If you could chose one retro handheld...

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Kaptain_Von

Post by Kaptain_Von » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:11 am

If I was staying purely retro then I would go for a Gamegear with a Master System converter. The only problems being the battery life and the tendency for the speakers to go 'phut'. With all the Master System games available it means it has a pretty good range of games.

However, if it was just a handheld that could play retro games then my GP32 would be first choice as so many systems would be available. There's something quite satisfying about being able to fire up the PC-Engine version of R-Type followed by the Spectrum version of Commando whilst on the train.
Cue the music, fade to black...
----------------------------------------------------------
http://kaptainskonfessions.blogspot.com/

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:28 am

I'd agree with Koops on the Atari Lynx being the best RETRO handheld.

But for overall use with retro games - I agree with all of you that said GP32. Although mine was stolen from me around 6 months ago :cry:

Will get the new GPX2 as soon as they solve the problems.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:47 am

Veering slightly o/t, but just how easy is a GP32/GPX2 to use for a person who is pretty useless when it comes to tech stuff ? :?

LeeT

Re:

Post by LeeT » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:42 am

Morkin wrote:Veering slightly o/t, but just how easy is a GP32/GPX2 to use for a person who is pretty useless when it comes to tech stuff ? :?
Well I'm not a techie person and I managed to figure it out. Its fairly starightforward to transfer stuff from the pc to the GP32 as well - It just uses one program and a few minutes.

kaiserpc

Post by kaiserpc » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:42 am

yep, I'll third the call for a GP32 (or a GP2X if you want to wait for more emulators to be come available incl. ps1)

I have had a gp32 for a couple of years now - great little handheld that'll play anything up to and including an Atari ST.

As for setting it up, it's not completely obvious to start with, but you will soon get the hang of it.

I'll probably ditch my gp32 for a gp2x eventually (especially if they get ps1 and exult working)

Spiff

Post by Spiff » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:46 am

I'm tempted by a GP2X now!!

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:31 am

Yes, I've seen the GP32 advertised and thought it looked cool. PS1 emulation on a handheld would rock. Final Fantasy VII on the train? Yes please!

However, I was really looking for something cheap and cheerful. I've been outbid on eBay a few times on NGPCs, so might look at a Gameboy Color. Even cheaper and plenty of cheap but great games to play.

Spiff

Post by Spiff » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:32 am

Between a GBC and a NGPC I'd go for the latter... despite the former having a huge catalogue due to original GB compatability.

DZ_1984

Re:

Post by DZ_1984 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:45 pm

Sureshot wrote:I would go with a Gameboy Light. I used to have one of these and they're bloody great, particularly if you wanted something pre-GBA/GBC. Can't really fault the GB catalogue too much either.
Are these easy to come by? I thought they were Japanese only?

Anyway, if you want something pre-GBA; get a Gameboy Color. There are sooo many decent GB/GBC games its untrue!

However, if you find one cheap, get a GBA SP, because you can play all the old games with the glory of a back-lit screen!

And, ofcourse, you have the option to play GBA games too; I'm playing Final Fantasy Tactics again; it's awesom!!

CraigGrannell

Re:

Post by CraigGrannell » Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:03 pm

DZ_1984 wrote:However, if you find one cheap, get a GBA SP, because you can play all the old games with the glory of a back-lit screen!
It worth bearing in mind that older SPs are front-lit rather than back-lit.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Danny

Post by Danny » Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:21 pm

www.play-asia.com has a very good selection of loose NGPC games and for a good price to. SNK vs Capcom Card Clash is going there for £7 in English to and SNK vs Capcom Fighting game for the system cost's only £12 while a link up cable there only costs £2 :D

Also if you look hard enough on ebay or in the high street you can find new NGPC's with 6 decent games (metal slug first mission, KOF 2nd, Samurai Shodown II pocket etc etc) for £35 which is a good price for such a nifty bit of kit.

Dudley

Re:

Post by Dudley » Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:28 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:
DZ_1984 wrote:However, if you find one cheap, get a GBA SP, because you can play all the old games with the glory of a back-lit screen!
It worth bearing in mind that older SPs are front-lit rather than back-lit.
Although to be fair, in 99% of conditions, including complete dark, the front lit SP is perfectly good.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

CraigGrannell

Re:

Post by CraigGrannell » Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:27 pm

Dudley wrote:Although to be fair, in 99% of conditions, including complete dark, the front lit SP is perfectly good.
Oh, I agree—my own SP is one of the front-lit ones. I just mentioned the "lighting" thing in case someone wasn't aware of it.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Adamski

Post by Adamski » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:08 am

There can be only one ...GBA...One of the main reasons is that it gives you some idea of what Nintendo might have done had they not skipped a generation during the 32bit days.Also again for its huge back catalogue but if I were to pick a real standout game or series of games it would be Super Robot Wars games.6 in total on GBA and all of them supreme quality.Faultless.

Im a TRPG fan myself and the GBA has an excellent repetoire if you look for these games.Theres the ones I mentioned,SRW.Then there are Fire Emblem,Tactics Ogre,Final Fantasy Tactics,Rebelstar,SD Gundam G Generation and not forgetting Advance wars for pure turn based strategy.Plus a few more that have slipped my mind,oh yeah ZOE Fist of Mars.Then not forgetting all the Straight RPGs it has.

Its GBA all the way for me.If I were to pick another atm I would also go for Wonderswan because again there are 4 SRW games and a certain Langrisser SRPG game.Its the diversity aswell though with GBA and Wonderswan my retro handhelds of choice.

I'll be getting a DS though soon because it looks like that will be the new home of Turnbased strategy and TRPG for handheld thrills we've already got Advance wars.There's SD Gundam Strategy in Japan,Fire Emblem Im sure,and there are rumours abound that there's going to be a Tactics Ogre and Ogre Battle for this machine aswell.DS modern Handheld of choice.

Get_in_Gear

Re: If you could chose one retro handheld...

Post by Get_in_Gear » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:49 am

revgiblet wrote:...my wife is hogging the TV but insists that we're in the same room as each other.
Heh - join the club.

"You spend more time on that computer than you do with me."
*next night*
"Well, here I am - I'm not going on the compu-- "
"Shhh, I'm tyring to watch Morse."
R Tape loading error, 0:1

[+[_]::]