Best fighter stage

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

harlequ1n

Re: Best beat-em-up stage

Post by harlequ1n » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:53 am

When you guys (UK) say beat 'em up I always think about Streets of Rage or Final Fight :D

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:54 am

Shadowman - I just noticed that screenshot I linked to was a Mugen or something screengrab - Rock Howard was not in KOF 99! :)

And yeah you really need to see the stage in motion and watch the transitions to appreciate how goddam awesome it is!

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:57 am

The Powerstone 1 & 2 had excellent stages especially in P2 sky plane one

Paulie

Re: Best fighter stage

Post by Paulie » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:05 pm

There have been so many great stages in fighting games, some of my faves include:

The Graveyard and the Forest of Forgetfulness stages in Last Blade 2. Very atmospheric and also very beautiful.

The express stage in Garou.

Dandy-J's & Slash's stages in Waku Waku 7. I love the style and feel of this game and those two stages really stand out for me.

Abubo's stage in Rage of the Dragons. Mainly for the Skeme graffiti on the trashed subway train (someone was reading Subway Art).

Guardian-dogs Temple Stage in SVC Chaos. Dark and atmospheric.
My trade/sale thread (Includes my feedback)

http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=23510

Juggernaut Headcrush

Post by Juggernaut Headcrush » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:44 pm

I've got a few crackers I downloaded for Mugen. No idea what most of them are from, mind...I'll take a few screenshots of my faves, see if anyone recognises them.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:49 pm

How do you upload screenshots on this forum site?
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

Juggernaut Headcrush

Post by Juggernaut Headcrush » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:51 pm

Nemesis wrote:How do you upload screenshots on this forum site?
I bung them on photobucket and link to them.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:07 pm

Or find a picture of them online and link them

Geese Real bout stage.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:30 pm

DPrinny wrote:Or find a picture of them online and link them

Geese Real bout stage.
Sigh! Thanks guys. After many attempts of trying to upload a screenshot I give up!

Still, I really like the backgrounds from Capcom vs SNK 1, particularly the Arcade & Building site stages. Other mentions go to Samurai Shodown, Last Blade 2, Darkstalkers & Tatsunoko vs Capcom's Cherry Blossom stage.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:37 pm

Mine?

AOF Stage on KOF '96 (also home to some of my fave fighting game music)

King's stage in Tekken 3 (love distant cloud-covered mountains - beautiful).

Another Tekken fave, this time Jun's stage from Tekken 2. The distant Japanese village combined with the peaceful arrange BGM from the PS1 port is a perfect coupling.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Juggernaut Headcrush

Post by Juggernaut Headcrush » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:06 pm

As promised, my favourite stages from Mugen, don't know which games half of them came from...I added the Mugen-specific Pacman one for the sheer beauty of it, even though it really needs to be seen in all it's animated glory.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:09 pm

Juggernaut Headcrush wrote:As promised, my favourite stages from Mugen, don't know which games half of them came from...I added the Mugen-specific Pacman one for the sheer beauty of it, even though it really needs to be seen in all it's animated glory.
The first one is the toilets from Final Fight (I think) and the third from bottom is Cammy's SF Alpha 3 stage.

Mugen looks awesome. ED-209 in a fighting game? Ultimate. Is it actually any good though or does it feel cheap and broken?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Tepid Snake

Post by Tepid Snake » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:14 pm

Juggernaut Headcrush wrote:As promised, my favourite stages from Mugen, don't know which games half of them came from...I added the Mugen-specific Pacman one for the sheer beauty of it, even though it really needs to be seen in all it's animated glory.
I think the toilets are Birdie's stage from Street Fighter Alpha 2, the pirate ship stage is from Garou: MOTW, and... That's all I could identify.

Seeing ED-209 and Rorschach make me want to try and sort out MUGEN on my own PC again. Gave up after a bunch of characters I downloaded were broken.
Megamixer wrote: Another Tekken fave, this time Jun's stage from Tekken 2. The distant Japanese village combined with the peaceful arrange BGM from the PS1 port is a perfect coupling.
Yes, this is probably my favourite Tekken background, although I prefer the music from the arcade version!

Other favourites:
Street Fighter Alpha - Charlie's stage.
Ace music, and I like the guy taking bets in the background, grabbing money and stuffing it into his hat! Makes it feel like an actual street fight.

Capcom Vs. SNK - Kyokugenryu Dojo stage.
I just like the fact that Takuma Sakazaki is screaming at you in the background throughout the entire fight.

Daraku Tenshi - Restaurant stage.
I like all the stages in this game- very dark and nicely detailed, which suits the art style very well- but the restaurant stage in particular lets you kick the furniture around.

Killer Instinct - B. Orchid's stage.
More excellent music, and of course, the stage fatality which I remember discovering by accident.
Updated 11/05/11 - P.O.W. - Prisoners of War
Image RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews & Community

Juggernaut Headcrush

Post by Juggernaut Headcrush » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:16 pm

Megamixer wrote:
The first one is the toilets from Final Fight (I think) and the third from bottom is Cammy's SF Alpha 3 stage.

Mugen looks awesome. ED-209 in a fighting game? Ultimate. Is it actually any good though or does it feel cheap and broken?
The title for the toilets one was "Worst English Toilets", so I always thought it was a Dudley stage.

Ed 209 is a bit broken, graphics wise...when he turns around, it's just a straight screen rip from the film. Robocain fights better, but has missing sprites. And Robocop himself is good, but why the author didn't just use the Robocop vs Terminator sprites is beyond me.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:23 pm

I've added comments under the screenshots of the stages I recognise:

Street Fighter Alpha 2 - Birdies Stage

A stage from Last Blade 2 (don't think the stages were character specific?)

Igniz Stage from KOF 2001 I think

Airport stage from KOF '99

Gato's Stage from Garou Mark of the Wolves

Egypt/Pyramid stage from KOF 2000

Xiangfei's stage from Real Bout Fatal Fury 2

B Janets stage from Garou MOTW

Cammy's stage from STreet FIghter Alpha 3

Rose's stage from Street FIghter Alpha 2

ENgland stage from Capcom Vs SNK 2
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*