Making games, ever done it discussion

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Lorfarius

Making games, ever done it discussion

Post by Lorfarius » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:11 am

It's a lazy afternoon and I got to pondering about some fan made projects I've seen over the years (Kings Quest 1 and Pier Solar come straight to mind) but I was thinking back to my own history over the Speccy and PC years realising that I've actually attempted to make the odd game form time to time. The last I attempted was a text/image adventure game back in 2002 for a college project where you had to work your way throughout a sorcerers castle avoiding various traps, solve puzzles etc

Now it might sound odd for a college project (it was for a HND in Computing) but I wrote it using nothing more than Microsoft Access with a simple Virtual Basic design lumped on the front which for all intents and purposes worked pretty well. I've still got it sat around the house somewhere gathering dust the worst part of it all was having to show off all the core programming, specs etc as that was part of the grade for the project itself I think it came to about 200 pages long just for the code. The only bug I could ever find with the game was done to a dodgy table in Access that let you skip to the final boss room if you tried to walk through a specific wall but by the time I found it the whole thing had been sent off for marking.

Anyways has anyone else got their own experiences or attempts that never quite panned out of home programming?
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

killbot

Re: Making your games, ever done it discussion

Post by killbot » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:18 am

I cobbled together a few Amiga games. A text adventure based on Star Trek: The Next Generation was the first, but was never finished. I then worked on a food-based scrolling shooter called (hilariously) Dessert Strike (ho ho). That was never finished either. Then I started work on a cutesy platformer called Bobby And Robby's Football Game which was shaping up to be decent until I ran out of ideas after the first level. I put it to one side and never picked it up again.

The first game I actually finished was a static-screen shooter called Robin Hood. That was followed by a vertical shooter (Space Warrior), a racing game (Burning Wheels) and a Paperboy clone (Paperkid).

After that, I left behind the Amiga and picked up a PC. Since then I've cobbled together a Pong clone (Mega Pong) but that's it. I never had anything published or even sent anything in to PD libraries - although my friend did (a Dungeon Master clone, the name of which I forget). For me it was all about the enjoyment gleaned from doing something creative rather than any ambition towards actually making any money.
Last edited by killbot on Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Lorfarius

Re: Making games, ever done it discussion

Post by Lorfarius » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:22 am

I do remember around the time of Jim'll Fix It and the shopping trolley game he got a kid to create for the show a craze of everyone at school wanting to make their own games for the Speccy. There was a prize for the best one nothing extravagant just a big box of choccies but to 8/9 year old's it was like gold. The winner was a kid who created a top down scrolling shooter with a whale swimming through the ocean spurting water at planes and boats (I think those these might have been whalers or possibly dinosaurs) which actually turned out to be pretty good.
Last edited by Lorfarius on Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:23 am

depending on your computer spec, why not have a go with the udk? its free and fun.

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:24 am

UDK?

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:25 am

Unreal development kit

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:28 am

Ah thanks :) It does make me wonder if anyone from here has gone back to the likes of the Speccy, C64 etc to create new games. I know there's a chap who releases new titles on a regular basis but I'd class him as a professional programmer it's us mad home tappers I'd like to know about.

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:47 am

Lorfarius wrote:Ah thanks :) It does make me wonder if anyone from here has gone back to the likes of the Speccy, C64 etc to create new games. I know there's a chap who releases new titles on a regular basis but I'd class him as a professional programmer it's us mad home tappers I'd like to know about.
for around 3 hours a week, im programming my own game in c++ and unreal engine, a long way to go, but its very fun, and rewarding

TMR

Post by TMR » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:14 am

Lorfarius wrote:It does make me wonder if anyone from here has gone back to the likes of the Speccy, C64 etc to create new games.
Well, i write the odd game now and then (although i never stopped as such, so i didn't go back to the 8-bits) and just about all of the homebrew titles reviewed in RG are from people with that background, they've all got day jobs and do the game code for the sheer love of it. Developing for 8-bits is easier now than ever with cross assemblers and compilers, games can be written in languages that approximate BASIC on a PC or Mac before they're compiled for testing in an emulator or via hardware link to a real machine.
Lorfarius wrote:I know there's a chap who releases new titles on a regular basis but I'd class him as a professional programmer
i'm guessing you mean Jonathan Cauldwell, but he's just developed a lot of good library routines that cut down the development cycle and still has a day job...

