Lucasarts's adventure games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Matt M

Lucasarts's adventure games

Post by Matt M » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:11 am

Just wondered if any of you have played Lucasart's 80's/90's adventure titles? Some of my fonest memories of gaming is playing The Secret of Monkey Island :P

I have now have a collection of 20 or so Lucasarts adventure games and was wondering whether anyone else enjoys them?

punkpie

Post by punkpie » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:17 am

I did play Monkey Island 2 again a little while but got frustrated when I got well and truly stuck. The Indiana Jones games were pretty good too.

I should really some more of these. I'm hoping someone gets scumm running properly on a DS. It'd be great with the stylus.

planetmatt

Post by planetmatt » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:43 am

IMO, they are some of the best games ever written. I love Monkey Island 2 and Day of the Tentacle. Fantastic scripts.

Morkin

Re:

Post by Morkin » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:10 am

punkpie wrote:
I'm hoping someone gets scumm running properly on a DS. It'd be great with the stylus.
If this was to happen, I'd have their (being the people that get it working) babies. :o

punkpie

Post by punkpie » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:27 pm

It's happening... http://scummvm.drunkencoders.com/. I couldn't get much working with the version in September but I haven't yet tried the new release which just came out before christmas.

Give it time 8)

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:18 pm

Looking good, until I saw these words...

The process for installing and running homebrew software such as this on the DS is fairly complex, and you will need a fair amount of general computer skills to get it all to work.
I am officially censored when it comes to tech stuff. :(

Hungry Horace

Post by Hungry Horace » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:04 pm

Lucasarts are behind some of my most cherished Amiga and PC gaming memories. Monkey 1 and 2, obviously; as well as six-billion floppy Fate of Atlantis.

They really found their form, IMHO, with Sam and Max; with Grim Fandango a close second.

'RUN YOU PIGEONS, IT'S ROBERT FROST!' Priceless. I choked on my coffee when Manny yelled that; and rate it as my favourite Lucasarts quote. I'd be interested to hear any favourite advanture game quotes of yours...
Get your own Gamercard Sig.

Sabreman

Post by Sabreman » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:36 pm

I used to be quite obsessed with them, these days I'm just mildly obsessed. I still have all the reviews that I cut out of game mags and compiled into a 'Lucasarts Adventures' folder.

This is up to the Grim Fandango days. Although that is a very highly rated game I can't really get on with the control, and a large part of the charm of these old adventures is the bitmapped graphics. I still think MI2 is one of the best-looking games ever made.

In recent good news, a friend of mine moved house and found my thought to be lost original, boxed copy of Sam and Max.

beesty

Post by beesty » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:03 pm

Monkey Island.

Just one of the greatest games ever and I dont like adventure games,thats how good it was.
the c64 was king,and the speccy,and the amiga,and,,,,,ooh u know the rest

HalcyonDaze

Post by HalcyonDaze » Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:18 am

Loved the Monkey Island games, especially 1 and 2, which are pure gaming genius.

Monkey Island 1 & 2 would have to be in my top 10 all time faves.

Guybrush Threepwood = legend.

Matt M

Post by Matt M » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:55 pm

One game I haven't played from Lucasarts is Loom. Anyone played it?

Sabreman

Post by Sabreman » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:30 pm

Loom's a bit short and rather easy. It's been a long time since I played it through but it is quite charming and certainly worth a look.

merman

Post by merman » Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:27 pm

The C64 games are pretty impressive for the machine - Maniac Mansion and Zak McKracken for example. I also have a soft spot for Labyrinth, which can probably be considered the fore-runner of the SCUMM games. Large animated sprites, verb/noun input, puzzles. And it was also the foundation for the online community "Habitat"...

EnglishRob

Post by EnglishRob » Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:43 am

I love the Monkey Island games, well the first three anyway. I did have Monkey Island 4 but wasn't too keen on the 3D world. IMHO, they should have kept it in 2D similar to the earlier adventures.

I'm also a big fan of Day Of The Tentacle. I did have Maniac Mansion on the PC but didn't get on too well with it.

I wish Lucas Arts would release talkie versions of Monkey Island 1 & 2, but I guess they wouldn't make enough money to make it worth it.

Taking of the DS version of ScummVM, I wish they'd convert it to the GBA.

Rob

Spiff

Post by Spiff » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:00 am

That SCUMM stuff sounds too complicated for me!
Lucasarts should just release a series of compilations for DS, they'd make a fortune!