Most Exciting Retro Find?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Roo

Most Exciting Retro Find?

Post by Roo » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:34 am

This is a topic that's perhaps been discussed before on these forums, but hopefully not from this angle.

I'm wanting to know your most exciting retro find, be it in a charity shop, second-hand store, ebay - whatever. It doesn't have to be that sealed copy of Stadium Events, or any of that jazz - just the games/console that nearly made you censored yourself when you saw it for sale.

~

Mine would probably be the afternoon I found Cash Convertors to be selling Mega Drive games for 25p/50p. Rock And Roll Racing, Road Rash 1-3, Gynoug, Speedball 2, Ghouls N' Ghosts, Castlevania New Generation...that was a good day!

ShadowMan

Re: Most Exciting Retro Find?

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:40 am

A couple spring to mind

- Finding a complete copy of the Playstation version of Klonoa at a carboot sale a few years back for 50p
- Finding Saturn Bomberman, Burning Rangers and Die Hard Arcade in Gamestation last year
- Getting a mint in box copy of Megaman from Gamestation years ago for £10 (couldn't believe my luck!)
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:45 am

Found a copy of Shadow of the Collossus for PS2 for £2 in mint condition with all the art cards. Played it, hated it and resold it for £20 on ebay :shock:
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:46 am

-Shenmue 2 for 99p from cash converters
-Turbo turning dashboard for a few quid.
-New inde stores are always nice
-A barcode battler as new with everything for 50p

Ok can that last one be exciting?
ShadowMan wrote: - Finding Saturn Bomberman, Burning Rangers and Die Hard Arcade in Gamestation last year
Where they £30 each?

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:34 am

DPrinny wrote:Where they £30 each?
Nope. Die Hard Arcade and Saturn Bomberman were dead cheap (I think it was around £15 each for them). Burning Rangers was £30-£35 though but I'd been after it for a while...
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:45 am

-Phantasy Star on Master system for a fiver. Ok I was after it for years (this was before ebay ruined retro finds)
Come to think of it the others cost me a fiver each as well
ShadowMan wrote:
Nope. Die Hard Arcade and Saturn Bomberman were dead cheap (I think it was around £15 each for them). Burning Rangers was £30-£35 though but I'd been after it for a while...
Not exactly cheap then

merman

Post by merman » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:02 am

Buying Great Giana Sisters for the C64 in an independent software shop nearly two years after it was banned...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:04 am

DPrinny wrote:-Phantasy Star on Master system for a fiver. Ok I was after it for years (this was before ebay ruined retro finds)
Come to think of it the others cost me a fiver each as well
ShadowMan wrote:
Not exactly cheap then
doesn't mean its not exciting.

My favoutite retro find would be one of the following...

Steel Battalion, boxed £10 on a carboot. Boom. (i have a few now lol)
Suikoden on a carboot, for £1, gave her £30 though as it was a kid selling the games and wanted a wii if i remember rightly.
My favourite find was a boxed Namco arcade stick this summer for £2 nearly cried.

Tepid Snake

Post by Tepid Snake » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:14 am

Not exactly a charity shop or car boot, but one of my brother's friends was having a clear-out and found a box of Genesis games he wanted to sell. He'd bought them while his band was on tour in America during the 90s and hadn't touched them since- they were immaculate. Among them were Gaiares and the Japanese version of Alien Storm!

Also, I once found excellent condition copies of Castlevania: The New Generation and Super Fantasy Zone in the toilet of an electronics shop*. They were a tenner each but looked like they hadn't been touched for a decade. SFZ even had a poster I'd been trying to find for years tucked inside.

* Don't worry, the toilet wasn't actually working. The man running the shop was using the room as a storage room for Mega Drive games for some reason. They nearly reached the roof, I tell you!
Updated 11/05/11 - P.O.W. - Prisoners of War
Image RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews & Community

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:28 am

retrojc wrote: doesn't mean its not exciting.
Yep :D . Since I don't see very many retro games in my Gamestation I jumpted at the chance to get them so it was pretty exciting at the time! Nice one on getting Steel Battalion that cheap :mrgreen:

Roo

Post by Roo » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:07 am

Actually, scrap my Mega Drive post at the top of the page! I'd forgotten about Conker's Bad Fur Day, which I found on Hogmanay 2004 in a second-hand video/DVD shop for the princely sum of £15. The box and everything inside was in perfect condition, and there was no saved data on the cart - I think it's possible that it hadn't been played before I bought it. When I bought it, the guy at the till said "*sigh*, I really should have sold you that for more" :lol:

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:14 am

retrojc wrote: doesn't mean its not exciting.

My favoutite retro find would be one of the following...

Steel Battalion, boxed £10 on a carboot. Boom. (i have a few now lol)
Suikoden on a carboot, for £1, gave her £30 though as it was a kid selling the games and wanted a wii if i remember rightly.
My favourite find was a boxed Namco arcade stick this summer for £2 nearly cried.
With me its the cheapness of the thinig I find.
Seeing a something like Panzer Dragoon saga for £40 will never be exitcing

Is that with the sticks?
(After one)

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:51 am

Streets of Rage 3 boxed and manual for a fiver knowing it could for at least ten times that...
Game Gear with six games for a tenner - maybe not the cheapest, but I'd always wanted one.

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:02 am

My only one really is when I found a Skeleton Saturn for sale but it wasn't very cheap :|

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:23 am

I've been pretty lucky with my hunting..although i do put in a fair amount of legwork.... :wink:

lets see, recently i picked up at either charity shops or carboots:

21 SNES carts in a charity shop which included Yoshi's Island, Mario world, Mariokart x2....etc etc.
complete mint ZX Spectrum+2
a couple of Zelda collectors Edition's 'cube
Zelda 4 sword bigbox (mint) 'cube
Resident Evil 2 'cube

there's probably more i've forgotten...but my best ever finds were at the same carboot last year, where i picked up

Castlevania SOTN
Suikoden 2
Final Fantasy Origins
Evil Zone

all in the space of 10mins or so.

That was a great day :D 8)
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)