What is 'retro'?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Jude@Play

What is 'retro'?

Post by Jude@Play » Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:39 am

Forgive me if this subject has been broached before (I did a search and couldn't find anything), but as a new member I was wondering what the general consensus is on what actually makes a game 'retro'?

Is is the system it appears on, the year it was released or the type of gameplay?

For me, it's the console - if the console is no longer marketed, I consider it retro.

muse hunter

Re: What is 'retro'?

Post by muse hunter » Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:33 am

Jude@Play wrote:Forgive me if this subject has been broached before (I did a search and couldn't find anything), but as a new member I was wondering what the general consensus is on what actually makes a game 'retro'?

Is is the system it appears on, the year it was released or the type of gameplay?

For me, it's the console - if the console is no longer marketed, I consider it retro.
many here believe that it has to be a sh!ttyy home computer to be retro but thats a load of b0llocks.

A retro console would be any console which no longer has official games released on it (so anything DC and before), all games on these consoles would be considered retro games.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:08 am

So a GX4000 is retro but a CPC isn't?

Interesting.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:12 am

Retro is a broad term where games are concerned and it means different things to different people. Generally though anything that is no longer commercially available could be considered retro.

To most people Retro refers to things they experienced at a previous time in their life, so to us old crusty gamers, things like the Dreamcast, and Playstation still feel relatively contemporary and we need to hark all the way back prior to the 32 bit era to scratch our retro itch.

For someone younger, the 'retro' machines that they remember are likely to be more current.

Basically though, its a very personalised thing so if you consider something Retro then it is. Retro gamers simply share a common appreciation for games and systems from their past, whatever era that might involve.

Regardless of peoples opinions on the matter it isn't a tightly defined term so welcome to the forums.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

StarEye

Post by StarEye » Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:31 am

If a game gives you a sense of nostalgia, it could be considered a retro-game.

muse hunter

Post by muse hunter » Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:38 am

then again i don't like using the term 'retro' as its a load of ball crap really. If i'm listening to nirvana, blur, or iron maiden i'm not retro listening, when i watch a monty python film i'm not retro watching am i? so when i'm gaming i'm simply gaming thats all, i'm not pigeon holing it or giving it a sh!tty name, when i'm playing videogames whatever the game, i'm simply just playing videogames.

retrogaming my arse

The Last Ginja

Re:

Post by The Last Ginja » Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:42 am

muse hunter wrote:then again i don't like using the term 'retro' as its a load of ball crap really. If i'm listening to nirvana, blur, or iron maiden i'm not retro listening, when i watch a monty python film i'm not retro watching am i? so when i'm gaming i'm simply gaming thats all, i'm not pigeon holing it or giving it a sh!tty name, when i'm playing videogames whatever the game, i'm simply just playing videogames.

retrogaming my arse
So the magazine should just be called "Gamer*" ?

FatTrucker

Re:

Post by FatTrucker » Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:41 am

muse hunter wrote:then again i don't like using the term 'retro' as its a load of ball crap really. If i'm listening to nirvana, blur, or iron maiden i'm not retro listening, when i watch a monty python film i'm not retro watching am i? so when i'm gaming i'm simply gaming thats all, i'm not pigeon holing it or giving it a sh!tty name, when i'm playing videogames whatever the game, i'm simply just playing videogames.

retrogaming my arse
Not really mate, its a descriptive term that helps people to access information they are looking for on subjects that interest them. As for your examples all things of that nature are regularly referred to as 'Legendary' or 'Classic' and other such terms for old but still viable media so perhaps calling it 'Classic' gaming would float your boat?, all boils down to the same thing though so the argument is purely semantic and completely pointless.

Its not about pigeon holing or compartmentalising. Retro gaming is very much a seperate past time from contemporary gaming and is as much about nostalgia, discussion of shared experience and appreciation of the whole evolutionary process of the games and games industry as well as the games themselves.

Most 'retro' titles are no longer available commercially or discussed on mainstream forums so there needs to be a seperate and dedicated platform for people who continue to appreciate outdated software and hardware hence the differentiation between contemporary and retro and the need to identify it as such.

