Amstrad CPC arcade joystick

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

retromax

Amstrad CPC arcade joystick

Post by retromax » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:17 pm

I've been playing around with my 6128 recentley, i've built a 3.5" drive caddy and made an external floppy drive that I can read discs with that i've done on my PC (converting .DSK images to 3.5" floppies :D ) and I was thinking about building an Arcade joystick just for the hell of it as this is something i'd have loved to have as a kid. Digital joysticks are obviousley very easy to make as there is no circuitry involved just switches and wires... oh and a 9 pin plug! and seeing as i've got spare arcade bits lying around from my machines it wasn't gonna cost me anything :) .
So here it is total cost 50p (for the piece of black laminated MDF off-cut I got from the woodyard)

Oh and that's my 3.5" external floppy drive too!!
Hi I'm Retromax you may remember me from such songs as "Hantarex Two Five Zero" and "Hantarex Two Five Zero" the remix:)

Lorfarius

Re: Amstrad CPC arcade joystick

Post by Lorfarius » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:50 pm

I bet there'd be a few people interested in getting their hands on a dloppy drive like that to use with the system. Have you considered taking a few orders? :D
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

retromax

Re: Amstrad CPC arcade joystick

Post by retromax » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:06 pm

Lorfarius wrote:I bet there'd be a few people interested in getting their hands on a dloppy drive like that to use with the system. Have you considered taking a few orders? :D
Nah just a one off for me sorry :( but they are really easy to do, the hardest bit was making the box that houses it!!, basically you just need an old floppy disc drive (mine's a teac out of some old dell PC), an old floppy cable (the really old type with the edge connector for a 5 and half inch floppy drive). I powered the floppy by using the power supply from an old external HDD caddy and just wired the floppy power connector to it from an old pc power supply, there are two switches on the back of the drive... one turns the head to head 2 (side B) and the other switch is to select the external drive as either A drive or B drive (as apparently some games don't like being loaded from drive B)
Really easy to do though.... and having this just increased my games collection by a few thousand!! :wink:
Hi I'm Retromax you may remember me from such songs as "Hantarex Two Five Zero" and "Hantarex Two Five Zero" the remix:)