The Wii Collecting Thread!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Rayne

The Wii Collecting Thread!

Post by Rayne » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:24 am

Assuming there isn't one already :|

Anyways! When it comes to obscure/niche titles this generation I don't think any home console offers more than the Wii, that's the prime reason why it gets the most gametime from me. I'm now running around trying to collect as many games for it as I can, the temptation to blow a hellish ammount of money is huge!

What games are you after? What have you got? Sound off and tempt us all to hunt some of these more obscure titles down ;)

ShadowMan

Re: The Wii Collecting Thread!

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:30 am

I really need to get round to getting Sin and Punishment 2 and Metroid Other M. Saying that I still have Prime 3 sitting on my shelf unplayed so I really want to complete that first before going after Other M.
I'm still holding out on Silent Hill as I'd rather not spend over £12-£15 to get it (yep, I'm that cheap!). I think its probably due for another price drop soon...
I'll probably pick up Batman Brave and the Bold sometime since it looks really nice, might wait for it to come down cheaper first though...

Not so much an obscure item but my joint favourite Wii game is probably the original Tatsunoko Vs Capcom. The localised version is in one sense better for the content (more characters) but I like keeping the original around since it has 1 character that never made it into the localised version (the weird Genie thing from the Tatsunoko side), I prefer the character specific soundtrack and I quite like that each character got their own mini game (all removed from the localised version)
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:56 am

Surely we've done these threads to death. There are f*ck all obscure titles on wii, everything that would get more than 4 out of 10 has been well documented in any discussion that involves the wii.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:59 am

This probably isn't all of them but I've got
De Blob
Bleach : Shattered Blade
Batman TBATB
Gunblade NY & LA Machine Guns
Links Crossbow Training
Wii Sports
Wii Play
Wii Music
Madworld
No More Heroes
Samba De Amigo
Tatsunoko V Capcom
Blastworks
Metal Slug Anthology
HOTD 2 & 3
Punch Out
Wario Smooth Moves
Mario & Sonic At The Olympic Games
Boom Blox
Donkey Kong Jungle Beat

I wouldn't mind giving Monster Hunter Tri a go and possibly Sin & Punishment 2, although the first one didn't really do anything for me.
Splink!

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:08 am

Fightersmegamix wrote:Surely we've done these threads to death. There are f*ck all obscure titles on wii, everything that would get more than 4 out of 10 has been well documented in any discussion that involves the wii.
Compare the likes of Lost In Blue Shipwrecked & Rune Factory Frontier to the likes of Call Of Duty & Killzone. If you're that moody about it, just don't post in the thread, sheesh :lol:

Monster Hunter Tri is amazing, it's literally an MMORPG without the MMO, so brilliant for me! I poured about 43 hours into it before the difficulty got too high for me :oops: Just questing with friends is super fun though :D and the CCPro controls are pitch perfect.

Sin & Punishment 2 I'm having a lot of fun with, well worth £25. Friggin hard though :( even on the easiest setting I'm struggling :oops:

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:02 am

Rayne wrote:Compare the likes of Lost In Blue Shipwrecked & Rune Factory Frontier to the likes of Call Of Duty & Killzone. If you're that moody about it, just don't post in the thread, sheesh :lol:
Why would I want to compare those games? Admittedly I was a little harsh, but there are lots of wii game threads.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:23 am

I'm trying to say the Wii is host to the kind of japanese & niche games that won't find release on the other systems. Which is why it's an interesting platform to talk about :) I wasn't sure if there was a general thread for it or not (search turned up nothing for me)

thesubcon3

Post by thesubcon3 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:49 am

I would say besides for your standard Nintendo fare of Mario, Metriod and Zelda here is my list of interesting wii games that I will eventually collect.

