SEGA / Blaze Ultimate LCD portable with SD slot

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

MikeFishcake

Re: SEGA / Blaze Ultimate LCD portable with SD slot

Post by MikeFishcake » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:56 am

Awesome! Getting a PSP soon so don't have any need for that, but I'll be suer to pass on the recommendation to a couple of people I know...

Scooby1970

SEGA / Blaze Ultimate LCD portable with SD slot Review

Post by Scooby1970 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:37 pm

Ok, having spent the best part of 4 days with this little beast, I am going to let you know what I think with this review.

Build Quality
First off, it's about the same length and width as a glasses case (about 6inches by 2.5 inches), and about 1.5cm deep at the thickest part.It feels solid, and looks kinda cool in black with orange bits around the buttons and on the base and top of the machine. It has 6 buttons plus a start and menu button and a well nice directional controller for your left thumb. The buttons all respon well and they are a joy to use on all games.

The on/off switch is on the bottom right underside of the machine and there is the headset 3.5mm jack on the left side. On the top of the machine is the USB, tv-out, memory-card slot and volume control. The Blaze "Gopher" takes a standard SD card and will run and .bin files meant for the Megsdrive/Genisis. It's a breeze to add games, just place them in the "games" folder on the SD card and away to go!

The sceen quality is simply stunning for a low cost device, bright and sharp it makes games look really nice. It's 3inches in diameter which is an ideal size for a portable device. In all the games I have played there has been no ghosting or pixelation, and the games just look like crystal clear Megadrive games!

Emulation Quality: Graphics
For the most part, of the 300 odd games I have run through have looked really good on the Gopher. That said, there have so far been about 2% of games that have had very minor graphical glitches. These include some tearing-effect one the sides of the screen or part of the screen being replicated at the bottom of the screen. To be fair, I managed to clear a lot of these problems up by downloading different region games. Overall all though I am very impressed with the quality of the graphics and how they look on the screen.

Vector Man (1) has some serious graphical issues when playing through the levels that make it unplayable, however Vector Man 2 seems to work perfectly fine. I know there are some other games that suffer graphical problems, but I have yet to find them as I am too busy playing the games I love.

Emulation Quality: Sound
Now, before I start I need to say that for the most part I do not have the sound on when playing this machine and in the future I will not have the sound on much. Simply because I will be using it on the move and in work when I will be listening to music or doing something else.

So, for the games I have tried with the sound on, the sound is either more-or-less spot on (like Streets Of Rage/Golden Axe/Sonic Series of games), or pretty average; mostly, either the music in the games will be spot on with bad sound effects or vice versa. It's not something that bothers me too much as it doesn't really distract me from the gameplay, but it is worth pointing out that some games may sound a bit wrong.

Emualtion Quality: General Compatability
Overall 99.9% of games I have tried have worked, and if they didn't work I simply downloaded a rom from another source to get them working. Games play full speed and run very smoothly. There are some games with 6-button problems, so-far I have found only Ms Pacman and one of the Fifa games, but there is such an amount of games for the Megadrive that this is not really a problem.

Overall impressions
If you're after a megadrive emulator machine with an 8+hour battery life, brilliant screen, SD card for unlimited games and light enough to take anywhere with you then this really does fill that role. It's not perfect by any means, but with hundreds of games working perfectly fine on it, I don't think it matters.

It comes with 20 built in games, which are a nice selection, but its the SD card that is the real draw here. One note though, I had to use an SD Card adaptor to USB to attach to my PC as the Gopher did not show up on my machine. Again, not a problem as adaptors are £1 or less in most places!

In work, my staff have been using it today on their breaks and they have all enjoyed it. No-one has had any problems with the control or the pick-up and play nature of the Gopher. The interface is simple to use, and I didn't have to explain it to anyone, which is always a plus in my books.

If you've got a spare £40 and love the Megadrive, I think it's a bargain (and I know it's gonna get a lot more use than my PSP now gets!)

:) Mark
http://twitter.com/markyboyo
PS3, 360, PS2, PS1, PSP, Wii, DC, Saturn, Megadrive, GBA, DS & more!

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:00 pm

Some of these look pretty cool. I like the idea of the SD slot so long as the emulation is 100% and the screen is of good quality with 1:1 pixel ration without too much motion blur, and if it has a decent D-pad. Hmmmm that's way too many variables and something is bound to be "off", on second thought I think I'll just stick with what I have. But it' cool nonetheless.

delbert_trout

Post by delbert_trout » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:08 pm

Thanks for the interesting review mate. I'm particularly impressed with the bit about the 8-hour battery life, speaking as a GP2X owner!! Whilst that's a great piece of kit, I literally don't tend to get more than a couple of games out of it before it's eaten all the battery in no time at all. Based on your great feedback I think I'd more than likely blow out for one of these if I hadn't bought myself the GP2X a few years back.
http://www.retrogamer.net/user/delbert_trout

When you think you've got problems you don't really need,
They're maybe not as bad as they seem,
Cos in a world full of misery, with hatred and greed,
Your problems are another man's dream.

