Obscure GBA games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
Smurph
Posts: 2905
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:18 pm
Location: Co. Antrim
Contact:

Obscure GBA games

Post by Smurph » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:47 am

I've checked the recommendations thread, and there's not too many GBA games recommended (it became a bit of a flash card discussion), so I'm looking for something a bit out of the ordinary. After bitGenerations: Dotstream being mentioned in this issue of RG, I checked it out, and it's excellently different, if initially confusing. I'll be checking out the rest of the bit Generation stuff (especially Dialhex and Soundvoyager, which look to be great fun), but any recommendations for more strange/obscure stuff that's worth playing?

Cheers!
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

Morkin
Posts: 2679
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:37 am

Re: Obscure GBA games

Post by Morkin » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:14 am

I can't think of many obscure games save for maybe: Car Battler Joe, Guru Logic Champ, Koro Koro Puzzle Happy Panechu. I spent a lot of time on both Klonoa GBA platformers & really enjoyed them & Polarium Advance is great fun also. Hamtaro Ham Ham Heartbreak was a very guilty pleasure... :oops:

User avatar
Roo
Posts: 2044
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:29 am

Re: Obscure GBA games

Post by Roo » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:20 am

No one seems to remember Hot Potato!, but it's actually rather good. It's sort of like Bust-A-Move meets a vertical shooter, but without the sales figures of Bust-A-Move. Or even your average-joe vertical shooter, come to think of it. Still, I like it, and here you can have a swatch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGakF-_I ... re=related . Sadly, that's the best video on YouTube.
Image

User avatar
Edwards80
Posts: 534
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:41 am
Location: Stockport, UK

Re: Obscure GBA games

Post by Edwards80 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:40 am

Not sure if it counts as what you are looking for, but QWAK for the GBA is pretty obscure. There were only 300 carts made. . . I was lucky enough to get the last one :D

http://www.qwak.co.uk/pages/gba/

User avatar
Matt_B
Posts: 5529
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:30 am
Location: 5 minutes from the beach, 30 seconds from the pub

Re: Obscure GBA games

Post by Matt_B » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:18 am

Rebelstar Tactical Command is a must have.

Indeed it's the only GBA game I still play on the DS.

User avatar
Smurph
Posts: 2905
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:18 pm
Location: Co. Antrim
Contact:

Re: Obscure GBA games

Post by Smurph » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:21 am

Guru Logic Champ, Koro Koro Puzzle Happy Panechu and Hot Potato look like fun, I'll see what's what with them. Cheers guys (more please!)
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

User avatar
RMLF
Posts: 3210
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:54 am
Location: Lost in the Ether

Re: Obscure GBA games

Post by RMLF » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:26 am

I could say Pinky and the Brain: The Master Plan this is alzo obscure.
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

Morkin
Posts: 2679
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:37 am

Re: Obscure GBA games

Post by Morkin » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:14 am

How about Go! Go! Beckham, although I'm not sure if it could be classed as obscure.

User avatar
nokgod
Posts: 9627
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:57 pm
Location: The Blackcountry

Re: Obscure GBA games

Post by nokgod » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:10 pm

how about Kuru Kuru Kururin?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78eHxHYUmJs
Image
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

User avatar
Guybrush
Posts: 954
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:40 am
Location: Harrogate

Re: Obscure GBA games

Post by Guybrush » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:43 pm

Edwards80 wrote:Not sure if it counts as what you are looking for, but QWAK for the GBA is pretty obscure. There were only 300 carts made. . . I was lucky enough to get the last one :D

http://www.qwak.co.uk/pages/gba/

Great game, and thanks to nokgod I even have a box for it! ;)

User avatar
Gren
Posts: 212
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:32 pm
Location: Holmfirth

Re: Obscure GBA games

Post by Gren » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:05 pm

nokgod wrote:how about Kuru Kuru Kururin?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78eHxHYUmJs
Don't think this is obscure - I'm pretty sure I picked it up as a launch title with my GBA in 2001.

Great fun though, and certainly a GBA classic :D
Fresh Spoo?

User avatar
nokgod
Posts: 9627
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:57 pm
Location: The Blackcountry

Re: Obscure GBA games

Post by nokgod » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:47 pm

Gren wrote:
nokgod wrote:how about Kuru Kuru Kururin?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78eHxHYUmJs
Don't think this is obscure - I'm pretty sure I picked it up as a launch title with my GBA in 2001.

Great fun though, and certainly a GBA classic :D
it might not be ...but i only discovered it last year :lol:
Image
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

PresidentLeever
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Obscure GBA games

Post by PresidentLeever » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:43 pm

Perhaps not obscure, but I have to recommend Mother 3. One of the best game experiences I've had in recent years.

User avatar
Shinobi
Posts: 7639
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:33 am
Location: The Pride Lands

Re: Obscure GBA games

Post by Shinobi » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:02 pm

What about Metal Gun Slinger its a wild West Metal Slug but the bosses are Angels and Giant pairs of Eye's

I remember a Love Hina game I quite enjoyed, it reminded me of the Commodore 64 Law of the West style of play three options choose one
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

User avatar
TwoHeadedBoy
Posts: 9028
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:55 am
Location: Liverpool
Contact:

Re: Obscure GBA games

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:06 pm

Roo wrote:No one seems to remember Hot Potato!, but it's actually rather good. It's sort of like Bust-A-Move meets a vertical shooter, but without the sales figures of Bust-A-Move. Or even your average-joe vertical shooter, come to think of it. Still, I like it, and here you can have a swatch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGakF-_I ... re=related . Sadly, that's the best video on YouTube.
Love that to bits, it was the first GBA game I ever played :D

How about Godzilla Domination? It plays like King Of The Monsters, only slightly more forgiving and with properly licensed monsters.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests