Kinect will launch with these 19 games :(

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Freestyler

Re: Kinect will launch with these 19 games :(

Post by Freestyler » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:48 am

I already have Kintect. It's called a Wii.

And the best part about it is Nintendo release stuff on it.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:06 am

It's a good line up for what they are after. If they want to expand the market for 360 there's no point making games that appeal to the people that already own one. I expect that the dance game, kinectimals and kinnect sports will be pretty successful.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:09 am

I would say that something where you don't have to use a controller AT ALL is in fact, pretty revolutionary. Regardless of the launch titles the hardware itself is incredibly exciting. Even if it's not right first time and Kinect 2 has to fix all the bad bits the jump forward is pretty large.

As a game I like having a controller but as a tech geek I'm really looking forward to messing with this and talking to my 360 etc

will2097

Post by will2097 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:10 am

The Angry Jock wrote:
will2097 wrote:How fickle gamers are. When the Wii launched, with an equally thrilling collection of games as far as I was concerned,it was heralded as a revolution.
That's because at the time it was revolutionary, 4 years later it's we've seen it all before. Sony and MS have had that time to get their act together and release flawless systems but it seems they've finally seen that Nintendo had a product people want which set a fire under their arse, and in the rush have produced a load of bland rubbish...maybe because that's what sells on the Wii, maybe because it's easy, either way they're out to make a quick buck.
I believe it was fantastic revolution for Nintendo, consoles being bought by people who hadn't thought of owning one since the Atari 2600 queued up in the rain for a Wii, so they could jiggle about in front of the TV pretending to lose weight. Which is awesome from a certain point of view but just not for me.

Thing is, if Nintendos imagination for the WiiMote hasn't really changed anything, there isn't much hope for Sony and MS is there? Nintendo have had it for 4 years and gimmicked the hell out of it, but.. what? Imagination and high risk strategies are hardly Sony and Microsofts forte. Microsoft even failed to get a retro online arcade to work and Sony couldn't even ape facebook in 3D. Pathetic when you look at it like that...

This whole wafty controller malarky is just the Rumble pack/Analogue/Virtuality/Light Gun of the current gen: sort of interesting, over hyped, a good way of screwing £50 - £100 out of the consumer, a must buy for christmas and jumble-sale fodder in 18 months.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:12 am

There's nothing in the initial line up that really interests me but as I've said before when Child Of Eden comes out I'll be all over it.
Splink!

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:22 am

felgekarp wrote:There's nothing in the initial line up that really interests me but as I've said before when Child Of Eden comes out I'll be all over it.
The only issue with that is you don't need Kinect to play it. And I'd much rather play what is essentially Rez 2 on an actual controller.

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:32 am

Fightersmegamix wrote:It's a good line up for what they are after. If they want to expand the market for 360 there's no point making games that appeal to the people that already own one. I expect that the dance game, kinectimals and kinnect sports will be pretty successful.
The flaw in this logic is that every damn consumer out there in that "expanded market" already owns a Wii. If they want to market this people who do not own a 360 those buyers can be split up into two categories. Once that already have a Wii (if they're interested in this kind of thing, this is most likely) and ones that don't. Why should anyone who owns a Wii pay 200+ for a Kinect bundle if it's not delivering any new content? The ones that don't own a Wii yet, okay, everyone's game at that price. But, do they really exist? Would have to be casually interested gamers/families that prefer the general Xbox art style to the Wii art style OR are actually drawn in by the no controller approach. I just don't see a lot of people fall into that category.

Miketendo

Post by Miketendo » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:42 am

I just love how people think Nintendo is "for kids" and they aren't "hardcore" enough, but they must be doing something right, because Move and Kinect are total ripoffs.

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:45 am

hydr0x wrote:The flaw in this logic is that every damn consumer out there in that "expanded market" already owns a Wii. If they want to market this people who do not own a 360 those buyers can be split up into two categories. Once that already have a Wii (if they're interested in this kind of thing, this is most likely) and ones that don't. Why should anyone who owns a Wii pay 200+ for a Kinect bundle if it's not delivering any new content? The ones that don't own a Wii yet, okay, everyone's game at that price. But, do they really exist? Would have to be casually interested gamers/families that prefer the general Xbox art style to the Wii art style OR are actually drawn in by the no controller approach. I just don't see a lot of people fall into that category.
You're assuming people buy things based on quality rather than advertising or it being the latest fad, it might not sell but it wouldn't suprise me. The wii is 4 years old now and I doubt a lot of casual buyers play it anymore. As you say if you own a wii you might not want one but people can always sell their wii to buy kinnect.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:47 am

will2097 wrote:How fickle gamers are. When the Wii launched, with an equally thrilling collection of games as far as I was concerned,it was heralded as a revolution.
At least the Wii launched with some proper games....might not have been been to everyone's taste but Zelda: Twilight Princess, Red Steel and Super Monkey Ball Adventure were at least a cut above the rest of the party/multiplayer game fodder. Can't see anything in Kinect's launch line up that interests me one bit, asides from maybe Kinect Adventures, and I can't see that having much substance to it. :(

I'm sure it'll have a successful launch if Game aren't lying about the preorder figures, but I'm equally sure it'll be dumped en masse within a couple of years.
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:50 am

Freestyler wrote:I already have Kintect. It's called a Wii.

And the best part about it is Nintendo release stuff on it.
Its called "The Eye toy"
Well that fell into obscurity

James A

Post by James A » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:54 am

In the end it comes down to if there is going to be a killer piece of software for it ala Halo for the Xbox. Looking in a couple of magazines on my dinner break there seems to be alot of more mature software in development or out next year that looks interesting. If they can get the balance right with the software appealing to both hardcore and casual gamers then the could be succesful and lets not forget Microsoft will slash prices if something isn't selling. Theres another point in that we don't know what apps will come out for this in the future. You never know just round the corner could be something really revolutionary that could blow the industry apart.

Just out of curiosity is anyone on the forum getting this on release?

station

Post by station » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:29 am

I think one IR remote controller system is enough. The only relief I get from the XBox and PS3 is at least you can use a standard controller. I've lost interest in new games because they now seem to be firmly placed in 'family entertainment' territory, which isn't a bad thing at all for sales (which produces more good games), but it just doesn't do a thing for me. I thought Super Mario Bros Wii was great as it didn't seem to bung emphasis on 1/2 aiming mini games, and the rest standard arcade control set up.

Also, the aim doesn't seem to be too great on the Wii mote thing? Does anyone else have this setup 100% perfect, or is that just me?
Last edited by station on Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:30 am

Just you :D
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:05 pm

station wrote:Also, the aim doesn't seem to be too great on the Wii mote thing? Does anyone else have this setup 100% perfect, or is that just me?
It's very sensitive to distance when you're using it as a pointer. The ideal spot is about two meters from the sensor bar and things get progressively worse the more you move away from that to the extent that three metres away it'll barely register at all.

I won't say my setup is perfect, but I can at least hack my way to the end of Sin & Punishment 2 with it.