Most Exciting Retro Find?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

gmintyfresh

Re: Most Exciting Retro Find?

Post by gmintyfresh » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:28 am

Some nice DC shmup related purchases:

Radirgy and Karous Sega Direct Edtions - £35 and £30 respectively, both were listed as standard editions.

Border Down £50

Picked up Baten Kaitos on the GC recently for around £8

bsg

Post by bsg » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:34 pm

Got a few that tickled me...

MB Vectrex with 2 games (and built in Minestorm of course) for £20
Cambridge Z88 for £2
Phillips Videopac G7000 (Oddysey2) for £1
Metal Gear Solid PS1 Black Label edition (no manual though) for £1
Mario Kart N64 Japanese CiB for £1.50
Atomic Robokid Japanese CiB for £1.50
Unboxed Sega Saturn Model 1 (no leads or pads but I had spares) for £1

Sometimes i'm lucky, sometimes not - for instance... one guy on Hartlepool 'Tatty Market' had an unboxed Amiga 600 that looked like it had been submerged in water for 10 years (SERIOUSLY, it was covered in moss and the power supply looked like it had blown at least once!) with a few games and he wanted £25 for it... :evil:
http://www.youtube.com/user/bsg7 < my Youtube games review / collection channel

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:42 pm

Had loads over the years to many to think of.The one that sticks in my mind and got me most exited at the time though was a boxed PAL copy of Final Fight 2 on the Snes in Gamestation for £7.99.Was a few years back when the basement of the shop downstairs on New St in Birmingham was all retro gear they had a glass cabinet and spotted Final fight 2.At first i thought it said £79.99 then looked again and it was £7.99 :shock: :shock: Quickly shouted a member of staff over to get it out of the cabinet for me before anyone else spotted it. :D
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

mainvein

Post by mainvein » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:59 pm

i got space channel 5 pt 2 on the ps2 Pal version for £4 in oxfam, couldnt believe it when i saw it as it was never released over here.

got donkey kong jr game and watch, fully boxed and mint for £1

cdi with a stack of games and films for £2 (still undecided if thats too much yet :lol: )

kula world for £1

boxed game gear for a fiver from amibay too

also got a bbc computer yesterday for free from freecycle too, came with floppy disk drive and stacks of floppies, and it all works, was ace playing repton again, especially as i no longer need to wait for 10 mins for it to load

managed to find plenty over the years, love looking for retro gear as it always turns up in random places

Neilos626

Post by Neilos626 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:30 pm

my ultimate carboot finds have been

complete blood omen legacy of kain and twisted tales of spike mcfang cart on the same stall. kid wanted £3 for both, i haggled him down to £2!

also on booty original mario game and watch 50p.

walked into gamestation one day to find member of staff reducing steel battalion from £200 to £30, needless to say I snapped it up.

Also when game first opened in my town they were selling off ps1 games at £1 each, in amongst them I found the discworld trilogy. Thank you very much!!
Flux Capacitors wanted email MartyMcFly1985@greatscott.net

thl

Post by thl » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:51 pm

Stacks of Mega Drive and Master System games at one of the charity shops that included Japanese imports such as New Zealand Story and Elemental Master. Plus it doesn't get any better as it was 50p each.

Lord Huggington

Post by Lord Huggington » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:14 am

Snagged a copy of Zone of the Enders 2 at EB for $20 a few years back. I was extremely pleased about that. Even the clerk said, "Where the hell did you find that?!? =O " when I went to ring it up. It was a red letter day.

To a lesser extent, I was quite happy to find a copy of Silent Bomber last year in Akihabara. I'd been trying for years to find it with no luck, so settling for a Japanese version was going to have to do. Awesome game regardless, though. :)

killbot

Post by killbot » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:39 am

A mint condition, boxed NES with two controllers, the Zapper, Super Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt for the princely sum of £8 from Cash Converters in Cambridge. Stupidly I gave it to my brother, and when I eventually bought another for myself it cost me £20 for a scabby looking unboxed one with no games and a single controller. Doh!

At another second hand shop in Cambridge (can't remember the name but it used to be near Gametron) I picked up boxed copies of Zelda and Tetris for the NES for £3 each and a boxed Illusion Of Time for the SNES for the same price.

When Gamestation were trying to clear out all their Gamecube stuff I managed to get a second-hand copy of Twilight Princess for only £15. I could probably make a tidy profit by selling it and buying the much cheaper Wii version instead, but I actually prefer the GC version. I'll be hanging on to that one.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

James A

Post by James A » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:01 am

Had many fine finds at Carboots over the years

Steel Batallion - £10
Mint Boxed Master System - £2
Mint Boxed NES - £2
Vandal Hearts - 50p

Pippy

Post by Pippy » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:19 am

Probably getting close-to-pristine copies of Suikoden II and Vandal Hearts II for £3 apiece from Cash Converters. No manual with the former though, damn!

My future exciting finds would involve stumbling across complete collections of classic computer magazines in charity shops, if my dreams are anything to go by :)

famicom69

Post by famicom69 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:22 am

I have the worst luck when it comes to discovering desirable or interesting retro finds. I was talking to a bloke the other day who's friend found a Snatcher CD going cheap with no case or inlay in smack converters. It had a huge crack down it but still worked in his console.

killbot

Post by killbot » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:47 am

famicom69 wrote:I have the worst luck when it comes to discovering desirable or interesting retro finds. I was talking to a bloke the other day who's friend found a Snatcher CD going cheap with no case or inlay in smack converters. It had a huge crack down it but still worked in his console.
No case or inlay and a cracked disc? No wonder it was going cheap - he's incredibly lucky that it even works.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

dste

Post by dste » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:42 pm

Stumbling across Baton Kaitos complete for £2.50 in a charity shop.

Overhearing a conversation in a charity shop about a Saturn that had been donated and getting everything boxed which included the console, Nights pad, Backup Memory and fourteen games, one being Guardian Heroes

Finding P.N.0.3 for £2 at the car boot sale.

Buying twelve complete Megadrive games for 99p each, walked into the shop just as the guy was putting them on the shelf.

There will be more but cannot remember off the top of my head.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

thesubcon3

Post by thesubcon3 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:11 am

Look what I came across yesterday!

Really good condition and it's all MIIINE

QuantumCrayons

Post by QuantumCrayons » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:16 pm

The best thing I've ever found retro was my copy of FFVIII for 50p, complete. Brilliant day that was.
Finding ICO for £1.99 is a close second, though. Also, maybe finding Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles, boxed w/ manuals for 50p each.