PSP2 thoughts?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Nemesis

PSP2 thoughts?

Post by Nemesis » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:22 pm

You may have noticed supposed leak shots of Sony's new PSP phone. So what do you think, is it the new PSPgo (assuming it's genuine of course!)?
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

snowkatt

Re: PSP2 thoughts?

Post by snowkatt » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:23 pm

new psp go ?
i had hoped sony would have buried that idiotic scheme
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

Joey

Post by Joey » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:27 pm

If they stuck with physical media for the next psp, what would it be?

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:29 pm

sd cards ?
micro sd cards ?
a sd card is 2 to 4 gig that should be enough for most games

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:35 pm

As a current PSP owner: (Assuming this is to be launched along side PSP2) Several feelings, least of all concept been tried and has failed before, Ex-N-gage owner myself.Tech in that was pretty smart for the time.Also Sony`s track record in field of pricing, Support etc on anything after PS2 has bewildered me at times.Lastly, after failure of PSP Go and fact iphone pretty much got this area sown up, really cannot see just how Sony think this will be a winner. Said it before, i`ll say it again.Current gen.Sony seem to be hell bent on playing catch up with other peoples ideas/Hardware, rather than offering anything truely ground breaking of thier own. Am i right in thinking auctual PSP 2 is something else again?. :?

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:40 pm

thevulture wrote:As a current PSP owner: (Assuming this is to be launched along side PSP2) Several feelings, least of all concept been tried and has failed before, Ex-N-gage owner myself.Tech in that was pretty smart for the time.Also Sony`s track record in field of pricing, Support etc on anything after PS2 has bewildered me at times.Lastly, after failure of PSP Go and fact iphone pretty much got this area sown up, really cannot see just how Sony think this will be a winner. Said it before, i`ll say it again.Current gen.Sony seem to be hell bent on playing catch up with other peoples ideas/Hardware, rather than offering anything truely ground breaking of thier own. Am i right in thinking auctual PSP 2 is something else again?. :?
I think the hybrid Sony Ericsson phone is supposed to be the PSP2 rather being released alongside another variant. The shots being dismissed by Sony are a prototype/early version of the PSP2 with Android OS. For me it sounds a very bad idea! :(
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:44 pm

it wil crash
hard
the iphone has that aera pretty much sewn up thrown in a safe poured concrete over the safe and dumped it in the sea
unless the price the ease of use and the games on offer are compelling enough i dont see this thing going anywhere but a swift grave

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:54 pm

If it is PSP2 then one 1 hand, makes sense not to have another gaming device competing with it, but on other? Sure by time Sony get it out, there`ll be something with the tech.specs to make it look dated, Likes of T3 magazine will be focusing on that.Iphone pretty much THE brand, the gadget in this market, what if anything does PSP2 have that really makes it stand out from the crowd/In with a chance?.Price? Come on, it`s Sony, it`ll be over priced. Which will be bigger failer? This or the Panasonic Jungle?.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:59 pm

i doubt the jungle wil go anywhere
bets are on that the psp 2 wil be the bigger failure if only because the playstation name is attached to it

Joey

Post by Joey » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:09 pm

With Sony's mindset recently i wouldnt be suprised if they tried to take on the iPhone and App store :?

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:39 pm

Nemesis wrote:You may have noticed supposed leak shots of Sony's new PSP phone. So what do you think, is it the new PSPgo (assuming it's genuine of course!)?
They are truly IDIOTIC if they think they're anywhere near flexible enough to take on Apple, let alone Nokia and Blackberry. (And now Google Android and Windows 7 phone)

HAVE Sony got money to burn these days? :?
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:06 pm

:? Ok, Bloody confused now:reports just sites on 'True' PSP2 being something other than this hybrid Android phone/gaming thing.Oh no, PSP2 supposedly has processing power to rival xbox 360, 1 GB Ram No optical (UMD) drive, with Sony still mulling over media storage options. So that`s 2 new products Sony lining up to fail........

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:09 pm

Freestyler wrote:
HAVE Sony got money to burn these days? :?
Guessing answer is:Yes, and it`s our money. :wink:

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:25 am

So, what are everyone's thoughts on todays 'reveal'?

Big copy & paste from Kotaku.

The PSP2 is finally here. Sony revealed its brand new PlayStation Portable at an event in Tokyo today, our first official look at the PlayStation maker's next foray into handheld gaming, the NGP or "Next Generation Portable." First details below.
The Hardware

Sony confirmed many of the features of the PSP2 that we've already heard in the form of leaks, rumor and speculation. The PSP2 features a high-resolution, touch-sensitive OLED screen that's larger than the original PSP screen, tilt-sensitive SIXAXIS controls, dual analog sticks, front and back-facing cameras, and a touch sensitive back panel.

Sony boasts that the new PlayStation Portable is as powerful as a PlayStation 3. The device features built-in WiFi and 3G wireless connectivity and uses an all-new form of media storage for games—no more UMD.

Here's how Sony describes it: "NGP adopts a new game medium, a small flash memory based card, dedicated for NGP software titles. Taking advantage of the flash memory feature, this innovative card can store the full software titles plus add-on game content or the game save data directly on to the card. By adopting flash memory based card, SCE will be able to provide game cards with higher capacity in the future, allowing developers to store more game data to deliver rich and immersive games."

For now, Sony is officially calling the new PlayStation Portable by its codename, Next Generation Portable or NGP. It will be out this holiday in Japan.

The Full Specs

* CPU: ARM® Cortex™-A9 core (4 core)
* GPU: SGX543MP4+
* External Dimensions: Approx. 182.0 x 18.6 x 83.5mm (width x height x depth) (tentative, excludes largest projection)
* Rear touch pad: Multi touch pad (capacitive type)
* Cameras: Front camera, Rear camera
* Sound: Built-in stereo speakers, Built-in microphone
* Sensors: Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer), Three-axis electronic compass
* Keys / Switches: PS button, Power button, Directional buttons (Up/Down/Right/Left), Action buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square), Shoulder buttons (Right/Left), Right stick, Left stick, START button, SELECT button, Volume buttons
* Wireless communications: Mobile network connectivity (3G), IEEE 802.11b/g/n (n = 1x1)(Wi-Fi) (Infrastructure mode/Ad-hoc mode), Bluetooth® 2.1+EDR (A2DP/AVRCP/HSP)

The Games

Sony showcased a handful of games alongside the reveal of the new PSP, including new titles Little Deviants, Reality Fighters and Gravity Daze, plus games based on the following PlayStation franchises.

* Uncharted
* Killzone
* WipeOut
* Resistance
* LittleBigPlanet
* Hustle Kings
* Hot Shots Golf

Sony says the new PlayStation Portable will also play PSone games supported via its PlayStation Suite platform and will be backwards compatible with downloadable PSP games. To demonstrate this, Capcom's Jun Takeuchi demoed Monster Hunter Portable 3rd for the PSP on a NGP.

Third parties have shown demonstrations of Yakuza 4 and Metal Gear Solid 4 running on the system, with Activision announcing a Call of Duty for the new PSP.

sack

Post by sack » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:06 am

Well the choice of GPU keeps me in a job, so I'm happy with that :)
A9 00 8D 20 D0 8D 21 D0 60