Which Mario games do you not like?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Mayhem

Re: Which Mario games do you not like?

Post by Mayhem » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:25 pm

Rayne wrote:Mario Kart Wii - The Elastic Banding is just horrendous, there's no point in even bloody trying to win at this :?
You're rubbish at the game then... imo the Wii version has some of the least rubber banding on the AI of most Mario Kart titles. It's certainly a lot less than the SNES or N64 versions.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:21 pm

Mayhem wrote:
Rayne wrote:Mario Kart Wii - The Elastic Banding is just horrendous, there's no point in even bloody trying to win at this :?
You're rubbish at the game then... imo the Wii version has some of the least rubber banding on the AI of most Mario Kart titles. It's certainly a lot less than the SNES or N64 versions.
Yep, agree with that....which brings me onto pretty much the only Mario game I don't like (much).....Mario Kart 64!

The Wii's version's 'elastic banding' has nothing on the N64s....no other kart racing game I've played (and I've played a lot) has it so bad as MK64. I find the course designs horrendous as well, either the tracks are too wide and open (ie Moo Moo Farm) leading to red shells being chucked everywhere and skill going out the window, way too long, or overly complex but with horrible flaws in them, such as the potentially game breaking 'jump' in Wario Stadium where the easiest way to win in multiplayer is to deliberately go into last place just before the final lap to make sure you get a Lightning. :evil: In fact, the unfair item distribution ruins the rest of the game as well, in the original Super Mario Kart, you at least had the feather power up that you could use to avoid incoming attacks and take short cuts if you were a skilled player, and other karts were limited to throwing one shell at a time at you, MK64 seems completely rigged against a skilled player by giving them sod all powerups to defend themselves with (95% of the time you seem to get a single banana if you're in first), meanwhile the losing players are rewarded with things like multiple red shells and, worst of all, the bloody Blue Shell :evil: :evil:

Later games in the series have sorted the balance issues out to some extent, but not enough to make any of them as enjoyable as the SNES original. But the rot mostly started with Mario Kart 64 so I personally hate it.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:16 pm

Never liked the original Super Mario Land - an awkward fiddly little game that pales in comparison to the genius sequel.

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:18 pm

Liamh1982 wrote:Never liked the original Super Mario Land - an awkward fiddly little game that pales in comparison to the genius sequel.
I think one of the reasons was the level select map thingy. Loved Mario Land 2.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

Neilos626

Post by Neilos626 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:41 pm

I never liked super mario 64, just find it completely unplayable and mario kart wii lacks soul.

I see a lot of people are jumping on the lets bash super mario 2 bandwagon. I dont understand what it is people dislike about this game, it's great fun and well put together.
Flux Capacitors wanted email MartyMcFly1985@greatscott.net

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:46 pm

Mario64 is genius, Mario 2 is tedious.
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:49 pm

I like mario kart and the golf and tennis games. Loved paper mario but not the wii version. Prefer sonic and donkey kong in 2d and don't get on with any of the 3d mario games. Mario sunshine was my least favourite.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:59 pm

Mario Sunshine is the spawn of Satan's filthy bog. I loved the bright tropical island setting (it makes you want to be there) but some of the challenges are just insane. I think the balance tilted too much in the direction of frustration and away from 'challenge'. Other Mario games throw up hard levels that can make you swear but Sunshine was the only main game in the series that felt cruel when you died for the 20th time on the same level.

As for the spin-offs, Mario Superstar Baseball for the 'cube is a horrible game. The barrel-breaking minigame is the only highlight for me.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

killbot

Post by killbot » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:16 pm

Sunshine certainly is difficult, but it is possible to finish it - I've done it, although it did take me a long time. Of course, that's 'finish' as in kill Bowser - playing to get all the Shines would be staggeringly difficult, but I'm convinced it would be possible.

The problem is that it gets compared - understandably - to 64 and Galaxy, and it's not as good as those. But that's like saying that a Ferrari 348 is worse than an F40 or an Enzo. Maybe it is, but you still wouldn't say no would you?

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:59 pm

killbot wrote:Sunshine certainly is difficult, but it is possible to finish it - I've done it, although it did take me a long time. Of course, that's 'finish' as in kill Bowser - playing to get all the Shines would be staggeringly difficult, but I'm convinced it would be possible.
It's easy to get to the Bowser "finish", it's the shines that's are the problem. You have no idea how difficult it is until you need that last couple, fecking impossible. Believe me, it's not a decision taken lightly to abandon a game that close to the end.
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:34 pm

killbot wrote:
The problem is that it gets compared - understandably - to 64 and Galaxy, and it's not as good as those. But that's like saying that a Ferrari 348 is worse than an F40 or an Enzo. Maybe it is, but you still wouldn't say no would you?
i would
i dont particulairly care for cars in general or ferrari's in particulair only reason i would say yes to a ferrari is to sell it again

on topic

i absolutley loath super mario kart on the snes mario kart on the gba double dash on the cube and mario kart on the wii

the whole mario party series can burn as well tedious boring with cheating AI and hand destroying mini games

didnt care much for mario land 2

i dont hate mario world but it introduced yoshi a reason to at least feel disdain for it i dont like yoshi

new super mario on the ds made me want to snap my ds

super mario sunshine was a complete and utter dissapointment not only with an insane difficulty threshold it just felt like a slightly upgraded more sadistic mario 64
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

FlyHighKid

Post by FlyHighKid » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:44 am

Super Mario Kart. ANNOYING, nuff said.
Image Image
psj3909 wrote:What next, Scary Movie better than Schindlers List ? What is everyone smoking.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:46 am

Most of them.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:52 am

Never really gotten into any of them, can play the 2D games ok, but they don`t hook me as such.Mario Kart on any format?Just leaves me cold.Own Mario 64.Technically thought it was great at the time, but again, not something i wanted to spend time playing.So i dunno, is that an ALL of them vote?.

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:21 am

Any of the 'educational' ones.. and the party series does nothing for me..

Gotta be just the main 1,2,3, world, yoshi's island, mario 64 and the golf titles, anything else doesnt really appeal