Good old games poll

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

How do you feel about GOGs publicity stunt

It was wrong. I won't buy games from them again.
41%
It was wrong, I will still buy games from them.
21%
I couldn't care less, I just want to play Baldur's Gate.
13%
I thought it was funny.
26%

Total votes: 39

Timothy Lumsden

Re: Good old games poll

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:38 pm

Would you trust these clown with your credit card details after this? Not me.

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:13 pm

Timothy Lumsden wrote:Would you trust these clown with your credit card details after this? Not me.
Yeah the financial software they use is definitely under suspicion after that. It probably orchestrated the whole campaign!. :roll:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:41 pm

FatTrucker wrote:
Timothy Lumsden wrote:Would you trust these clown with your credit card details after this? Not me.
Yeah the financial software they use is definitely under suspicion after that. It probably orchestrated the whole campaign!. :roll:
It's not the software though, is it? It's the people that use it.
They didn't think twice about taking the censored out of their customers. Who's to say they wuldn't think twice about selling on their card details?
Intenet commerce runs on trust. It's always a gamble. You never really know the character of the people on the other end. We have to assume the poeple we're dealing with are professional and honest. With GOG we now know that isn't the case.

FooAtari

Post by FooAtari » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:10 pm

That's what Paypal is for.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:40 pm

Whilst i was aware of the site, Never used it.As for the 'stunt' itself? Kinda makes me wonder the thinking behind it. Sure, it`s a P.R thing to generate interest (Yawn), but all it`s really doing is showing how little they respect the folks that do use it.wonder how 'funny' they`d find it if users steer clear after this?. Is it really worth giving them any more coverage in the media, that what they`ve had so far?.All well and good 'repenting' afterwards, but why not go whole hog, put up vid of stable door being bolted after horse has gone...just as cliched as thier 'stunt'.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:56 am

Crunchy wrote:
FatTrucker wrote:
It's not the software though, is it? It's the people that use it.
They didn't think twice about taking the censored out of their customers. Who's to say they wuldn't think twice about selling on their card details?
Intenet commerce runs on trust. It's always a gamble. You never really know the character of the people on the other end. We have to assume the poeple we're dealing with are professional and honest. With GOG we now know that isn't the case.
spot on

QuantumCrayons

Post by QuantumCrayons » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:00 am

I thought it was quite a good ploy and it's certainly made them better known; who can say it didn't work?
Funny as anything to me.

Kai

Post by Kai » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:32 pm

The site (or the idea behind it) is not that bad, really. But I won't pay another 10 bucks for (awesome) games like Planescape Torment. The price tag is much too high, imho.

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:47 pm

Couldn't give a sh1t!

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:55 pm

I understand why they did it, and why they felt they had to do it, but that in no way excuses their conduct.
It's that sort of scutty Max Clifford style blagging that the games industry can definitely do without.

Clear case of manipulation.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:12 pm

Imagine if Darran posted on the forum that RG was folding ; then 3 days later came back and said that it was a joke , intended to generate interest and new subscribers to the mag. I wonder how everyone would feel about that?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:28 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:Imagine if Darran posted on the forum that RG was folding ; then 3 days later came back and said that it was a joke , intended to generate interest and new subscribers to the mag. I wonder how everyone would feel about that?
Not as annoyed as when they see the novelty Mario cover, at which point they will be hoping Darran posts that it's all a big joke.

FooAtari

Post by FooAtari » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:48 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:Imagine if Darran posted on the forum that RG was folding ; then 3 days later came back and said that it was a joke , intended to generate interest and new subscribers to the mag. I wonder how everyone would feel about that?
Except GoG never specifically said the service was shutting down. If you read the message on the site there was no statement saying the service was closed. It said;

"We have recently had to give serious thought to whether we could really keep GOG.com the way it is. We've debated on it for quite some time and, unfortunately, we've decided that GOG.com simply cannot remain in its current form,"

People (including me) just jumped to conclusions. The crucial bit was "cannot remain in it's current form".

Sepp Salerno

Post by Sepp Salerno » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:09 pm

Yeah, I'm feeling that one.

Also, it's a bit of a sure fire way to make a good company look pretty desperate, and, well a little pathetic.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:19 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:
Not as annoyed as when they see the novelty Mario cover, at which point they will be hoping Darran posts that it's all a big joke.
Our new Mario cover is awesome. So there :D