Stranger's Wrath/Good & Evil

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Crunchy

Stranger's Wrath/Good & Evil

Post by Crunchy » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:54 pm

So, hot on the heels of Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath we now find that Beyond Good & Evil is also coming to PSN/XBLA. And apparently there's more of this sort of thing to come.

Suddenly all that ire we've directed at the likes of EA for the franchise milking and "sequelitis" over the years looks a bit overdone, because what we're seeing now is certain elements in the software industry not even trying to produce anything remotely new and instead just slapping their old commercial failures of the previous gen straight onto the current gen and everybody seems to think it's all rather super.

Great days.

OldSkoolCoolFool

Re: Stranger's Wrath/Good & Evil

Post by OldSkoolCoolFool » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:43 pm

Regardless of them being deemed commercial failures they are regarded by many as great games. I never actually bought Beyond Good & Evil and wouldn't mind getting it, Strangers Wrath doesn't work on my 360 so i think its a good thing.
Jagfest_UK wrote:Looks like your use of the letter T made your trousers fall down :wink:

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:06 pm

Attention to the older games that were highly praised yet commercial failures can only be a good thing. They'll find a new fanbase, a new source of revenue and maybe a new sequel :)

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:03 pm

Crunchy wrote:Suddenly all that ire we've directed at the likes of EA for the franchise milking and "sequelitis" over the years looks a bit overdone, because what we're seeing now is certain elements in the software industry not even trying to produce anything remotely new and instead just slapping their old commercial failures of the previous gen straight onto the current gen and everybody seems to think it's all rather super.
Not me. I bought Stranger's Wrath shortly after it first launched and finished it...well...a good few years back now. Beyond Good and Evil I bought preowned on the PS2 from somebody on here (can't remember who now) a couple of years back for £1.50 I think it was? Anyways, I've also played that to death and done with it now.

So even though I thought they were both great games, I want a completely new Oddworld game and a proper sequel to Beyond Good and Evil, or I'm not interested, thanks. I think it's as lazy as any of the franchise milking that EA have done in the past. :(
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

deadpan666

Post by deadpan666 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:53 pm

I think it's quite a good thing that they are doing re-releases, because it will let more people experience the games and help garner interest for sequels....

Oh, and hello by the way....finally decided to post on the Retrogamer forums after having an account for ages.... :mrgreen:
Cinema Of Stuff Presents - The Undying Monster! http://tinyurl.com/nekrjdx

Let's go, Mr. Driver!

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:38 am

Not the 1st time older games been tarted up, given a next gen.make up and re-released is it though? BallBlazer, Viewpoint etc appeared on Playstation, Dropzone became Super for it`s Snes and PS releases.If it means more people get to play great games, personally all for it.