For someone who's so forthcoming and aggressive with their opinion on a Retro gaming forum you seem incredibly ignorant of what the broader appeal of retro gaming actually is and you seem completely unable to appreciate or accept that its an interest that covers broad spectrums of people and ages all interested in different facets and aspects.

Why all the vitriol and petulance?, are you perhaps a refugee from IGN?.
Last edited by FatTrucker on Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:52 am

It's a difficult question

A lot of people seem to think of the DC as retro ,but PS1 not,as do I

And playing on a DS feels like retro gaming,even though they're new games

For every (almost) any definition of retro , there's an exception to the rule
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

necronom

Post by necronom » Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:51 am

Ahhhh, the "what is retro" question :D

As has been said many times, it's different for everyone. For me, the Atari VCS/2600 to the C64/Spectrum days are "true" retro, with the Amiga being "slightly" retro. I don't class the PS1 or anything since as retro.

CrookedMouth

Post by CrookedMouth » Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:57 am

anything 10 years old apperently, lol
actually it's subjective.
for me its "The Brown Box" by Ralph Baer, everything after is cutting edge j/k

LoungeVamp

Post by LoungeVamp » Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:07 am

The latin term Retro equates to "backward" or "behind"

Thus it's anything that's either a bit stupid or arse-like :D

FatTrucker

Re:

Post by FatTrucker » Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:08 am

LoungeVamp wrote:The latin term Retro equates to "backward" or "behind"

Thus it's anything that's either a bit stupid or arse-like :D
Thats me covered on both counts then.

old_speccer

Post by old_speccer » Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:19 am

Anything 10 years or older is Retro according to me! :)

muse hunter

Re:

Post by muse hunter » Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:27 am

FatTrucker wrote:

retrogaming my arse
Not really mate, its a descriptive term that helps people to access information they are looking for on subjects that interest them. As for your examples all things of that nature are regularly referred to as 'Legendary' or 'Classic' and other such terms for old but still viable media so perhaps calling it 'Classic' gaming would float your boat?, all boils down to the same thing though so the argument is purely semantic and completely pointless.

Its not about pigeon holing or compartmentalising. Retro gaming is very much a seperate past time from contemporary gaming and is as much about nostalgia, discussion of shared experience and appreciation of the whole evolutionary process of the games and games industry as well as the games themselves.

Most 'retro' titles are no longer available commercially or discussed on mainstream forums so there needs to be a seperate and dedicated platform for people who continue to appreciate outdated software and hardware hence the differentiation between contemporary and retro and the need to identify it as such.

For someone who's so forthcoming and aggressive with their opinion on a Retro gaming forum you seem incredibly ignorant of what the broader appeal of retro gaming actually is and you seem completely unable to appreciate or accept that its an interest that covers broad spectrums of people and ages all interested in different facets and aspects.

Why all the vitriol and petulance?, are you perhaps a refugee from IGN?.
i never hear of movies and such being labelled anything other than a movie, people use the word 'classic' to describe a certain film, book, album, even videogame, as a timeless piece of art not something of a certain age.

Using the term 'retro' does nothing to encourage others to embrace videogames which many would see as relics. Its just another way for people to try and seperate themselves away from the mainstream, a way to make themselves feel superior and hardcore, they then label their hobby to scare away outsiders. While they are in their small little group they laugh at those on the outside while labelling them with derogatory terms. Labelling yourself as a 'retrogamer' is no different to calling yourself a 'trekkie', or an 'emo', it does nothing to help people recognise the history of videogames in the same way as music, film, or literature.

Gaming still hasn't grown up, you play videogames whether thats on a mobile phone, or on a jap saturn, speccy or xbox your simply gaming and thus your a gamer, its just that others prefer different things, it doesn't make one form of gaming superior to the other. When i order a film from america i'm not an import watcher am i? i'm not retro watching when i watch 'life of brian' for the hundreth time? and i'm certainly not a mainstream watcher when i watch 'fast and the furious'. Shed these labels, who cares about being a mainstream gamer, arcade gamer, retrogamer, import gamer, or hardcore gamer, pointless wastful terms that do the image of the industry no good, we are all gamers full stop.