanced judgement and none seem to really stand out to me. But there you go, anyways.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:44 am

Have to agree with stvd on this one, I'd have filled it with 5 early speccy games (and I wouldn't even have included the isometric games, I never liked them! :shock: )

EDIT: Ooops, just realised the Ultimate changed to Rare in '85, so it'd be 28 years if it included Ultimate, gawd I feel old!

Anyway within the context of the rules of the poll...
1. Jetpac Refuelled (XBox Live)
Pure timeless Classic

2. Sabre Wulf (GBA)
Yet another Classic

3. Killer Instinct (SNES)
One of the very few 1 on 1 fighting games I enjoy.

4. Viva Piñata - (DS)
What games should be all about. Unashamed fun!

5. Grabbed by the Ghoulies (XBox)
OK I'll admit it I just love the name.
Last edited by the_hawk on Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:50 am

1. Goldeneye (N64)
2. Perfect Dark (N64)
3. Starfox Adventures (GC)
4. WWF Superstars (GB)
5. Killer Instinct (Arcade)

Goldeneye and Perfect Dark were great shooters, had loads of fun with them in both single and multiplayer. Starfox Adventures was disappointing but still very enjoyable, one of the best looking Gamecube games too. WWF Superstars wasn't great but as young wrestling fan it didn't have to be. I was pants at Killer Instinct but I was blown away just watching other people play it and do all thoses combos and stuff.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:58 am

QuantumCrayons wrote:
Crunchy wrote:The games I listed above still stand up for me in today's market. Goldeneye doesn't. Suck it up fanboys.
In all fairness, you did list a remake of a great original N64 game, so it's not surprising that it'd stand up better ;)
You talking about Conker? If there was no Comker: Live & Reloaded available then it would be Conker's Bad Fur Day in the same position. Goldeneye was good back in the day but it's poor now. Stuff like Banjo and Conker were good back in the day and I can still play them now on the N64 without wincing. Remakes don't even come into it, though a Goldeneye remake would still hold no interest for me tbh. Like I said, good back then ... awful now. Nothing ages like an FPS (Except maybe the original Tomb Raider. I played it the other day and was appalled at it's pixellated, cumbersome, ten-frames-a-second badness).

necronom

Post by necronom » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:02 am

I think Ultimate started in 1982, so 25 years would be 2007. Rare started in 1987? So 25 years would be 2012. I'm obviously wrong somewhere. Where does 25 years come into it?

I've only played 1 Rare game (though then name didn't mean anything to me, and I probably didn't notice who made it), and that was about 5 years ago - Goldeneye. It was okay, but I wasn't very impressed. I can see that in the day it was very good, but now (without nostalgia for it) it was just an old basic 3D shooter with difficult controls (but that might be because I was using a PlayStation controller and not the one it was made for).

I think I've played at least 11 Ultimate games.

To me Ultimate is a massive name in gaming, and Rare means very little.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:10 am

The only ones I've really played properly are all on the N64. My favourites are:

1. Goldeneye (I've never been a big FPS player but this is definitely the best I've played)
2. Blast Corps (fantastic, original, great fun, awesome soundtrack and atmosphere)
3. Banjo Kazooie (my favourite 3D platformer)
4. Diddy Kong Racing (a lot of variety and very inventive courses)
5. Jet Force Gemini (another genre I've not really played a lot, but this is a damn fine game)

What a run they had on the N64 :shock: Do they still make such great games? I haven't really been keeping up to date...

harlequ1n

Post by harlequ1n » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:16 am

1. Killer Instinct (Arcade)
I still rember the million coins I spent on Killer Instinct, my teenager hands shaking due to the adrenaline of finally reaching Eyedol and promptly diying to his amazingly precise Combo breakers. No other game has ever given me the chills this game did.

2. Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
The only game that wowed me again after the over-saturation of platformers during the 90s. Brilliant level design, gameplay and music.

3. Diddy Kong Racing (N64)
Hands down my favourite multiplayer racing game of all time. Driving not only cars but aeroplanes and hovercrafts, as wells a fun featuring a fun adventure mode, made it imho way better than the overhyped Mario Kart 64.

4. Banjo-Kazooie (N64)
I never thought Mario 64 could be bested on the very same system until I played this game.

5. Battletoads in Battlemaniacs (SNES)
I played this game with my brother so many times that I completely memorised the first few levels as we never made it past level 3.

stvd

Post by stvd » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:57 am

necronom wrote:I think Ultimate started in 1982, so 25 years would be 2007. Rare started in 1987? So 25 years would be 2012. I'm obviously wrong somewhere. Where does 25 years come into it?
:? :? :? :? :?
In 1988 the company became Rare Ltd,
Admittedly, this was from Wikipedia but that would make it only 22 years old. That's why I was questioning the exclusion of the Ultimate titles.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:11 am

1. Goldeneye - This was my first N64 game that I bought along with my N64 & I've got great memories of setting it all up & getting sucked into the game for hours & hours.

2. Banjo Kazooie - I believe I actually might've played this before Super Mario & it remains one of my favourite platformers.

3. Diddy Kong Racing - I never did play Mario Kart on my N64, so to me, this was the definitive kart racer, with the snow levels being a firm favourite of mine.

4. Banjo Kazooie 2 - A second installment of platforming? Well, don't mind if I do.

5. Starfox Adventures - I really, really loved this on the Gamecube. I seem to be in the minority though.