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:24 am

Yep I meant Jonathan :) I met him at Retro North and Byte Back, great guy.

TMR

Post by TMR » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:10 pm

Lorfarius wrote:Yep I meant Jonathan :) I met him at Retro North and Byte Back, great guy.
i've still yet to meet him, but want to at some point.

Along with Jonathan there are a few people on this board who have worked on or are working on games, Jonathan "Twilighte" Bristow posts occasionally and he does amazing Oric stuff, Frank Gasking has done C64 work including Sub Hunter, Kenz does graphics and publishes a fair bit of stuff, Woody's done an Amiga game, Andy C is posting at the moment and he's done Amstrad CPC and CPC Plus code, joefish is working on a Spectrum game, i've written code for the C64, VIC 20, Commodore 264, Atari 8-bit, NES, Atari 2600, Commodore PET, C64DTV2 (not all released) and now i'm starting to blank a little and fail to remember names. =-)

But as i said, writing a good 8-bit game now is so much easier than it used to be, all the assemblers are significantly faster and don't steal memory from the machine and compilers can produce some excellent results with a little time and effort.

snigfarp

Post by snigfarp » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:06 pm

There's also Jeffrey Daniels at Denial (http://sleepingelephant.com/denial/) who seems to be able to squeeze an amazing amount of playability (and sometimes presentation) from a 3.5K Vic 20.
Damian
New Speccy games - http://spectrum.cyningstan.org.uk/
Psion handheld gaming - http://psigamer.cyningstan.org.uk/

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:28 pm

I've used veteran proggy The Quill to make a few "actually quite good!" adventures in the past. Mostly because me and my friends were skint so we couldn't afford games back then! :lol:

When we moved on to Amigas we decided to give the wonderful AMOS a go (after trying to get joy out of STOS on Atari STe :? ) and we collaborated on making a few (shitty) Platformers with it. We even made 3D games! :lol:

Then of course came the mighty BLITZ BASIC! It was given free on a PC mag cover disc and that's all she wrote! Especially when they released a 3D version and made all my plinkety-plonkety PC Platformers come true! 8)

Nowadays I'm not doing anything at all. My son is almost 10 and he's heavily into making stuff for himself, so I'm indulging his creativity with things like Roblox, Minecraft and online 2D animation sites. He's quite the talent!

I'm planning on introducing him to a few Game Creation programs soon. I've used things like RPG Maker and they're pretty cool. Microsoft do a kids Game Creator called Kodu with looks pretty promising.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

Dave300

Post by Dave300 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:16 pm

I used to write quite a few games using STOS, varying from rubbish to reasonable. Got a handful of them into the Public Domain which I was quite proud of. Someone even sent me a £5 cheque for the source code of one of the games! wow!

a couple of years ago I started to write a Chaos-clone (good timing with the Julian Gollop feature!) called The Arena, but I lost interest in it.

TMR

Post by TMR » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:24 pm

snigfarp wrote:There's also Jeffrey Daniels at Denial (http://sleepingelephant.com/denial/) who seems to be able to squeeze an amazing amount of playability (and sometimes presentation) from a 3.5K Vic 20.
i was just listing folks on this board, if we start including everybody that's hundreds of people doing 8-bit code alone and it gets into the tens of thousands...

Thought of another couple of people; jimbo too has done quite a few Game Maker games and Heavy Stylus made the rather nice Robotz DX for the PC with Game Maker and drew the graphics for r0X on the ST (as well as publishing some GBA and C64 cartridge stuff). Come to think of it, you've gone Psion code snigfarp so you count too! =-)