Goldeneye wii

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Montytom

Goldeneye wii

Post by Montytom » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:40 am

I'm really looking forward to this and just a few questions how much will it be with the golden controller.also when is it due. I might pre order it whats other peoples views?

snowkatt

Re: Goldeneye wii

Post by snowkatt » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:30 am

ill wait for it to drop in price
or buy it used
not that interested in it
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

Team Alfie

Post by Team Alfie » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:59 am

I used a voucher to pre-order it from Zavvi with the golden controller for £44.99. I can't remember what the voucher was or if it's still valid, hotukdeals will tell you. That might not even be a good price when it finally comes out, I dunno.

I've got high hopes for it. At its most basic it appears to be COD with the GoldenEye atmosphere of old. That sounds like a perfect combination to me.

Montytom

Post by Montytom » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:55 am

snowkatt wrote:ill wait for it to drop in price
or buy it used
not that interested in it
Fair play I'm just like a child at the moment I can't wait

Montytom

Post by Montytom » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:58 am

Team Alfie wrote:I used a voucher to pre-order it from Zavvi with the golden controller for £44.99. I can't remember what the voucher was or if it's still valid, hotukdeals will tell you. That might not even be a good price when it finally comes out, I dunno.

I've got high hopes for it. At its most basic it appears to be COD with the GoldenEye atmosphere of old. That sounds like a perfect combination to me.
That's a brilliant price I hope it's going to be awesome I would splash out on this one. I don't normally go for special editions but this one is the exeption and for only £44.99 it would be silly not to. Thanks for your help I appreciate it.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:39 pm

Not so hyped. Goldeneye hasn't aged well and it's going to be done by Activision so... :?

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:46 pm

I've already been duped into buying another Halo and realising I'm sick of FPS's, this looks pretty ropey too. Donkey kong country for me.

the_b1ues

Post by the_b1ues » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:34 pm

i played this at euro gamer for a remake i was really dissappointed the guns are different and the maps i played on arnt even on the orginal game im not getting it.

killbot

Post by killbot » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:36 pm

It looks okay. But why? The original still plays well enough and I can't see how Activision think they're going to improve on what Rare have already done. It's the videogame equivalent of Dan Brown rewriting Hamlet. Why can't we have a Wii version of Blood Stone instead?

I'm also confused as to why Craig is in the game instead of Brosnan. Does Activision's Bond licence stipulate that they can only include Craig's likeness? Or do they think that consumers will be confused if they see anyone other than the current Bond in the game?

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Team Alfie

Post by Team Alfie » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:13 am

killbot wrote:I'm also confused as to why Craig is in the game instead of Brosnan. Does Activision's Bond licence stipulate that they can only include Craig's likeness? Or do they think that consumers will be confused if they see anyone other than the current Bond in the game?
It's not just the likeness, from what I understand Craig has been involved with the game and contributed some voice acting to it. I'm guessing Brosnan wouldn't be allowed to do that now even if he wanted to.

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:24 am

killbot wrote:I'm also confused as to why Craig is in the game instead of Brosnan. Does Activision's Bond licence stipulate that they can only include Craig's likeness? Or do they think that consumers will be confused if they see anyone other than the current Bond in the game?
I think it's a bit of both. I should imagine that when Craig signed on as Bond part of the deal was to lend his image to the games as Bond, possibly exclusively for the duration that he plays Bond, so they can't use Brosnan, which is a pity.

Though I'm sure the suits wouldn't want Brosnan even if the developers did, you know what these corporate types are like, everything has to be current and hip etc, and Brosnan would be seen as old and unfashionable, everyone wants to be like Daniel Craig now with his speedos physique etc, or so they think.

As for making it in the first place, well I think that they see a hole in the FPS market on the Wii, there isn't really one dominant FPS on the Wii like Halo on the 360, and Goldeneye as a brand has FPS pedigree (ironically more so if you discount Rouge Agent) and a connection to Nintendo from the N64 days. While a port of the original is surely preferable to most of us, remaking the game over is probably the only way to play it on the current hardware, emulation aside.

I doubt I'll pick it up at launch, I'll probably wait for the reviews and maybe get it once it drops in price. I still have Metoid Prime 3 to finish at some point so I'm not really desperate for a FPS at the moment. I'm not even sure I want a golden contoller to be honest, won't it look a bit much? I'm sure the contoller is to appeal to the mainstream PS3/360 FPS crowd, but surely the remote and nunchuck will do fine for a FPS.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

killbot

Post by killbot » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:34 am

pratty wrote:
killbot wrote:As for making it in the first place, well I think that they see a hole in the FPS market on the Wii, there isn't really one dominant FPS on the Wii like Halo on the 360, and Goldeneye as a brand has FPS pedigree (ironically more so if you discount Rouge Agent) and a connection to Nintendo from the N64 days.
I think going up against Conduit 2 could be a mistake. All the previews are saying that High Voltage have learned the lessons of the first game and that the new one is spectacularly good. There's already Red Steel 2 and Metroid Prime 3 both of which can be picked up cheaply, and of course the Call Of Duty games (including the new one).

The Wii certainly isn't as saturated with FPS games as the PS3/360, but even so there are enough good games either already available or due soon that Activision might find it harder to corner the market than they might assume.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:15 am

Wasn't impressed with Conduit (particularly the controls) so Conduit 2 would have to be amazing for me to consider it. Might put Goldeneye Wii on the Christmas list, sure it'll hold it's price.

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:30 am

I have a nagging feeling this is going to be a huge disappointment.. Im saving my money for Donkey Kong Country Returns.. that looks ACE!

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:45 am

killbot wrote:The Wii certainly isn't as saturated with FPS games as the PS3/360, but even so there are enough good games either already available or due soon that Activision might find it harder to corner the market than they might assume.
I wouldn't disagree, but I think filling a percieved gap the market is probably only half the point. I would guess there has been a lot of demand for Goldeneye on virtual console (probably with the hopeful dream of online multiplayer), and remaking the game would go some distace to satisfying/capitalising on the demand.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823