If you could chose one retro handheld...

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Morkin

Re:

Post by Morkin » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:43 am

Adamski wrote:There can be only one ...GBA...One of the main reasons is that it gives you some idea of what Nintendo might have done had they not skipped a generation during the 32bit days.Also again for its huge back catalogue but if I were to pick a real standout game or series of games it would be Super Robot Wars games.6 in total on GBA and all of them supreme quality.Faultless.

Im a TRPG fan myself and the GBA has an excellent repetoire if you look for these games.Theres the ones I mentioned,SRW.Then there are Fire Emblem,Tactics Ogre,Final Fantasy Tactics,Rebelstar,SD Gundam G Generation and not forgetting Advance wars for pure turn based strategy.Plus a few more that have slipped my mind,oh yeah ZOE Fist of Mars.Then not forgetting all the Straight RPGs it has.

Its GBA all the way for me.If I were to pick another atm I would also go for Wonderswan because again there are 4 SRW games and a certain Langrisser SRPG game.Its the diversity aswell though with GBA and Wonderswan my retro handhelds of choice.

I'll be getting a DS though soon because it looks like that will be the new home of Turnbased strategy and TRPG for handheld thrills we've already got Advance wars.There's SD Gundam Strategy in Japan,Fire Emblem Im sure,and there are rumours abound that there's going to be a Tactics Ogre and Ogre Battle for this machine aswell.DS modern Handheld of choice.
Yep, I'd agree with that. However...forgive the daft question, but how easy is it to play those games that only get a Japanese release without having a knowledge of the Japanese language ? I'd imagine they'd be pretty darn hard. :?

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:53 am

I'd ask the same question. I'm kind of neurotic and if the game wasn't in English and I hadn't read the instructions I'd be paranoid that I was missing out on something very important.

Also, with RPG's I like to be able to understand the story - cliched as most of them are.

However, it looks like Nintendo is winning the battle for my handheld heart at the moment. Still looking though...

Frank Chickens

Post by Frank Chickens » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:25 pm

Scramble, fantastic conversion of the arcade game and the maze level was a superb original inclusion.

Oh, you meant mult-game handhelds? Never had any interest in the GB range, but I do kick myself for not buying a Nomad for $100 (£65 at the time) in a Florida Toys r Us whilst on holidy in America.

On the whole it has to be the PSP as it's an excellent replacement for my N-Gage when it comes to to portable emulation.
"A cynic is what an optimist calls a realist"

GenkiVideoGames.com

Post by GenkiVideoGames.com » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:28 pm

If you could choose just one handheld...to scare off an Alien it would have to be the WonderSwan with its crazy WonderBorg attachment. I wish I could have seen the reaction playing with that mad little critter on the commute to work... :) It'd also get high marks for the name alone.
But I'd personally have to probably go for the NGPC with Metal Slug 2, closely beaten off a Lynx with APB. Happy days busting dopers! :D

forestville

Post by forestville » Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:47 pm

For me it's the Nintendo game watch series, the one I had was Donkey Kong Junior, i played on it when i had a game loading into my zx spectrum+2 (from tape took ages)
8)
Press play on tape

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:08 pm

Why's no-one mentioned the Virtual Boy yet? :wink:
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Spiff

Post by Spiff » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:29 am

Because it's not a handheld.

Zumafire

Post by Zumafire » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:46 am

My Avatar tells you what I'd choose. The Game Gear has a ton of titles that you can find real cheap!! You'll find a few rpgs, puzzle games, racing titles and platformers. The GG will even play Master System games with the MS converter. It is a little hard to find one with a screen that's not all scratched up. I would also recomend that you find a Re-chargeble battery pak. Thosea suckas take 6 AAs and only last around 3 hours.

I would also say check out the Lynx but the games are getting harder to find. There are about 20 titles that I see around a lot. But other than that you'll have to resort to on-line shopping and that can be expensive.

The NGPC is a great system but the same thing applies. You'll eventually run out of titles that are easy to find.

Unless you're a collector I wouldn't mess with any of those. The Gameboy Advance is real cheap used, it has long battery life and a nice small size that fits in your hand well. You'll have over 600 games that you can play and their still pumping games out. (New Gunstar Heroes anyone!). The selection is sick.. If you get a regular advance....just make sure you get a worm light or something. You want to play it in the dark right?

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:52 am

PSP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

Zumafire

Post by Zumafire » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:56 am

Yeah but he said cheap Handheld.... PSP is not cheap.... I'd have to sell a finger to get that thing.. Well it's not that expensive but it isn't cheap..

Randall Flagg

Re:

Post by Randall Flagg » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:59 am

Zumafire wrote:Yeah but he said cheap Handheld.... PSP is not cheap.... I'd have to sell a finger to get that thing.. Well it's not that expensive but it isn't cheap..
Ah, erm....... Well, I'm pretty cheap, does that count....And besides, The PSP is more than just a handheld console, thanx to the Miracle of emulation its 100 consoles, handhelds and home computers in one (yes, I work for Sony)
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

Zumafire

Post by Zumafire » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:08 am

Yeah, well thats sort of beyond me... Maybe I should get in the know...

Maybe you can update your website and show us how in the hell that works!! :P

Sounds like it might be worth my time..

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:19 am

If anyone's still interested I made my decision...

I gone a bit crazy on eBay over the past couple of days and bought a Neo Geo Pocket Color and some mental-looking Japanese fruit machine game (think it's called 'Big Firework' or something), boxed copies of Capcom Cardfghter Clash and Puzzle Bobble and loose copies of Sonic and Faselei.

I paid about £75 for the lot which is a bit more than I expected to spend (and probably a bit more than I should as I used 'Buy it Now' on a couple of items) but I'm pretty happy with this retro set-up. Should give me plenty to be getting on with. Also means that when I'm browsing eBay I have another category to be tempted by.

Now I just have to explain to the wife that you can't play Super Mario Land on it and all will be well...
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian