What was the best third party controller you owned.....

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Randall Flagg

What was the best third party controller you owned.....

Post by Randall Flagg » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:59 pm

I raised this subject because i remember getting a 3rd party game pad for my amiga 1200 when cgame pads started to take over from quickshot/other 3rd party controllers.

I had a gravis game pad which had a D-Pad and 4 fire buttons.

The genious of this gamepad was that the D-Pad had a screw in joystick that you could attach to the D-Pad and have a digital joystick instead.

It was the most responsive joystick ever and added an extra dimension to the general game pads around.

I also had a megadrive joypad that I used on my amiga although the diagonal movement was a bit dodgy....
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:11 pm

You can't really call them 3rd party I guess, but the Japanese Saturn pads were absolutely awesome. Other than this, I had a Quickshot SG Pro (I think) for my MD, which was pretty decent.

CrookedMouth

Post by CrookedMouth » Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:02 am

My best controller ever, was on the c-64/amiga 500, it wasn't a gamepad it was a joystick. the Konix Epyx 500XJ Joystick. It was ultra durable and very precise. I wish I still had it. I used it to play this awsome galaga style invasion game called Vyper, just like a dream.

P-Head

Post by P-Head » Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:03 am

I had an absolutely massive flight stick (arf) with built in throttle control. I can't remember who it was made by, but I thought it was the nuts. Might go in the loft later and see if it's still there.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:03 am

ANY mouse other than the standard ST/Amiga efforts
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

M.A.G

Post by M.A.G » Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:05 am

The SN Pro Pad for the Snes is IMO, the best third party pad ever made. It gave the official pad a run for its money. A very, very good pad.
"the forum is populated by idiots, and poorly moderated"

StarEye

Post by StarEye » Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:18 pm

Is it right to call controllers thirdparty controllers when there's no official one? Like the Amiga and C64, there were no official controllers, and none of the machines came with one.

But the Xbox has one fantastic controller, Neo S Wireless. I think it's a lot better than any of the official ones.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:49 pm

Every third party controller I have used is rubbish... poorly designed to rip off the the real thing and poorly built so it lasts half as long.

I learnt a long time ago never to trust any third party cheap, nasty pap...

paranoid marvin

Re:

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:23 pm

StarEye wrote:Is it right to call controllers thirdparty controllers when there's no official one? Like the Amiga and C64, there were no official controllers, and none of the machines came with one.

But the Xbox has one fantastic controller, Neo S Wireless. I think it's a lot better than any of the official ones.
C64 came with a 2600 type controller (which was crap)
Amiga with a square mouse (which was worse than crap)
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

planetmatt

Post by planetmatt » Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:14 pm

This ASCI stick for the PS1 was great:

Dark Reaper

Re:

Post by Dark Reaper » Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:44 pm

StarEye wrote:Is it right to call controllers thirdparty controllers when there's no official one? Like the Amiga and C64, there were no official controllers, and none of the machines came with one.

The later model C64 came with the same joysticks as the C64GS (basically a cheaper version of the Cheetah 125+). The leaf switches generally melted after 5 minutes use & then the stick fell apart. :D

CrookedMouth

Re:

Post by CrookedMouth » Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:31 pm

I thought of third party as just meaning, not made by the company that made the system. Commodore made joysticks and mice so I thought my konix fit in with third party. Plus it worked fine with the Atari2600 and ColecoVision(with adapter) which did have "official" controllers.

heres a Commodore stick and paddle