Anyone went computing/video gaming at school?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

thl

Anyone went computing/video gaming at school?

Post by thl » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:12 pm

The year was 1989/1990. I was at primary school that time which was dominated by microcomputers. BBC Micro and Research Machines are so popular that it did offered a lot of compatability to support the education programmes. Visit this website for more information: www.old-computers.com

The graphics were typically dated, especially games that are released on BBC Micro. It came with a disk drive, in which the floppy disk was so enormously big. And also it's one of the computers that didn't require a mouse!! :)

I've enjoyed using the RM computers because I remembered having fun with a software called Paintspa. I done so much drawings with the mouse that it appeared on the monitor screen so clearly. That was my favourite moment. :D
Last edited by thl on Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:18 pm

I had to do my Computer Studies GCSE on a Nimbus. :x
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

P-Head

Post by P-Head » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:20 pm

All the computers at my High School were Nimbii.

will2097

Post by will2097 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:21 pm

The RM's were just coming into my school. Before that we had used, and I only vaguely remember them, Z81 or similar. It wasn't a Sinclair Z81 but instead hard metal cased Z81 that a local company had donated to the school... (all a bit vague I'm afraid!)

The game to play on the RMs was 'Snake'!

Will

thl

Re:

Post by thl » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:27 pm

will2097 wrote:The game to play on the RMs was 'Snake'!
I think I played Pirate Gold, a game that you must locate a hidden treasure on the map.

will2097

Re:

Post by will2097 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:36 pm

thl wrote:
I think I played Pirate Gold, a game that you must locate a hidden treasure on the map.

I remember that. I also remember playing a game on the Beeb that involved finding a Rhino. The Rhino was hidden on a grid. A grid A to M on the Y axis and 1 to 13 on the X. You made your guess and it would tell you how far away the Rhino was. That would have been in 4th year -around 1982?

Will

thl

Re:

Post by thl » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:46 am

will2097 wrote:
thl wrote:
I remember that. I also remember playing a game on the Beeb that involved finding a Rhino. The Rhino was hidden on a grid. A grid A to M on the Y axis and 1 to 13 on the X. You made your guess and it would tell you how far away the Rhino was. That would have been in 4th year -around 1982?
Pirate Gold also had a meter bar to show that you're in a hot or cold position of the map. When you enter the grid code, the meter bar changes randomly and it depends how close you are on finding the spot. :wink:

devilman

Post by devilman » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:03 am

At Primary School we had one Camputers Lynx for the whole class. Can't remember an awful lot about it though. High School had us playing with BBCs and eventually Archimedes. Best thing about the Archimedes was sneaking quick goes of Lander before the lesson started.

woody.cool

Re:

Post by woody.cool » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:24 am

I remember playing on Snake for ages in school. I'd get into school early so I could fire-up the Ninbus and boot up Snake.

We also had some "RM 480Z Link's" in the a couple of classes. These were made by RM before the Nimbus and graphically were similar to the BBC Micro.

RM 480Z Link

b.t.w. According to Old-Computers.com the Nimbus didn't arrive till '85 - Is this correct?

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:38 am

Computer Studies in my years at school were dull, learning binary/hex etc was good, however doing some crappy teletext viewdata screens on the BBC computers was a waste but obviously this was before most of the main packages. Best thing we did was discover Frak !

The computer classes after school werent much better either, now it would be totally different. Left school with a terrible mark in the computer studies class, despite loving computers at home for gaming etc i just never liked the lessons. My first job i was shocked to see my old computer studies teacher there ! Think she was as well after my mark !

will2097

Re:

Post by will2097 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:22 am

psj3809 wrote:Computer Studies in my years at school were dull, learning binary/hex etc was good, however doing some crappy teletext viewdata screens on the BBC computers was a waste but obviously this was before most of the main packages. Best thing we did was discover Frak !

The computer classes after school werent much better either, now it would be totally different. Left school with a terrible mark in the computer studies class, despite loving computers at home for gaming etc i just never liked the lessons. My first job i was shocked to see my old computer studies teacher there ! Think she was as well after my mark !
The only subject I ever enjoyed was computers. Good job too considering what I do for a living!

Tapey297

Post by Tapey297 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:31 am

I remember the RM nimbus at my school when the rest of the world was using Windows 3.1 our humble computer room was still running DOS 4 no windows. Imagine my shame and embarresment when I couldn't get Word working for windows the first time I used it (I didn't know you had to double click?! DOH!)

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:34 am

We never had any computer related lessons at school, we had a room full of BBC's but I don't know what they were for as people rarely got to go near them.

Kaptain_Von

Post by Kaptain_Von » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:05 am

In the early 80s we were one of the first schools in the country to have a 'Computer Suite' (formerly one of the boys toilets where traditionally the smokers amongst us would gather and try to do a passable impression of curing kippers whilst clouds of B&H and Embassy smoke billowed from the windows). It was kitted out with a couple of Tandy machines, a Sharp and three BBCs so that we could learn how to draw triangles and scroll "Martin is a w*****!!!!!!!!!" across the screen. This knowledge would obviously stand us in good stead in the world of the future.

Initially only us lot in the lower sixth form got to use them as part of general studies and the room was presided over by one of the Physics masters. As far as the school knew, they were turning out a new generation of computer literate whizzkids ready for the new computer age. The reality was that we spent most of our time playing Planetoids and Arcadians whilst one of our number kept watch from the attached photographic club darkroom to warn us if the headmaster hove into view across the playground as the physics master preferred the warmth of the physics department staff room to the freezing cold ex-toilet block and usually vanished after about five minutes leaving us to our own devices. Oh and he also just happened to have the largest collection of pirated Beeb games around at the time. I think his belief was "let them blow up a few aliens and they probably won't wreck the place when I'm gone". Whatever it was, it meant that computer studies were far more popular than the dry as dust 'political debating' held by the deputy head and now when my boss annoys me I can make some very interesting messages appear on his monitor :)
Cue the music, fade to black...
----------------------------------------------------------
http://kaptainskonfessions.blogspot.com/

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:08 am

We had BBC's in school too, I remember a stupid educational 'game' called Pob or summink. I also remember a game which, if memory serves, was quite good: I don't remember the name, but I think the graphics were mostly red, white and black. It was similar in style to Metroid too... Anyone know it?
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile