Making games, ever done it discussion

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

OldSkoolCoolFool

Re: Making games, ever done it discussion

Post by OldSkoolCoolFool » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:01 pm

I started out doing some very basic stuff in basic on the spectrum. Although I never produced anything worth showing off it did give me a good head start for once I got my ST which was bundled with Stos. Once I got my head around using screen$ instead of the sprite commands I made some pretty decent stuff. I probably spent as much time making different types of game for my ST as I did playing games.
Jagfest_UK wrote:Looks like your use of the letter T made your trousers fall down :wink:

snigfarp

Post by snigfarp » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:47 am

i was just listing folks on this board, if we start including everybody that's hundreds of people doing 8-bit code alone and it gets into the tens of thousands...
Then perhaps we should encourage them all to come and join in on the RG boards :-)
Damian
New Speccy games - http://spectrum.cyningstan.org.uk/
Psion handheld gaming - http://psigamer.cyningstan.org.uk/

TMR

Post by TMR » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:11 am

snigfarp wrote:
i was just listing folks on this board, if we start including everybody that's hundreds of people doing 8-bit code alone and it gets into the tens of thousands...
Then perhaps we should encourage them all to come and join in on the RG boards :-)
Oh, i've tried a few times... i think most of them tend to avoid message boards as much as possible (they'll stick to one or two format-dedicated ones and that's about it) because it takes away from programming time.

Juggernaut Headcrush

Post by Juggernaut Headcrush » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:32 am

I made a SEUCK game on the Amiga years ago called R.O.T.A.Ar.G (Revenge Of The Ancient ARcade Games), where you played a normal space-based shooter, but bosses were things like evil versions of Pong, Space Invaders and Break-out, and Pacman made an an appearance when negotiating his maze.
Lorfarius wrote:It does make me wonder if anyone from here has gone back to the likes of the Speccy, C64 etc to create new games.
I'm still working on and off on my "Wicker Woman" text adventure for the speccy. I've also made a special episode of my webcomic into a speccy loading screen, which is downloadable in the form of an MP3 (It was suggested I avoid making it an MP3, but I've tested it and it works fine).

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:15 pm

The closest I ever come to doing his (not close at all really) was an Amiga cover disk game that allowed you to build your own stages in a Bolderdash clone (kinda but better, I forget it's name). I spent a long time designing loads of stages that by the end of it, it actually felt like I'd made a game, it was incredibly satisfying I'll say that much. I imagine actually building one from scratch would feel really cool.

Uaithne

Post by Uaithne » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:26 pm

I've never made a game of my own, but did a few maps for Doom II and Warcraft II back in the day.

The most recent thing I've done would have been in about 2003 and 2004 when a team I was involved with created a whole new remake of Microsoft's Combat Flight Simulator 3 for the Korean War. I was involved as their main aircraft texture guy as well as a basic researcher for the Royal Australian Air Force side of things.

Would love to get into it deeper though...
"Not to know what happened before you were born is to be a child forever" -Marcus Tullius Cicero, 46BC

Wants List | Items for Sale

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:42 am

TMR wrote:
snigfarp wrote:
Oh, i've tried a few times... i think most of them tend to avoid message boards as much as possible (they'll stick to one or two format-dedicated ones and that's about it) because it takes away from programming time.
Great idea , i've been coding for months (a multi room platform game) , the design is simple enough and the game runs fine , but i could do with some help with some graphical problems , if we had a thread or topic then it would be nice for others to give a bit of advice or assistance , i did mention it on WOS and they do have some threads running , but i always feel a bit of a div asking about sprite movement , continuous music etc.(although JC did reply to that).
Luxor the moonprince - Doomguard Slayer

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:42 am

I used Lazer Basic on the c64 to write "The Bubbles of Doom" which was a bit like Gyruss - but not as good. . . . it had lots of waves.... starting with bubbles & then just changing the spirits.

Also tried a few text adventures with Quill.

