What is 'retro'?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:07 pm

I go with the simple 3rd gen rule. 360 i curren gen - not retro, xbox is 2nd gen - not retro.

When the PS3 is released then the ps1 becomes officially retro in my rules.

It gets a bit messy when tey stop making consoles though. So if the company stops making new consoles then you go with the generation that it was peered with. DC will become retro when the PS1 is.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:07 pm

When i order a film from america i'm not an import watcher am i? i'm not retro watching when i watch 'life of brian' for the hundreth time? and i'm certainly not a mainstream watcher when i watch 'fast and the furious'
Um... yes you are. I've seen film magazines and fanatics use all 3 terms.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

FatTrucker

Re:

Post by FatTrucker » Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:33 pm

muse hunter wrote:
FatTrucker wrote:
muse hunter wrote:then again i don't like using the term 'retro' as its a load of ball crap really. If i'm listening to nirvana, blur, or iron maiden i'm not retro listening, when i watch a monty python film i'm not retro watching am i? so when i'm gaming i'm simply gaming thats all, i'm not pigeon holing it or giving it a sh!tty name, when i'm playing videogames whatever the game, i'm simply just playing videogames.

retrogaming my arse
Not really mate, its a descriptive term that helps people to access information they are looking for on subjects that interest them. As for your examples all things of that nature are regularly referred to as 'Legendary' or 'Classic' and other such terms for old but still viable media so perhaps calling it 'Classic' gaming would float your boat?, all boils down to the same thing though so the argument is purely semantic and completely pointless.

Its not about pigeon holing or compartmentalising. Retro gaming is very much a seperate past time from contemporary gaming and is as much about nostalgia, discussion of shared experience and appreciation of the whole evolutionary process of the games and games industry as well as the games themselves.

Most 'retro' titles are no longer available commercially or discussed on mainstream forums so there needs to be a seperate and dedicated platform for people who continue to appreciate outdated software and hardware hence the differentiation between contemporary and retro and the need to identify it as such.

For someone who's so forthcoming and aggressive with their opinion on a Retro gaming forum you seem incredibly ignorant of what the broader appeal of retro gaming actually is and you seem completely unable to appreciate or accept that its an interest that covers broad spectrums of people and ages all interested in different facets and aspects.

Why all the vitriol and petulance?, are you perhaps a refugee from IGN?.
i never hear of movies and such being labelled anything other than a movie, people use the word 'classic' to describe a certain film, book, album, even videogame, as a timeless piece of art not something of a certain age.

Using the term 'retro' does nothing to encourage others to embrace videogames which many would see as relics. Its just another way for people to try and seperate themselves away from the mainstream, a way to make themselves feel superior and hardcore, they then label their hobby to scare away outsiders. While they are in their small little group they laugh at those on the outside while labelling them with derogatory terms. Labelling yourself as a 'retrogamer' is no different to calling yourself a 'trekkie', or an 'emo', it does nothing to help people recognise the history of videogames in the same way as music, film, or literature.

Gaming still hasn't grown up, you play videogames whether thats on a mobile phone, or on a jap saturn, speccy or xbox your simply gaming and thus your a gamer, its just that others prefer different things, it doesn't make one form of gaming superior to the other. When i order a film from america i'm not an import watcher am i? i'm not retro watching when i watch 'life of brian' for the hundreth time? and i'm certainly not a mainstream watcher when i watch 'fast and the furious'. Shed these labels, who cares about being a mainstream gamer, arcade gamer, retrogamer, import gamer, or hardcore gamer, pointless wastful terms that do the image of the industry no good, we are all gamers full stop.
Still completely missing the point then?. Its not about labels, we are all gamers. But if I'm looking for older games I will look for 'retro' sites. I enjoy retro gaming (playing old games). Without some kind of descriptive association it would all be one enormous godawful shitty mess to navigate and find and discuss the content I'm interested in and people who enjoy the same things.

You yourself are proof of the need for Retro Gaming to exist in its own category, since you turn purple and bleed from the arse if anyone so much as mentions the words 8-bit and computer in the same sentence. Therefore I can look for a retro site where I know I will find people with a common interest who aren't going to try to abuse or flame me out of existence because I'm not a console fanboy and might actually want to talk about something that holds no interest for them.

Its nothing dangerous, its nothing subversive or evil, its simply a name for a group with a common interest, its got nothing to do with Elitism, cliques, or superiority, its not an exclusive community that looks down on 'outsiders' since we all for the most part still enjoy contemporary games, and new people are always invariably welcomed, its simple non specific terminology associated with the enjoyment of older software.

Perhaps I'm typing too quickly or would you prefer a visual aid?.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:42 pm

Of course 8-bit computers deserve respect.

Well, except the CPC of course.

paranoid marvin

Re:

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:54 pm

Dudley wrote:Of course 8-bit computers deserve respect.

I heard the Amstrad was a 2-bit computer
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

pantal00ns

Re:

Post by pantal00ns » Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:10 pm

FatTrucker wrote:
LoungeVamp wrote:The latin term Retro equates to "backward" or "behind"

Thus it's anything that's either a bit stupid or arse-like :D
Thats me covered on both counts then.
Perhaps I'm typing too quickly or would you prefer a visual aid?.

I hope the visual aid wont be a direct link to the latin term :wink:

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:20 am

I thought that we've talked about this before and agreed that 'retro' is whatever I say it is. I'm sure that we've already sorted it out
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re:

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:08 pm

revgiblet wrote:I thought that we've talked about this before and agreed that 'retro' is whatever I say it is. I'm sure that we've already sorted it out
No, it's whatever I SAY IT IS ;)

psj3809

Re: What is 'retro'?

Post by psj3809 » Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:16 pm

muse hunter wrote:many here believe that it has to be a sh!ttyy home computer to be retro but thats a load of b0llocks.
Dont start slagging off many peoples tastes in home computers and wind everyone up. Theyre not sh*tty whatsoever.

fredghostmaster

Post by fredghostmaster » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:21 am

It's quite simple. Anything up to and including 8 bit is retro. Amiga and Atari ST are not retro. And if Retro Gamer doesn't stop covering obscure SNES & Megadrive games then I'm afraid it will have lost a customer.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:25 am

See you :roll:

ST/Amiga ARE retro and I want to see RG start covering them a bit more.

pantal00ns

Re:

Post by pantal00ns » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:29 am

paranoid marvin wrote:
Dudley wrote:Of course 8-bit computers deserve respect.

I heard the Amstrad was a 2-bit computer

This is entirely true the one I picked up at the weekend had a keyboard and a monitor :wink:

Dudley

Re:

Post by Dudley » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:32 am

fredghostmaster wrote:It's quite simple. Anything up to and including 8 bit is retro. Amiga and Atari ST are not retro. And if Retro Gamer doesn't stop covering obscure SNES & Megadrive games then I'm afraid it will have lost a customer.
Don't let the door hit your arse on the way out.

Because we don't want your arse print on our lovely door.

psj3809

Re:

Post by psj3809 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:27 am

fredghostmaster wrote:It's quite simple. Anything up to and including 8 bit is retro. Amiga and Atari ST are not retro. And if Retro Gamer doesn't stop covering obscure SNES & Megadrive games then I'm afraid it will have lost a customer.
Are you serious ?!? I could understand if they featured a lot of N64 games or Playstation but SNES/Megadrive ? Theyre retro surely !!!! Nearly 15 years old !!

broton

Re:

Post by broton » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:27 am

Given that there is no concrete definition of "Retro" you are welcome to your opinion of what is retro - but I for one disagree, and enjoy reading about 16 bit games just as much as I do 8 bit ones.

Bye!