any good au retro stores?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Axelay

Re: any good au retro stores?

Post by Axelay » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:49 am

Its okay being from austrailia its not like you can help it (god that must have sounded racist) yeah gametraders is pretty crap I once orderd an ac adaptor for my snes from them and it took 6 MONTHS to arrive. the only good store I can think of is cash conveters which doesnt really count and this old one that closed down years ago where I got my boxed copy of rouge squadren for 20 bucks and n64 for 34$

MikeFishcake

Post by MikeFishcake » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:36 pm

Axelay wrote:is what real
Caps lock day :)

Dizrythmia

Post by Dizrythmia » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:27 pm

Gametraders are all independantly run, so some are better than others depending on who's in charge. I can only speak for South Australia, but you there's "Games 4 All" which is like SNES heaven at the moment, Gamebizz which still sell brand new games for old systems & Retro Nation which sell old video games as well as old toys.

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:03 am

There is a great little store just outside Yabbi Creek.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

lavalyte

Post by lavalyte » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:12 am

Dizrythmia wrote:Gametraders are all independantly run, so some are better than others depending on who's in charge. I can only speak for South Australia, but you there's "Games 4 All" which is like SNES heaven at the moment, Gamebizz which still sell brand new games for old systems & Retro Nation which sell old video games as well as old toys.
In melbourne things aint what they used to be... GameTraders have some items at silly prices. Cash Converters have generally stopped stocking older than ps2. Most second-hand stores don't stock electronics and related items anymore due to insurance costs. Best option is trash and treasure markets, trading post and garage sales.
'I have nothing but the greatest respect for other peoples' crackpot beliefs' - Sam The Eagle.

JD!

Post by JD! » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:08 am

Wow. A lot of anit-Aussie hate here. I thought only Americans were supposed to be laughed at. :lol:

Axelay

Post by Axelay » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:58 am

Nope evreyone gets laughed at evrey once in a while :D . But seriously Not all austrailians are bogans

Uaithne

Post by Uaithne » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:08 pm

Yeah, I can't think of a physical retro gaming store anywhere. I live in Canberra, but frequently visit Melbourne (and everywhere in between) and haven't been able to find anything. I visited a Game Traders store in Melbourne some time back (maybe 2 years ago), which was actually alright - quite a lot there and for 'semi reasonable' prices. Though from the couple of times I visited the one here in Canberra, I was disappointed and thought that they could do a lot more (sorry if you guys are on these forums) - it was basically an EB or GAME store with a couple of Game Boy games for sale.

I find it amusing though, as I know a few people here in Canberra who are retro game collectors and there is no place to 'congregate' (if that's the right word). All of us simply trawl the Internet for bargains wherever possible (and I've found that importing from the UK is often cheaper than buying local anyway). That being said, we often find some good deals at the local trash and treasure (car boot) sales as well as the 'junk' stores around town.

I often think it'd be good to get together and start our own store though. Have items for sale, a few arcade cabinets and consoles out to play etc etc etc .... ahh, the dream.

Seriously though, if someone does know of a good store out there, please let us know...
"Not to know what happened before you were born is to be a child forever" -Marcus Tullius Cicero, 46BC

Wants List | Items for Sale

JD!

Post by JD! » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:16 pm

I don't know of any good bricks-and-mortar stores, but I have used THIS on-line one (although they do have a physical store somewhere in Sydney). Their selection is quite good and they let you trade in games, but their prices are a bit steep.

Uaithne

Post by Uaithne » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:35 am

I've been to that retrogames site before, though never actually bought anything. The Game Auctions site is also pretty good and I've bought a bit off there over the past few months, but most people won't combine postage ... Which really adds up dramatically in the end.

Also, JD! the wants list link in your signature doesn't seem to be working...
"Not to know what happened before you were born is to be a child forever" -Marcus Tullius Cicero, 46BC

JD!

Post by JD! » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:10 am

Uaithne wrote:
Also, JD! the wants list link in your signature doesn't seem to be working...
Thanks for letting me know. I recently changed the URL of the list and forgot to edit the sig. Should be fine now.

Uaithne

Post by Uaithne » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:11 pm

JD! wrote:Thanks for letting me know. I recently changed the URL of the list and forgot to edit the sig. Should be fine now.
No worries. Am actually thinking I'll steal your idea for the same sort of wants/swaps list. Probably start working on it today some time.

TheSpeedOfSex

Post by TheSpeedOfSex » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:32 pm

I believe what you are looking for is hidden and unadvertised.

mainvein

Post by mainvein » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:37 am

Axelay wrote:Nope evreyone gets laughed at evrey once in a while :D . But seriously Not all austrailians are bogans

love the word bogans! what does it mean?