Chris

Post by Chris » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:45 pm

Thanks for the review, glad to hear the machine is pretty good because I asked for one for Christmas :wink:

chewy

Post by chewy » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:44 pm

On the Dingoo subject, has anyone seen this:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.47741
Currently awaiting mine. Should be a couple days.

sebadude

Post by sebadude » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:58 am

Does the Blaze megadrive have any capacity for a second player port, via a megadrive pad / USB or otherwise?

Igorthegreen

Post by Igorthegreen » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:03 pm

Cheers for the review!
Join my '8-BIT KIDS' book Kickstarter at http://tinyurl.com/c64club

siamesegiant

Post by siamesegiant » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:20 pm

Just a word of warning, there's no save state function on this, so if you're planning on playing anything for a long period of time you're out of luck. Other than that it's pretty awesome though.

crumpta1632

Post by crumpta1632 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:42 am

siamesegiant wrote:Just a word of warning, there's no save state function on this, so if you're planning on playing anything for a long period of time you're out of luck. Other than that it's pretty awesome though.
Ouch, that is pretty bad, do you know if games with built in save functionallity work (such as Shining Force) or does it just not let you save anything?

If the in-game saving does work then I will most certainly get one... If not, then I wont.

Chris

Post by Chris » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:38 am

crumpta1632 wrote:
siamesegiant wrote:Just a word of warning, there's no save state function on this, so if you're planning on playing anything for a long period of time you're out of luck. Other than that it's pretty awesome though.
Ouch, that is pretty bad, do you know if games with built in save functionallity work (such as Shining Force) or does it just not let you save anything?

If the in-game saving does work then I will most certainly get one... If not, then I wont.
In game saving doesn't work, tried YS III and Soleil but they didn't have the save when I reloaded the game.

Frank Chickens

Post by Frank Chickens » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:05 pm

chewy wrote:On the Dingoo subject, has anyone seen this:
When it does arrive could you let us know it is like? I've always been interested in the Dingoo product range but was never keen on the general lack of support for it by the manufacturer.
"A cynic is what an optimist calls a realist"

siamesegiant

Post by siamesegiant » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:45 pm

Frank Chickens wrote:
chewy wrote:On the Dingoo subject, has anyone seen this:
When it does arrive could you let us know it is like? I've always been interested in the Dingoo product range but was never keen on the general lack of support for it by the manufacturer.
The Dingoo's pretty good. The pre-installed emulators run Megadrive, NES and Gba games just about perfectly. The CPS1/2 emulators seem to be good too. The Snes emulator is pretty choppy, and won't display text correctly in a couple of games (Secret of Mana comes to mind). The Neo Geo emulator on my Dingoo wouldn't scale sprites properly, and although I believe this is only a problem with models with certain serial numbers, it isn't fixable and renders certain games near unplayable.

However, with a bit messing around you can change the emulators, and get it running anything pre ps1 to a good standard. There's a pretty helpful online community kicking around (I'm a total luddite when it comes to this stuff) so getting the thing running how you want isn't too much of a stretch. You'd be wanting Dingux, which is an improvement on the native OS; without it you're stuck with the preinstalled emulators. The only other concern is the battery life, which does seem very short.

Frank Chickens

Post by Frank Chickens » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:24 am

siamesegiant wrote: The Dingoo's pretty good. The pre-installed emulators run Megadrive, NES and Gba games just about perfectly. The CPS1/2 emulators seem to be good too. The Snes emulator is pretty choppy, and won't display text correctly in a couple of games (Secret of Mana comes to mind). The Neo Geo emulator on my Dingoo wouldn't scale sprites properly, and although I believe this is only a problem with models with certain serial numbers, it isn't fixable and renders certain games near unplayable.

However, with a bit messing around you can change the emulators, and get it running anything pre ps1 to a good standard. There's a pretty helpful online community kicking around (I'm a total luddite when it comes to this stuff) so getting the thing running how you want isn't too much of a stretch. You'd be wanting Dingux, which is an improvement on the native OS; without it you're stuck with the preinstalled emulators. The only other concern is the battery life, which does seem very short.
Thanks for the reply siamesegiant. My PSP has definitely seen better days and am looking for a replace and this seems to be offer a lot for the money.
"A cynic is what an optimist calls a realist"

the_hawk

Re: SEGA / Blaze Ultimate LCD portable with SD slot Review

Post by the_hawk » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:28 am

Scooby1970 wrote:Ok, having spent the best part of 4 days with this little beast, I am going to let you know what I think with this review.
Cheers for that extensive review, I'm so tempted to get one of these. Only £29.91 in Amazon now, Three 5 star reviews to boot. :?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-Portab ... B0044LQC12
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue