Lucasarts's adventure games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Ish

Post by Ish » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:34 pm

They were fantastic. I was playing Day of the Tentacle in early December and as well as being a funny and engaging game the character art really is fantastic. I played all there classics except Grim Fandango. Which I just never got round to buying. Wheres that eBay link.... :)
www.videogamejunkie.co.uk - musings on old videogames

Matt M

Post by Matt M » Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:34 am

I missed out on a few of the original Retro Gamer magazine issues, did any of them have a feature on Lucasarts's adventure games? If not any plans for one in the future?

Dudley

Re:

Post by Dudley » Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:11 am

Matt M wrote:I missed out on a few of the original Retro Gamer magazine issues, did any of them have a feature on Lucasarts's adventure games? If not any plans for one in the future?
No feature I remember.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

kaiserpc

Post by kaiserpc » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:13 am

I play scumm on my pda - pure class. What a shame they killed off the genre. Why does everything have to be 3D these days :cry:

dust

Post by dust » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:08 pm

No mentions of "The Dig"? That's the only one I've played so far and I loved it but got a bit stuck so gave up on it... Wonderfully eerie game though - I really must re-visit it sometime soon :)

Dudley

Re:

Post by Dudley » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:12 pm

dust wrote:No mentions of "The Dig"? That's the only one I've played so far and I loved it but got a bit stuck so gave up on it... Wonderfully eerie game though - I really must re-visit it sometime soon :)
The Dig is good, but is a noticeably different style to any of the other SCUMM adventures so doesn't often get lumped in with the likes of Monkey Island and Day of the Tentacle.

backdrifter

Post by backdrifter » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:17 pm

Ah the old LucasArts point 'n' clickers! Easily my favourite gaming genre, and LucasArts certainly knocked up a fair few classics. Obviously the likes of Monkey Island (only the first two really), Sam and Max, and Grim Fndango are absolute crackers. Personally, I thought The Dig was up there with the very best too, though a fair few seem eager to bash that one.

Sabreman

Post by Sabreman » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:28 pm

I think it might just be to do with the fact that it came sandwiched in between a whole slew of pure comedy adventures, and people really weren't expecting something so serious. It has funny moments, but more in the dry humour vein and in dialogue. I love it to bits, as I do pretty much all of them, but then the whole space theme had me drooling from the earliest previews anyway.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:05 pm

Loom often suffers for the same reason.

The Penultimate Ninja

Re:

Post by The Penultimate Ninja » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:27 am

Dudley wrote:
dust wrote:No mentions of "The Dig"? That's the only one I've played so far and I loved it but got a bit stuck so gave up on it... Wonderfully eerie game though - I really must re-visit it sometime soon :)
The Dig is good, but is a noticeably different style to any of the other SCUMM adventures so doesn't often get lumped in with the likes of Monkey Island and Day of the Tentacle.

The Dig is very atmospheric, I enjoyed it a lot... don't remember if I ever completed it though.

I have to echo most of the comments here, Sam & Max and Day of the Tentacle are still among my favorite ever games.

I never managed to get the safe open in Monkey Island 1. :oops:

Anyone got a full list of lucasarts/SCUMM adventure games?

Sabreman

Post by Sabreman » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:42 am

Maniac Mansion
Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
The Secret of Monkey Island
Loom
Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Day of the Tentacle
Sam and Max Hit the Road
The Dig
Full Throttle
The Curse of Monkey Island
Grim Fandango
Escape from Monkey Island

EnglishRob

Post by EnglishRob » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:13 pm

After reading this thread I got ScummVM working on the Xbox.

Last night I was up until about 1:30am playing Day Of The Tentacle. It's been a long time since any game has kept me up so late. I just love the humour.

One of my favorite bits is when Bernard paint's dead ted red and says "Ted is red. See red Ted." :)

Once I've completed DOTT, I'll start on the Monkey Island games.

Don't suppose there is any chance of a feature on the Lucasarts adventure games? I suppose for all the fans out there of the individual games, each series of games could do with its own feature :)

Rob

sven

Re:

Post by sven » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:24 pm

backdrifter wrote:Ah the old LucasArts point 'n' clickers! Easily my favourite gaming genre, and LucasArts certainly knocked up a fair few classics. Obviously the likes of Monkey Island (only the first two really), Sam and Max, and Grim Fndango are absolute crackers. Personally, I thought The Dig was up there with the very best too, though a fair few seem eager to bash that one.
The Dig came about three years late and showed definite signs of aging when it was released. I suppose that had a lot to do with it. It's a really nice game, if a little short.

I still got the box somewhere. It's one of those forgotten gems, like Al Lowe's kid story, Torin's Passage, which was also a rather nice game.

sven

Re:

Post by sven » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:29 pm

Ish wrote:They were fantastic. I was playing Day of the Tentacle in early December and as well as being a funny and engaging game the character art really is fantastic. I played all there classics except Grim Fandango. Which I just never got round to buying. Wheres that eBay link.... :)
Grim Fandango is the crown jewel of Lucasarts adventures (along with the first two Monkey Island games, of course). It's extremely well done and polished, has a great sense of humour about itself and has an awesome sound track. It's a great shame that Lucasarts stopped making these games.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:28 pm

I started playing Day of the Tentacle for the first time on the bus to a Hogmanay party on PSP. For the week it took to complete, I have to say its some of the best entertainment I've had in a long time, I was thoroughly hooked.

Loom is good, quite atmospheric. Completed that on Atari ST as its quite easy. I've got Full Throttle, but the minigames got frustrating so I stopped playing for a bit and never returned to it. I think I need to correct that soon.

I'd like a bit of Leisure Suit Larry, but I don't think there's a PSP interpreter yet. These games are ideal tea/lunch break fodder.

SCUMMVM isn't particularly technical to get going. Its pretty much 'install SCUMMVM, copy games to folder, run SCUMMVM'. I highly recommend it.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.