Best possible game remakes?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

station

Best possible game remakes?

Post by station » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:07 am

I'm currently, but very slowly, working on an upgraded version of Colony and Feud. I was hoping at some point to release on XBox Arcade or something (once all the licensing stuff is cleared etc).
I've always wanted to rework these games, as I remember they were quirky and original, I hated shoot em ups of the time as they seemed too hard and unfair, and too linear, and I always wondered what these would look like if they were fully developed independently in today's day and age.

Are there any games you'd like to see reworked by an independent? (As opposed to worked by a big corporation, ie Bionic Commando, and not straying a million miles from the original premise).

It's always interesting to see how something that already has a game design work out on a graphic and gameplay level.

FatTrucker

Re: Best possible game remakes?

Post by FatTrucker » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:18 pm

For me it would probably be X-COM. I know there was that X-COM: Extraterrestrials done a while back and I know Take2 are working on some sexy revamp, but I would love to see the original game, with the features and gameplay completely unmolested with a purely visual update.

I would also like to see all the old Bioware RPG's re-done Fallout 3 style. Neverwinter Nights and its add-ons would be fairly sexy in First person, I've always fancied having a root around The Underdark.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

Lord Innit

Post by Lord Innit » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:15 pm

Graphically,I'd love to see someone have a go at re-doing Barnstorming(2600),and Carrier Command (Amiga).

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:12 pm

Another vote for Xcom in it`s proper form, not this FPS crap that Take-2 are offering up. Add to that: System Shock 2, Captive ( Curiousily in April 1998 issue of Edge, Tony Crowther mused about rewriting it for 3DFX PC and N64), Hunter and Midwinter 2.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:49 pm

X-Com is a good shout but I would want something more than the original with better graphics, that would be a waste.

If you are going to update/remake X-Com and put it on the likes of XBLA than it would absolutely have to have the option of playing against other people, would be brilliant to play against somebody else with one player as the space marines and the other player as the aliens (I used to love playing two player Laser Squad - walking out of the room and not peaking as the other person took their moves :D ).

You could have more weapons, more items to develop and research, multiplayer modes, and the updated graphics but still keep the same brilliant core gameplay.

Supercars 2 and IK+ would also be perfect for a remake on XBLA.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:47 pm

Couple more: Starglider 2 and Realms Of The Haunting. Oh and Overboard on PSN please.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:00 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:X-Com is a good shout but I would want something more than the original with better graphics, that would be a waste.

If you are going to update/remake X-Com and put it on the likes of XBLA than it would absolutely have to have the option of playing against other people, would be brilliant to play against somebody else with one player as the space marines and the other player as the aliens (I used to love playing two player Laser Squad - walking out of the room and not peaking as the other person took their moves :D ).

You could have more weapons, more items to develop and research, multiplayer modes, and the updated graphics but still keep the same brilliant core gameplay.

Supercars 2 and IK+ would also be perfect for a remake on XBLA.
Mythos were doing proper Xcom remake, Back in the day on PS2/PC, Sadly canned, but full details over at unseen64 etc (Or just Goggle Dreamland Chronicles:Freedom Ridge).

deadpan666

Post by deadpan666 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:50 am

I'd love to see a remake of the N64's Body Harvest ...it would be really good if done properly, a mix of GTA, Earth Defense Force and Fallout 3 perhaps?

And I would also like to see Dizzy make a comeback and get the respect he deserves for funding Codemasters....XBLA or PSN would be the ideal places for him to find a new stomping ground....
Cinema Of Stuff Presents - The Undying Monster! http://tinyurl.com/nekrjdx

Let's go, Mr. Driver!

Denny Haynes

Post by Denny Haynes » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:54 am

thevulture wrote:Couple more: Starglider 2 and Realms Of The Haunting. Oh and Overboard on PSN please.
With you on Realms of the haunting, Tony Crowthers best game, well just pips Captive :P
I,m gonna live forever or die trying!

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:59 am

Denny Haynes wrote:
thevulture wrote:Couple more: Starglider 2 and Realms Of The Haunting. Oh and Overboard on PSN please.
With you on Realms of the haunting, Tony Crowthers best game, well just pips Captive :P
Would soooo love to see BOTH these get a remake, i`d never need another 2 games for about 12 months if these happened.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:00 pm

Well, as Sensible Soccer's seen an HD update on XBLA I says its high time the same treatment was afforded Kick Off 2. 8)
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:27 pm

Few more: Theature Europe. Twlight 2000, Project Firestart. Dan Dare. Clive Barkers:Undying. Alien Resurrection (but get the bloody control scheme sorted please). And Hunter-Which was doing open world stuff wayyy before GTA.

Dave300

Post by Dave300 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:48 pm

i'd love Xenon 2 to be remade, still purely 2D and vertical, but with HD graphics. and call me old school, but I don't want to hear about combos or chaining things together, I just want to shoot things, pick up cash, then spend it on upgrading my ship!

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:44 pm

Few more: X-wing, Tie Fighter but on console as well. Rambo 3 (MD).

Fallingwater

Post by Fallingwater » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:24 pm

Two names are on top of my list: Hardwar and Rocket Jockey. Both spawned small projects for homemade remakes, and in both cases they ran out of steam before producing anything playable, most likely due to a very small fanbase.

Now Hardwar wouldn't be very simple to remake, seen how it's a fairly complex (relatively speaking) freeroaming commercial trade/fight sim, but Rocket Jockey can't be that hard, and the fun potential is enormous. It's sad so few people know about it, and even sadder that nothing modern with the same kind of gameplay exists...