Box Art

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Overheat

Re: Box Art

Post by Overheat » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:32 pm

looks like Bowser from the Mario movie to me :P
Overheat's Top 10 Auctions *updated weekly (or thereabouts)* | CLICK HERE

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:40 pm

[quote="Overheat"]looks like Bowser from the Mario movie to me :P[/quote
Never noticed that before. Where's Bob Hoskins, though?

I quite like these ones, myself:

Image - I will say, that I do like the UK boxart for this as well.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

famicom69

Post by famicom69 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:01 pm

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:09 pm

Forgot about te Rambo III boxart. And, the best thing is, it doesn't change across the formats, especially on the Speccy and C64.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

Vanderkaum

Post by Vanderkaum » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:15 pm

Megamixer wrote:Some of my faves...

Awesome. NAM 1975 too.

Sorry for the huge pics. It's strange but usually I like the Japanese designs the best.

harlequ1n

Post by harlequ1n » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:02 pm

I absolutely love Japanese cover art (for the most part), some of my fave:

My favourite classic horizontal (and vertical) STG.

Same as the PAL edition, thank god.

The cover reflects almost perfectly how you feel when you play this game for the first time, defeated and despondent.

My favourite graphic adventure also features one of the best box arts ever.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:08 pm

My first full price game from Ultimate. The packaging was beyond anything else that had gone before on the 8-bit micro scene.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

van

Post by van » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:41 pm

Nemesis wrote:Image
Awesome.

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:58 pm

Megamixer wrote:Image
That is one of the most awesomest-looking carts of all, it's why I could never get rid of it.

Gah, the character art is so derivative, Axel *DOES* have Jean Claude Van-Damme's face within his blonde headscape, Skate *IS* a toddler Tiger Woods, the guy at the back *IS* Schwarzenegg crossed with Gordon Kennedy (who used to host The National Lottery), everybody's eyes *ARE* far too big/striking, but the incredible use of red makes it one of the finest retro covers around. :D

PS: I think that NES Contra/Gryzor cover was by Bob Wakelin, who was an abso-f*cking-lutely incredible game cover artist, he was/is seriously, seriously good, I hope he's still going these days...

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:53 am

JazzFunk wrote:
That is one of the most awesomest-looking carts of all, it's why I could never get rid of it.

Gah, the character art is so derivative, Axel *DOES* have Jean Claude Van-Damme's face within his blonde headscape, Skate *IS* a toddler Tiger Woods, the guy at the back *IS* Schwarzenegg crossed with Gordon Kennedy (who used to host The National Lottery), everybody's eyes *ARE* far too big/striking, but the incredible use of red makes it one of the finest retro covers around. :D

PS: I think that NES Contra/Gryzor cover was by Bob Wakelin, who was an abso-f*cking-lutely incredible game cover artist, he was/is seriously, seriously good, I hope he's still going these days...
The big guy is Max Thunder :p But you are right they do look EXACTLY like the people you've mentioned.

Devs did that back then though - I mean look at Metal Gear, they based Snake's MG2 look off of Mel Gibson LOL!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

van

Post by van » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:29 am

they obviously got real creative and didn't base this one off somebody real.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:25 pm

RetroMartin wrote: The big guy is Max Thunder :p But you are right they do look EXACTLY like the people you've mentioned.

Devs did that back then though - I mean look at Metal Gear, they based Snake's MG2 look off of Mel Gibson LOL!
Michael Biehn from Aliens & The Terminator, to be precise :wink:
But, that cover art is sooooo much better than ours. Why is our boxart always so fudging poor?

Vanderkaum

Post by Vanderkaum » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:18 pm

RetroMartin wrote:
JazzFunk wrote:

The big guy is Max Thunder :p But you are right they do look EXACTLY like the people you've mentioned.

Checked out the other Bare Knuckle / Streets of Rage cover artworks.

The GG version of part 2 is similar but slightly reduced. Schwarzenegger is missing, as is the bad guy with the many wrinkles.

Gotta love the Western design. I like how the characters sort of hover in the air like action figures.

The EU cover of part 3 is a real disaster though. One of the worst covers ever?

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:51 pm

Vanderkaum wrote: The EU cover of part 3 is a real disaster though. One of the worst covers ever?
Well at least Blaze is on there - always a plus point :wink:

Too bad she's obscured by and old guy (Dr. Zan) and some lightning though. In fact, you wouldn't even know that this is a beat 'em up from the cover. Not the worst cover I've ever seen but nothing very inspiring either :|

Compare it to the US/Japanese covers...I think it's a toss-up between those two. The Genesis art looks cool (Axel using his Grand Upper) but there's something likeable about the Japanese art too.

Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:42 pm

Love this one.