If you could chose one retro handheld...

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

revgiblet

If you could chose one retro handheld...

Post by revgiblet » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:53 am

I've never really got into the handheld scene. My brother had a Game Gear but I wasn't that interested. However, I am tempted now to buy myself a handheld to play when my wife is hogging the TV but insists that we're in the same room as each other.

Rather than waste money on any of the current crop of handhelds (far too expensive for me!) I'd rather pick up a cheaper retro handheld and some gaming goodness. The problem being that I'm spoilt for choice. I need some help from you guys!

My question is - what handheld should I look to get? I'm only really interested in anything pre-GBA. I would only play it rarely too, so only need a couple of quality games. I would probably be interested in a really good RPG/strategy title and a decent puzzle game (but not Tetris).

I was really tempted by the Neo Geo after reading the article in Retro Gamer, but it's just that little bit too hard to get the games I'd like at a good price.

So help me out. What handheld and which couple of games would you recommend to me?

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

Mayhem

Re: If you could chose one retro handheld...

Post by Mayhem » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:57 am

revgiblet wrote:I was really tempted by the Neo Geo after reading the article in Retro Gamer, but it's just that little bit too hard to get the games I'd like at a good price.
Correction: it's hard to get the games you want complete at a good price. Finding loose ones about, even rare stuff such as Pocket Reversi, isn't very hard.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:03 pm

atari lynx for me, some great games on a truly underated handheld (I think it was a 16 bit handheld too, but i'm not sure)

top games:

California games
Awesome golf
Klax
Ramparts
Gates of Zendecon

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:22 pm

Hmm, PC Engine GT. Should never have sold mine...

chapperz

Re:

Post by chapperz » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:38 pm

koopa42 wrote:atari lynx for me, some great games on a truly underated handheld (I think it was a 16 bit handheld too, but i'm not sure)

top games:

California games
Awesome golf
Klax
Ramparts
Gates of Zendecon
Good call Koopa, I have still got my Lynx, easily the best version of Cali Games on any system. Roadblasters is ace too, a brilliant arcade conversion. I think you're right with it being a 16-bit too.

Wasn't it like the Jaguar in that it had two 8 bit processors that essentially made it 16bit?
Long live the C64!!

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:09 pm

Well, the only retro handheld I own is a Neo Geo Pocket Color & I can wholeheartedly recommend it. Although saying that, I am spending a lot of time with my DS & GBA SP. :?

punkpie

Post by punkpie » Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:19 pm

I second the Neo Geo Pocket Color. Although I'm spending at lot time on my DS. Mario Kart and Advance Wars just grab me.

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:01 pm

I hear the GP and GP2x are excellent and then you can run emulators of all the other handhelds.....

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:38 pm

Or a GBA, with a bunch of emulators (as per those mentioned in my article in RG 20).
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:44 pm

I was going to suggest a PSP for broadly the same reason.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

James A

Post by James A » Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:46 pm

GBA just for the quality back catalogue.

Golden Sun
Advance Wars
Anything Zelda related

I could go on for ages with the amount of quality games available.

punkpie

Re:

Post by punkpie » Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:08 pm

James A wrote:GBA just for the quality back catalogue.

Golden Sun
Advance Wars
Anything Zelda related

I could go on for ages with the amount of quality games available.
Good list, although I do think Advance Wars works better on the DS because of the stylus.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:56 pm

I would go with a Gameboy Light. I used to have one of these and they're bloody great, particularly if you wanted something pre-GBA/GBC. Can't really fault the GB catalogue too much either.

Randall Flagg

Re:

Post by Randall Flagg » Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:12 am

Dudley wrote:I was going to suggest a PSP for broadly the same reason.
Yep, excellent platform for emus and homebrew. Have just been playing knightlore and sabrewulf on my PSP on a speccy emu.
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

Antiriad2097

Re:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:02 am

Randall Flagg wrote:
Dudley wrote:I was going to suggest a PSP for broadly the same reason.
Yep, excellent platform for emus and homebrew. Have just been playing knightlore and sabrewulf on my PSP on a speccy emu.
Day of the Tentacle for the last couple of days on mine :D

If you want to remain retro, I'll suggest 3 things:

1) Gameboy/Gameboy Colour. Loads of RPG & puzzle games and dirt cheap. Meets your needs but is pretty basic. Long battery life and small size (on later models) is a big advantage

2) GameGear. Colour screen, but it does eat batteries so long life rechargables are a must. Hardware is pretty much a colour enhanced Master System, so for a couple of quid you can pick up a MasterGear adapter and play those games too. The Master System back catalogue is its big bonus feature.

3) Nomad. Not released in the UK, though there are a fair few of them around. At £100 you might be better off looking at something newer such as a GBA or DS, but nobody can deny that a portable Megadrive is an object of desire. I lusted after one of these for ages, though thats decreased since I found Megadrive emulaution on PSP...
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.