Its an interesting thread - this generation won't experience the joy of writing their own games in the way many of us did. Pity, because its rewarding...

cracking the code on C64 games was fun too, was delighted when I worked out how to get sprites into the borders . . .
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

pottyboy

Post by pottyboy » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:11 am

I've done a couple of things in terms of games programming, most of it programmed in Speccy BASIC.

A few years back I did begin to write a BASIC text adventure called "The Curse of the Red Dragon". I did quite a bit of planning for this one, thinking about how the program would work etc. I even thought about doing an audiotape for scenes which consisted of just dialog, of which the player would listen to at certain points. To me, it was a great idea as not only would it free up some memory, but would also provide a better experience for the player as the characters would speak to you :)

However, I spent most of the time thinking up the story, characters etc. The game was to be set in the land of Arvia, located on a planet miles from our solar system. Ruled by creatures known as the Anezymotes, Arvia was a peaceful place until King Shazar brought the land to its knees and unleashing terrible evil. He was eventually defeated by his own son Gyra, who is now a king, but now a powerful red dragon is terrorising the land and has kidnapped his daughter, Princess Saliphia. With the assistance of Princess Saliphia's noble steed, Scherya (pronounced scher-rye-a), one of a pretty much extinct species called the arkons, you have been sent by King Gyra to rescue the princess. However, it is feared that the red dragon may have kidnapped the princess for a reason other than for eating or amusement. Many have feared that the dragon may be a loyal follower of Shazar, and that it may use the princess to bring Shazar back to life and more power than before.

Writing the story and coming up with all the characters etc was great fun. There's way more story than this, including quite a few little twists, but sadly I never got round to finishing it and therefore never finished the game. The problem was that while it was turning out to be a pretty good adventure (I did a few short demos of the game), it was a project that was too big and ambitious for one person. It was possible for the Spectrum to handle this sort of adventure, but it really needed to be done by a team and not just one person doing everything.

Apart from that, I've done a few small projects, including a game called Trapped which was created using the edition of Games Factory that was given away with issue 10 of Retro Gamer. It was a simple game in which you controlled a ship around a level, collecting boxes and avoiding a mine that bounced around.

"And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?" - Guybrush Threepwood

QuantumCrayons

Post by QuantumCrayons » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:00 pm

I was involved in a game contest not that long ago. My team crashed and burned horrendously, but we made a finished product.
Now, since I'm at uni with several game design students, I may take it back up.

MikeFishcake

Post by MikeFishcake » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:37 am

I tried to do a few things in AMOS Professional. I planned a game called "Spaced Out" which was a cross between Breakout and Space Invaders. (See what I did there? Eh? Eh? ....eh? Hello?). I got as far as creating the graphics, the title screen and the music, but never actually got so far as to making something workable :D

I've been looking at Kodu Game Lab on the 360, but not actually doing anything with it. 10 year old Fishcake jnr says he wants to be a game designer; is this a good place to start? :)

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:19 am

TMR wrote: Heavy Stylus made the rather nice Robotz DX for the PC with Game Maker and drew the graphics for r0X on the ST
Rox was great! Didn't he have something to do with Hydorah as well?

I've done a few backgrounds, sprites etc just messing around, nothing that has ever been used though.

Alarm

Post by Alarm » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:49 am

I created some games for the ZX81, several for the Speccy (and later some MM/JSW homebrew when I got back into the scene), simpistic stuff for the Miggy, and later QBasic. Hardly any of my stuff is archived online.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:26 pm

MikeFishcake wrote:I tried to do a few things in AMOS Professional. I planned a game called "Spaced Out" which was a cross between Breakout and Space Invaders. (See what I did there? Eh? Eh? ....eh? Hello?). I got as far as creating the graphics, the title screen and the music, but never actually got so far as to making something workable :D

I've been looking at Kodu Game Lab on the 360, but not actually doing anything with it. 10 year old Fishcake jnr says he wants to be a game designer; is this a good place to start? :)
Me and my son have been using it on the PC (i think I linked to it earlier in the thread) and it's pretty clever.
It certainly teaches the basics of cause and effect. It's very clever in fact.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

llj

Post by llj » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:49 pm

I am guessing that playing with RPGMaker doesn't count... :)

Even then, I've never actually made a finished product.