What's the very first arcade game you've played?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:48 pm

Space Invaders or Galaxian in 79 most likely.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Cornelius

Post by Cornelius » Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:27 pm

To be perfectly honest I don't remember. Snow Bros was the first I really enjoyed though.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:32 pm

The first which really made me sit up and say wow was definately Battlezone

Still one of my favourite games,and if I had unlimited space and money,the arcade cab I would own, along with Outrun and Virtua Tennis 2
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

thl

Re:

Post by thl » Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:35 pm

roberthazelby wrote:For me it was an upright Space Invaders cab.

At a guess, I'd say it was around 1979/1980. I'd only have been about 5 years old.

It was in a roadside cafe that my mum, dad and I stopped in on the way down South from Bristol for our summer holiday.

I can still remember seeing this machine, and wondering what it was (as I was too short to see the screen). I pulled up a chair and had a look, and that was it. Dad gave me 10p to put into the cab, and although I died almost instantly, I was hooked. 26 years later and my love of games hasn't diminished (wish I could say that about the amount of time available to play them I now have!).
My experience is kind of like that, but it took place at the park. The year is something like 1989 and I was around 6 years old. Every summer holiday the fairground is usually around that time. I use to went my brothers to see what rides are available.

And there it was - the amusement centre. The place that most people usually go during that period. What I remembered from there was the atmosphere created by sound effects and operating system of the arcade cabinet.

Although I was still young that time, I didn't play on any arcade games. But I still remembered top titles such as Shinobi, Altered Beast, Out Run, 1942, Operation Wolf, Double Dragon and so many more. It's the day that I'll never forget.

Frank Chickens

Post by Frank Chickens » Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:41 pm

Now yer asking!

It would have to be (please wait while brain checks its memory banks) probably Space Invaders in the local chippy. My other fondly-remembered games from the period were Scramble, Phoenix and Amidar.
"A cynic is what an optimist calls a realist"

thl

Re:

Post by thl » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:06 pm

Scooby1970 wrote:But the games I remember most fondly are the ones just after those, Pacman, Galaxians, Frogger and Scramble, all played in my local chip-shop when I'd go into town and my dad had a few spare 10p's to give me!

:) Mark
I have a local fish and chip shop that had top arcades games such as Street Fighter II: Champion Edition, Mortal Kombat, and Puzzle Bobble. Unfortunately it was replaced by the fruit machine!! :o

MattC

Post by MattC » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:27 pm

Not the first video game I'd played but the first arcade game (as in an actual arcade) was probably Outrun. I must have been about 8 or 9 at the time.

Utini

Post by Utini » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:36 pm

Crickey - I "think" it was Atari Star Wars sit down cab waaay back in '82-'83, played at some place on Hove's seafront quite near the King Alfreds Swimming Pool.
Hey, Sweden!
They're not Swedish Mac, they're Norwegian!

Robbo

Post by Robbo » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:51 pm

I *think* the earliest memory for me must be Kung-Fu Master. Played it at the local gypo travelling fairground down on Melford Common in Thetford. That fair is in town this week, but it's certainly not even a shadow of it's former self these days. Still gotta take Jack (my son) to it Friday though but instead of rows and rows of wonderous cabs like 'when I were a lad', it's rows and rows of stupid stalls which costs more to play than the value of the gift you win! :x

CrookedMouth

Post by CrookedMouth » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:50 pm

It would have to be cocktail version of Space Invaders at a local bar.Apperentlly my parents took me to the bar with them.

Kaptain_Von

Post by Kaptain_Von » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:32 am

The first true video game I played was Pong and the first time I played it was in the Noahs Ark arcade in Weymouth towards the end of August 1974 (how's that for memory). The first arcade game I ever played was Segas 'Periscope', a huge electro-mechanical game and that would have been around 1973 in the Alexandra Gardens amusements also in Weymouth.

The second game played was 'Killer Shark' also by Sega at the Pavilion Amusements (wonder if anyone else remembers them...a tin shack down at the side of the Pavilion Theatre between it and the Sealink ferry offices) again in Weymouth.
Cue the music, fade to black...
----------------------------------------------------------
http://kaptainskonfessions.blogspot.com/

M.A.G

Post by M.A.G » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:39 am

Robotron was the first arcade game that I played. It was in the local corner shop. That got replaced by Defender and that was the second and the third was Star Wars. My local take away had the sit in cab version.
"the forum is populated by idiots, and poorly moderated"

Tapey297

Post by Tapey297 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:50 am

Certainly the first I can vividly remember playing was Rolling Thunder. Probably in 1988

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:54 am

I believe it was Asteroids, which used to be in the arcade next to, I think the old ABC cinema in sheffield, after going to see a movie my dad used to take me in for a quick blast. Neither of us were any good at it.

ZeroCipher

Post by ZeroCipher » Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:04 am

Star Wars & Ghosts n Goblins in Hailing Island.
Check my radio show every Tuesday 11pm (GMT) on TotalRock.com & every Saturday 8pm ET on FullFreqRadio.com & 11pm EST on TheMixx.FM also via the TuneIn App. On Demand www.mixcloud.com/djforcex