MadWorld
No More Heroes
No More Heroes 2
Okami (So much better with motion controls)
deBlob (So addicting!)
House of the Dead 2 & 3
House of the Dead Overkill
Sin and Punishment 2
Ultimate Shooter Collection
Tatsunoko vs Capcom
Muramasa: The Demon Blade
Monster Hunter Tri
Dead Rising Chop Til You Drop
Nights Journey of Dreams

killbot

Post by killbot » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:04 am

My collection currently contains:

Alone In The Dark,
Band Hero,
Beatles Rock Band,
Boom Blox,
Bully: Scholarship Edition,
Bust A Move,
Cooking Mama,
de Blob,
Dewy's Adventure,
Eledees,
Far Cry Vengeance,
FIFA 08,
Geometry Wars Galaxies,
Ghost Squad,
Guitar Hero III,
Guitar Hero World Tour,
Lego Batman,
Lego Harry Potter,
Lego Indiana Jones,
Little King's Story,
Madden 07,
MadWorld,
Mario & Sonic At The Olympic Winter Games,
Mario Kart Wii,
Metal Slug Anthology,
Metroid Prime 3,
Monopoly,
New Super Mario Bros. Wii,
No More Heroes,
Pro Evolution 2008,
Red Steel,
SNK Arcade Classics Vol. 1,
Super Mario Galaxy,
Super Paper Mario,
Warioware: Smooth Moves,
Wii Fit,
Wii Play,
Wii Sports,
Zack & Wiki.

I'm hoping to get the following when my bank balance allows:

Dead Space Extraction,
Tomb Raider Anniversary,
Tomb Raider Underworld,
Muramasa,
Sin & Punishment 2,
Mario Galaxy 2,
Mario & Sonic At The Olympic Games,
The Conduit,
F1 2009,
Metroid: Other M,
Okami.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:20 am

Well I don't have many titles as I (idiotically) sold them all a while ago:

Baroque
Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon
Harvest Moon: Magical Melody
Legend of Sayuki
Link's Crossbow Training
Madworld
Metal Slug Anthology
Muramasa the Demon Blade
Okami
Puzzle Quest Challenge of the Warlords
Resdient Evil: The Darkside Chronicles
Rune Factory Frontier
Sakura Wars: So Long My Love
Sin & Punishment 2
Super Paper Mario somethingorother
Tatsunoko vs Capcom
The Sky Crawlers: Innocent Aces
Trauma Centre: Second Opinion
Wii Sports & Wii Sports Resort

I've got a few awaiting delivery now :D and chances are I'll pick up the Metroid Trilogy sometime next week

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:23 am

i've got a jap wii and castle Shikigami III, don't think i'll be adding to that anytime soon.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:34 am

There are tons of niche games on Wii, it has way more Japanese games than PS3/360. Just just gotta hunt them out and do a bit of research, it's all good fun.

I'll recommend Endless Ocean 2, amazing game and well deserving of it's 36/40 score in Famitsu. 8)

Ghostbusters is awesome too, better than PS3/360 version by quite some margin imho.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:00 pm

How is Endless Ocean 2 different to the first? I'll be honest, I got the first and didn't really 'get' it :?

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:04 pm

I didn't like the first game either, Endless Ocean 2 is only about a million times better. It's still a sedate experience but it's not boring like the first game. Now we have sharks and other sea creatures that are a threat, it does the atmosphere just perfect. I also believe it is the game which pushes the Wii hardest, some amazing graphics in this game.

There's just so may more things to do, it's just a well rounded game compare to the first. You are looking at 150+ hours of gameplay to do everything. It's just brilliant if you get into it. If you want niche you must try it.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:27 pm

I got Endless Ocean as a rental and felt a bit let down by it. I was rather hoping that it'd be like a modern day Scuba Dive, where you could just jump in the water and go as far as your imagination and skill could take you, but it's just far too structured. I especially disliked the way I'd keep bumping into invisible walls because I was trying to explore some area that hadn't opened up yet. Also, identifying fish by petting them seemed a bit weird to me; I always thought that "look, but don't touch" was the first rule of diving with marine life.

I suppose it's well done for what it is though, and well worth a look if you're after something different.